LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Living in French France as we do, cepe mushrooms are all round us at this time of year for the picking (€28 a kilo in local shops)
Tooooooo many to eat now! So, how do I dry em for out of season use? Thanks.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As well as drying they make excellent mushroom and garlic soup if you've freezer space. Just mushrooms,gnarliest, and good quality stock. You could make a concentrate then add more stock when thawed.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think mushrooms are Magic, I eat them all the time. Shhhhhhh

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Hi Ken, just wipe them over with some kitchen paper to remove any bits of grass etc, do not wash as they will go soggy as with any mushroom, then slice, put in a freezer bag and after pushing as much air out of the bag as possible, tie up and put in the freezer, they will last a good six months. When you defrost them take them out of the bag first and put on kitchen paper then again they don't go soggy which makes them rubbery in texture. Drying can be tricky as heat is detrimental to the flavour and even hydrators can be too hot, the old fashion method of air drying is best but laborious. I agree that the mushroom and garlic soup is wonderful as is a risotto, good luck Sue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back