Advice on a moped rack please (1 Viewer)

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
Technical advice please....still looking for our first motorhome, but whatever we get has to be able to take a 50/125cc moped on the back rather than bicycles. Ideally, an Elddis Autoquest 180, or Bessacarr E495 or Autotrail Apache 700 or Swift Escape 644/686. Can anyone advise whether these types of vans are good for a moped rack. It´s the strength of the chassis I am referring to - are they strong enough? I am aware that there is an overall weight limit to consider and that this and the moped will seriously eat into it. If anyone knows what a moped rack weighs that would also be helpful. Is there anyone who has chosen a moped rack over cycles and if so what were your reasons?

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Hi while I can't answer your question directly I'd just like to point out that carrying a bike on the rear will seriously dig in to your payload.
I am considering a bike trailer myself for what ever bike I decide to buy as we only have 200kg to play with out of our 3.5 ton

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a chinese dax /monkey bike 2 seater weighs 80kg . i say get a m,home with a garage far better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
scooter rack is about 35-40kg and a scooter about 100kg that will load the back axle by over 150kg. the chassis on the vans are fine to take the weight, but they stop well short of the back of the van normally. therefore any rack or towbar needs to have long arms to take the weight

plus if this is on a brand new van or newer than 2012 thr bar needs to be type approved, making it far more difficult. sadly its not just a case of whether the payload will cope with the weight

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
There are some very clever people on here who will explain more accurately than I can of the physics involved, but if you look at this image it goes some way in explaining that loads at the rear are greater than the actual mass of the load as it reduces the weight on the front axle - which is automatically transferred to the rear axle. This explanation will show why I never became a physics teacher!
motorhome-loading-diagram-v31.jpg

OP
OP
yorkist

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
heck............makes sense, so not only have you got the weight added but also the degree to which the weight effect transfers from front to rear axil as a consequence. That´s complicated but thank you for reply. Just not sure how I need to factor it into my search. I don´t want a garage because I want a rear lounge. I was looking at a Bessacarr E495 which visually seems to have a long back end. Where do you get information like this - how much weight a certain make of van can take at the rear? Is it on the registration documents?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi. Well we have a similar issue in that our Kon-Tiki can carry a 125 scooter (circa 125kg) either in the garage or on a carrier. We bought a Fiamma Carymoto and put the scooter in the garage. No weight issues but makes the garage largely useless. Mounted ona towbar much less payload due to rear axle loading but more user friendly garage.

Need to resolve this ASAP, any one want a new carrymoto rack?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There are some very clever people on here who will explain more accurately than I can of the physics involved, but if you look at this image it goes some way in explaining that loads at the rear are greater than the actual mass of the load as it reduces the weight on the front axle - which is automatically transferred to the rear axle. This explanation will show why I never became a physics teacher!
motorhome-loading-diagram-v31.jpg

All explained here

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Confused by the post but assume that references to axle loading, physics and females is totally unrelated.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
heck............makes sense, so not only have you got the weight added but also the degree to which the weight effect transfers from front to rear axil as a consequence. That´s complicated but thank you for reply. Just not sure how I need to factor it into my search. I don´t want a garage because I want a rear lounge. I was looking at a Bessacarr E495 which visually seems to have a long back end. Where do you get information like this - how much weight a certain make of van can take at the rear? Is it on the registration documents?
info on axle weights is stamped onto the plate, either on the door pillar or under the bonnet. what you will find though is that the longer the overhang behind the rear wheels, the less load margin you will get

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Confused by the post but assume that references to axle loading, physics and females is totally unrelated.
the woman reference is purely in Geo's signature panel that is part of an post he makes. can get confusing when it appears its part of the post

axle loading is a dark science to many people

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Sorry grammatically incorrect statement should have said "are unrelated"

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I've just fitted a hope rac n roll scooter rack on the rear of my mobilvetta euroyacht 190 .....It has the rear garage bit as someone stated above with a scooter in it the garage is practically full .....my rack weighs 34kg and the 50cc scooter weighs 80kg

Took it for its first weekend away that weekend just passed ..noticed no difference on fuel consumption or on the actual driving of the motorhome ......but I'm still undecided whether il keep it on the rack or use the garage ..im going to try my next weekend away with it in the garage and decide which suits me best

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back