Advice on air conditioning unit please! (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "Fantastic Vent" is this what you are referring too Here

I am assuming this was fitted as standard as looks like its a complete replacement for an existing one. Interesting though but looks complicated to install for someone like me with limited DIY skills :(
It was a factory fitted option but should be easy enough to do a DIY install. The hardest part will be getting power to it.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: zac
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes that's the fantastic fan. They are pretty good at shifting air either blowing in or out.
Combined with opening a window / vent you can get a good air flow
Not difficult to fit, probably tricky bit is getting the 12 volt cable to it but it can be done

• Informative
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "Fantastic Vent" is this what you are referring too Here

I am assuming this was fitted as standard as looks like its a complete replacement for an existing one. Interesting though but looks complicated to install for someone like me with limited DIY skills :(
They are usually a direct replacement in a 40x40 roof vent , the only tricky bit is to make certain you get a water tight seal around base , there are several vids on youtube on fitting .

• Informative

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
They are usually a direct replacement in a 40x40 roof vent , the only tricky bit is to make certain you get a water tight seal around base , there are several vids on youtube on fitting .
Not for me, i would want it installed by someone who knows that they are doing rather than me who does not. Anyone recommend an installer near to Basingstoke? Mine will be a straight swap for the 2 i have ie one in the kitchen and one over the bed.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Looking to replace my Dometic aircon unit which came with the van when we bought it. In 11 years we've used it "in anger" perhaps less than 5 times as it needs a good hookup, which is something we hardly ever do these days (by choice). Going for a Maxxair Deluxe which operates on 12v, has variable speed bi-directional fan so that we can extract as well as letting more light into a darker place in the van. Plus the optional cover which has LED lights too.

Bought an "Endless Breeze" couple of years ago which has proved okay - dog loved it in Morocco - but the Maxxair will more than replace it - and save us some payload too I hope! EB will go on Classified when I'm done, as will the aircon unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do you think this is anywhere near the equivalent of air con?

Not at all. But considering we aren't able to get the full benefit of aircon for the majority of time we are away it will be a darned sight better than nothing!

We actually don't mind a bit of heat as long as we can get a bit of breeze going.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I use and sell the transcool cooler as seen here Transcool
We will be at Peterborough show if you want a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have a Truma, don’t use it that much but when we do it’s well worth it. Not noisy, works efficiently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back