Advice on best free Office compatible software (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
OK fellow Funsters, bought a new laptop last December it came with Microsoft 365, the honeymoon is over and they want £59.99 to £79.99 to renew the license for 12 months :-(

I use Word a lot, Excel a bit and Publisher occasionally, there is lots of Free Office software out there what would you recommend that is compatable.

Many thanks in advance

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've used OpenOffice which is compatible although lacks some of the bells and whistles. I've also used Google Docs and Google Sheets for Word and Excel respectively. Good but also lacks some of the Office features. All the above are free. I don't know about alternatives for Publisher.

What features do you use most?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
It's Open Office for me, been using it for many a year now with no problems.
Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Open Office has been developed by the open source software community for a number of years and is very well established.

For Open Office and loads of other good open source stuff try http://sourceforge.net/

DON'T pay anyone for am Open Office download - it should be free.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
After some research Recently I went with

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Google was very tempting but I wasn't keen on the "big bro" approach ..

To-date I haven't used it in anger... Only to access excel created spreadsheets on the MoHo PC with some minor editing..

Although I did notice my "drop-down" look-up tables didn't appear to be there... But didn't investigate at the time... So it may be short on some advanced functionality if you use that sort of stuff :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OpenOffice.org was once the open-source office suite of choice, but it fractured into two separate projects — Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

Read more. http://www.howtogeek.com/187663/ope...hats-the-difference-and-which-should-you-use/

When Charlotte started high school I bought Microsoft Office 2010 from Software4students.. >>>
Copy of my receipt:

Software4Students: Official Microsoft Education Partner.

Greetings.... from Software4Students.

Tens of thousands of people across the UK and Ireland have benefited from
Microsoft's education promotion - now you can too! As featured online in The Guardian.

Any home user can benefit from these discounts providing that you are the guardian, carer, family member or parent of someone in any level of education.

If you are a primary, secondary, or 3rd level student, even better! More eligibility info here.
Full Version Software, Academic Prices.
From our official website you can select full version software at academic prices including:

• Microsoft Office 2010 from �38.95
but just looked, I didn't know it was no longer available to buy ....

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Another one here using LibreOffice. It does everything I need, docs, spreadsheet, database, draw and presentation (slideshow). If you need it to LibreOffice will allow multi-languages in the one document.

I have loaded the software on the laptops for several of my grandchildren, too, for their school / college work

J

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I bought new laptop in June having been using Publisher for years. Shop told me Openoffice was all I needed as I mostly used Publisher for invoices, so he loaded Openoffice for me. WRONG! Openoffice was not compatible with Publisher and I ended up having to redesign invoice templates for all my customers. Not that difficult but was time consuming.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the links, just loaded LibreOffice onto my iMac, I've used Microsoft office for years and was struggling a bit with Apples word processor, Pages. I've got the best of both worlds now, a processor I'm familiar with on the ultra reliable iMac.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've used open office and libre office. Both work but for me Google docs wins hands down these days.

I'm doing a bit of writing at the moment and I can spend the morning in my shed using Google docs on a PC then in the afternoon I might have an idea to add or revise something and I can fire up my android tablet and without any effort from me I can find the latest version written on the PC that morning and can start writing where I left off that morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back