Advice needed - solar panel disaster ... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I am not sure who the "we" are but MHF is the largest internet forum dedicated to motorhomes and this is the first thread I have read with a first hand report of a solar panel detaching.

There are others, someone a few months ago reported losing one from a Morrelo I think, can't remember who.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are others, someone a few months ago reported losing one from a Morrelo I think, can't remember who.
But how many, in the over all scheme of things, has it happened to?
To balance the position, how many have suffered leaks due to a poorly used mechanical fitting?

What a lot of folk are missing is that HOW a panel is attached would ( should ) depend on what is being attached to
For instance, I would not rely on glue on a PVC, or an RV with rubberised roof, but perfectly happy to glue to a fibreglass or plastic roof

In the OP's case the bits attached to the roof were basically intact ..From all that has been said the panel was not attached to the leading edge fitting, which became detached.. Once it had broke free the panel levered up and the rear fixing stood no chance.. In fact if it had been bolted the damage to the roof would have been major

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Duckato

The brackets did stay attached. This is absolutely not a case of glue failing. It appears that the panel may not have been attached / I adequately attached to the front bracket. Whilst it was fine for a year a cross wind got under the panel.

i am well aware of the dangers. This is not a self build but a new Globecar Campscout van bought from a ‘reputable’ dealer. The solar panel was fitted -purchase as an extra.

It appears that the dealer subcontracted the fitting of the solar panel to a third party, ‘professional contractor’.

The dealer has sent ‘deepest apologies’ for what has happened and I am waiting to hear what action is being taken.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
*** Response from dealer *** Any advice welcome.

For info the van was 1 year and 4 days past point of purchase when this happened.

Thankyou for sending me the additional images. We will forward them on to the contractor.

Looking at the images, we believe the cause for the panel detaching is inconclusive. However as a gesture of good will, to resolve the issue, we are proposing to either send you a new equivalent panel which you could have fitted close to home at your cost, or alternatively we are happy to fit the panel at por cost in our workshop when you are next passing the area. In view or the circumstances, we feel this is the fairest solution for all parties.

As you are aware the vehicle and installation is now over a year old. And even though the panel was installed by an professional contractor, we as company take responsibility for all works carried out on vehicles, and we as company investigate all component failures such as this to evaluate what has happened.

We have also sent the radio details onto the contractor to see what the solution is to the clock.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oops that shouldn't have happened and we could be in the smelly stuff so let's sort it (y) without saying so in so many words of course.

That would be my take anyway.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would accept and move on. However, I would want to know how they intend to remove the damaged bonded brackets without causing further damage to the roof of the 'van. I think you need to keep a very close eye on what is being done.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I would accept and move on. However, I would want to know how they intend to remove the damaged bonded brackets without causing further damage to the roof of the 'van. I think you need to keep a very close eye on what is being done.

Also, ask them for a cash settlement for the cost of new brackets and the inconvenience in terms of your additional time and money for having to have it fitted twice at your expense. This assumes you accept their offer of an equivalent replacement panel and have it fitted locally.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I would take them up on their offer to fit a new panel at their cost, can't say fairer than that. Unless you want diesel money and your time paying for. And as said above, check their work ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Gesture of good will my ass.

Would you expect the panel to be there longer than a year, I’d say 10 years plus.

If it went to court you’d win.

If the contractor was working for then it’s the dealers problem, simple as that.

As said above trying to make it look like that are doing you a favour.

Id expect a home visit to fix it or travel expenses.

Good luck

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I wouldn't want this dealers workshop anywhere near my MH. Do you really want to give them a second chance ?

I'd be demanding that he paid for a professional to fit it it at your convenience.

This silver-tongued dealer is distancing himself from any blame and at the same time saying his offering is 'fair'. What a toad. When he says the cause is inconclusive is he implying that you take crap photographs or that someone climbed up and interfered with the installation or that it was an act of god ?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
One year and four days is immaterial, under EU legislation you have six years cover.

Tell them you expect them to fit it and cover your costs - including diesel and time. If they refuse escalate it to a claim. You will win and they know that.

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Aerodynamic Solar Panel fixings prevent the wind from going under the panel.

Mine is just bonded on with Sikaflex as per manufacturers instructions including careful surface prep. But instructions are for a bead that lets air under and so I was wary and made my own front wind deflector from some small D shaped plastic mouldings - bonded in the same way. Worked well to date ??.

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
This is rather a long post and thus I may have forgotten, but what type of van did the panel fail on? I’m still very curious about the dealer, especially since they used an outside contractor and didn’t do it themselves.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

agreed!!!
This is rather a long post and thus I may have forgotten, but what type of van did the panel fail on? I’m still very curious about the dealer, especially since they used an outside contractor and didn’t do it themselves.

The van is a 6.3m PVC - Globecar Campscout.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The lynch mob out again....a dealer offers to sort a 13 month issue and is hammered..
"Take him to court", screw him for everything you can.

Why are retailers disappearing?

Soon all you will have is internet dealers who will ignore you and 'engineers/fitters' who will only operate with a mobile number.

Reap what you sow !!

If you think you can do better and make a profit - try it !!

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Or the dealer could have simply said "that shouldn't have happened, we'll put it right for you, don't worry" rather than trying to shift blame and rub some teflon on their shoulders.
Dealers are all the same and the sooner they die the better IMO.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Or the dealer could have simply said "that shouldn't have happened, we'll put it right for you, don't worry" rather than trying to shift blame and rub some teflon on their shoulders.
Dealers are all the same and the sooner they die the better IMO.

QED......

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The lynch mob out again....a dealer offers to sort a 13 month issue and is hammered..

Soon all you will have is internet dealers who will ignore you and 'engineers/fitters' who will only operate with a mobile number.

Reap what you sow !!

Barclaybasher I have never suggested that we are trying to profit from this. In fact, with time off work and fuel we will definitely be out of pocket.

I have made no comment or judgement other than reporting the facts.

The responses are varied, but all interesting none the less.

I try to be reasonable and rational .. but need a night to sleep on it before I reply to them.

My concern is simply whether they have the capability to release the bonded bracket without damaging the roof and whether they can they fit a new panel safely and securely.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Barclaybasher I have never suggested that we are trying to profit from this. In fact, with time off work and fuel we will definitely be out of pocket.

I have made no comment or judgement other than reporting the facts.

The responses are varied, but all interesting none the less.

I try to be reasonable and rational .. but need a night to sleep on it before I reply to them.

My concern is simply whether they have the capability to release the bonded bracket without damaging the roof and whether they can they fit a new panel safely and securely.

My post was not directed at yourself but at those who come to a judgement without any direct connection - hence the use of 'lynch mob'.
All I have read is just speculation as to why the panel came off.
I am sure the dealer would like to know the reason also and would want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I hope you get it sorted asap (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Reap what you sow !!

I hope your forum name does not point to you as being a bit of a hypocrite. :xwink:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Since the OP appears to be unaware of where and when the panel became detached from its brackets, the assumption appears to be that the fixing was insecure and wind pressure must have blown it off.

Is there any possibility that the panel could have been ripped off by thieves and stolen?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Since the OP appears to be unaware of where and when the panel became detached from its brackets, the assumption appears to be that the fixing was insecure and wind pressure must have blown it off.

Is there any possibility that the panel could have been ripped off by thieves and stolen?

I think the clue is in the OP's first post in this thread.

"Driving back onto M6 north Tim heard a noise ... initially he thought he’d lost a rooflight but when we stopped at Gretna he discovered the solar panel had ripped off."

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think the clue is in the OP's first post in this thread.

"Driving back onto M6 north Tim heard a noise ... initially he thought he’d lost a rooflight but when we stopped at Gretna he discovered the solar panel had ripped off."

Thanks Two on Tour ....

ludo .... no, that is beyond the limits of credulity ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back