Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
I think my fan-clutch is on its way out,making a hell of a roaring noise.What i want to know is,if i drive it is it likely to do any damage,i.e. the fan disappearing through the rad. or worse? Supposed to be going away for the weekend,don't really want to cancel.:Sad:It drove back from Newark o.k. just a bit noisy,not had a chance to look at it till now.Any advice welcome. Thanks Martyn:winky:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm really not sure what your fan looks like but while stationary i would try holding the blades and give them a wiggle looking for any movement!
You can try turn them by hand and look for obstructions!
A lot of non-electric fans are connected buy four bolts!
Check if they are loose!
You can run the engine and look for abnormalities too but be carefull!
If you do drive i would keep an eye on your temp gauge!

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Martyn is the fan loose at all? I mean does it wobble?

If it is just the clutch is there anyway of locking it ? As you know on many of the older trucks Scania's etc you could lock the the fan as the viscous drives used to play up!!!

Link Removed

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Pat, there is no side to side movement,but it's tight to turn by hand on the fan,i think it's locked all the time now,hence the roaring noise i'm getting.It only started after i put a new stat. in it, though it shows no sign of overheating, obviously it's running warmer with the new stat. Think it will be O.K. to run,got home from Newark alright. If we can't get away next week i think s.w.m.b.o. will cut off something that is very close to me!!!:ROFLMAO:

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
hi the viscous fan will lock if it goes faulty as its not loose you dont have a problem using it.its just the annoying noise and it will take a little longer to warm up. my sprinter used to eat them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back