Advice on air conditioning unit please! (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Lifestyle 696
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Lifestyle 696 and am planning a journey through Europe in the heat 🔥 and think I need to get some air conditioning sorted! I would appreciate any advice and also anywhere in the southeast that can fit it. Many thanks 🙏
PS I'm also looking at the JML Arctic Air unit - has anyone out there got one? If so, how does it do?!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont waste your time with the JML its a evap cooler and very small . They need to be very large to work effectively as they rely on airflow in the space they are trying too cool . In a small space like a moho they will just raise humidity , if you try and operate with windows shut , and they are too small to work with windows open .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm dubious of any of the evaporator coolers. If you think about the physics the unit might get cool due to the evaporation but when the water condenses out it will release the heat again so in a closed space the electric used to power the unit actually makes the space warmer.
I would either buy a fan and keep the ventilation open or proper air-conditioning but it will be at a big price and probably limit you to hook up only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had air con in the last van and I wouldn't bother now
It was very noisy and couldn't cope with the temperature in the south of France, any air con can only work on EHU. Unless you are going to get a massive unit it is not worth having, and a big unit will impact on your payload. Now we use a fan and pick a pitch with shade

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
As IanRJ post this is a far better alternative to the JML , but even then it should be viewed as a means of cooling to get a good nights sleep whilst on EHU with your unit shut up and certainly not opening and closing doors. Its only just over 2500 btu . A european type aircon is about 7500 to 9000 btu and the US RV type are 12500 to 15000 btu , and they two of those !

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have two in the rv you need either hook up or run the genny.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I have a fresh jet 2200 fitted as a free option on our new van. Too noisy to use at night, if I had realised I would have took the discount offered. 7.5 mtr A class doesn’t make much difference in this heat. Has to run flat out. A lot of continental sites won’t have the amps to run it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have a fresh jet 2200 fitted as a free option on our new van. Too noisy to use at night, if I had realised I would have took the discount offered. 7.5 mtr A class doesn’t make much difference in this heat. Has to run flat out. A lot of continental sites won’t have the amps to run it.
We have the freshet 1700 in a 8.7 metre van and if you close the bathroom door it makes a good job of cooling the lounge without being on maximum even with the door open and cooling the whole van it does make a difference, I would not say that it was that noisy on the lowest setting but yes it might be too much for sleeping with.

Runs for a good few hours from our LiFePO4 batteries.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We also have the fresh jet 2200. we find it great. i think the secret is to have it on minimum all day rather than a blast when it gets really warm.
i also agree night time mode far to noisy to sleep

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I find 12v fans as good as anything. There was an Endless Breeze for sale recently in classifieds.
I use small fans as we have not got much storage.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I found that 99% of the time just running the two fantastic vents in my RV was sufficient , so if your MoHo has these or the Maxxairs fitted you should be OK

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Most continental sites area minimum 6 amps which will run most motorhome roof airconditioning units , our Truma Aventa only requires 4.2 amps and has 2.4kw of cooling power and its never tripped out any of the electric hookups on the Camping-Carpark-Aires we were on in France which are all rated at 6 amp .
It coped well in 100F temperatures in Nice last summer
We leave ours on all day in very hot weather set at low speed which keeps the internal temperature at a comfortable level

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Last 2 vans have taken the air con off the roof, noisy, power hungry and lots do seem to leak water in. Both ours did but we buy older vans so that could be the reason, both times have replaced with a roof vent.
Use an Endless breeze and ensure blinds and windscreen is covered

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Last 2 vans have taken the air con off the roof, noisy, power hungry and lots do seem to leak water in. Both ours did but we buy older vans so that could be the reason, both times have replaced with a roof vent.
Use an Endless breeze and ensue blinds and windscreen is covered
You are of course right about covering all the windows to stop the direct sun heating the interior and with a bit of sensible use of roof fans and window opening on the cool side it is possible to keep the van pretty close to ambient outside temperature, but Mrs funfair can't take the heat hence the air-con this time.

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You are of course right about covering all the windows to stop the direct sun heating the interior and with a bit of sensible use of roof fans and window opening on the cool side it is possible to keep the van pretty close to ambient outside temperature, but Mrs funfair can't take the heat hence the air-con this time.

Martin

It's incredible the heat if you forget to close windscreen off and shut roof and window blinds, wow. Like walking into a sauna.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We do have a Fantastic vent in the van pulls cool air over us at night.
I wouldn't bother with aircon as we find we soon acclimatise after a few days.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's incredible the heat if you forget to close windscreen off and shut roof and window blinds, wow. Like walking into a sauna.
Walk into our bathroom/ bedroom after having the lounge door shut and BOOM it hits you, will have to experiment with the fantastic vent and see if this will push some of that cool air into the bedroom on an evening.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Walk into our bathroom/ bedroom after having the lounge door shut and BOOM it hits you, will have to experiment with the fantastic vent and see if this will push some of that cool air into the bedroom on an evening.
Set to extract, open bedroom windows and roof light on vent and it should draw a nice cool breeze over you.

OP
OP
Lucy744
Mar 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Lifestyle 696
Exp
Since 2013
This has been incredibly helpful - THANK YOU! I have now decided against the expensive noisy aircon system and am going to go for the roof vent ventilation fan. The 12V fans on the fridge vent sound like a good idea too, as I've noticed how hot that can get - but do you somehow vent the hot air to the outside??

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The fans go in the top vent and draw air in through the bottom vent, over the cooling fins which are hot, and out the top. Makes a big difference to performance of the fridge.
You can buy a dedicated kit or put your own together for a fraction of the cost.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
We had the Truma Aventa Compact Plus fitted last year to our 6 metre van. We are currently on a site in Mojacar and have the unit on it’s lowest setting. It’s lovely and cool indoors (20 degrees). It is relatively quiet and we have no problem sleeping with it running and the dogs love it. Looks like we’ll be very grateful of it next week when the temperature here is going to hit 40 degrees! No regrets spending the money to make life comfortable!

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I have a Maxfan deluxe fitted, nice piece of kit.

I had habitation aircon on the last van and found it a waste of money.

If I was going to do it again I would buy a stand alone unit so I can take it out in winter. You would save a lot and have the option of using it in your house.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If I was going to do it again I would buy a stand alone unit so I can take it out in winter.
The main down side as I see it is having somewhere to story it when traveling or not using. You also need an exhaust for it to blow out, if you just open a window and hang the flexible hose out, it'll lose efficiency and at night attract moths and mozzies.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We had the Truma Aventa Compact Plus fitted last year to our 6 metre van. We are currently on a site in Mojacar and have the unit on it’s lowest setting. It’s lovely and cool indoors (20 degrees). It is relatively quiet and we have no problem sleeping with it running and the dogs love it. Looks like we’ll be very grateful of it next week when the temperature here is going to hit 40 degrees! No regrets spending the money to make life comfortable!
I have the same unit on our 6.5 meter Pilote coachbuilt it works a treat and at low speed it keeps the van lovely and cool which means we can have a decent nights sleep .

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Currently in France, i take back what I said about my air con. today it is 37c no breeze, when the air con was being fitted I asked for it to be put in the bedroom roof light as opposed to the central One. It is very noisy I would not be able to sleep with it on but having it at the back and directing the air forwards keeps the lounge comfortable and the noise is there but OK it means the bedroom is nice and cool which means a good nights sleep. You certainly notice the difference when you step outside. Were on an aire at 8 euros a night including thankfully electric.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We do have a Fantastic vent in the van pulls cool air over us at night.
I wouldn't bother with aircon as we find we soon acclimatise after a few days.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "Fantastic Vent" is this what you are referring too Here

I am assuming this was fitted as standard as looks like its a complete replacement for an existing one. Interesting though but looks complicated to install for someone like me with limited DIY skills :(

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back