advice needed please on installing passenger seats (1 Viewer)

Jaffa

Free Member
Sep 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
bedford cf mk1 hightop
Exp
Hi guys,
This could possibly be a stupid question, but I have to ask as I can't find any info on the internet.
I'm converting a bedford cf mk1 hightop from a 2 to a 4 berth. I was going to buy some old minibus seats as the rear passenger seats, but it occured to me that I'm about to scrap my car (renault megane scenic).... I was wondering if it would be possible to strip the seats out of my car and use those? The problem is, that if I did, they would be very low to the floor as the seats don't have legs, the car floor raises up and the seats are mounted to the raised part. so on a flat van floor the seats would not provide leg room, the kids would have to sit with their legs stretched out, which doesn't sound great (or legal). i can't seam to find any "legs" for the seats.... can anyone think of a work-around for this? I know it's a long shot, I'm just new to conversions and with 2 small kids (who eat up all of my wages) I'm trying to do this van on the super-cheap as much as poss. thank you very much for taking the time to read this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.... even if the advice is to go back to the minibus seat idea.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The main problem will be the safety belts or rather lack of fixing points
In my conversion I bought a new Ford Transit double minibus seat which has its own steel framework base but more importantly it has built in seatbelts. The seat is then bolted down through the van floor with spreader plates underneath. The van is not old enough for a MOT yet but I have spoken to the MOT tester and he is happy with the way that I have done it.
I have also had the logbook changed to show 4 travel seats and this is reflected in the insurance policy.

Mike

OP
OP
J

Jaffa

Free Member
Sep 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
bedford cf mk1 hightop
Exp
thank you very much for getting back to me. I thought as much. there are anchorage points in the van and i could use the seat belts out of the car, but the more i think about it, the more faff it sounds like.... I can just never pass up a chance to save a penny or two. minibus seats it is. thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back