Advice needed on which conversion kit to buy to make my bike electric (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I’ve ridden a Bofang equipped bike recently and the assistance doesn’t kick in until the pedals have rotated around 1-1.5 lots of 360* when setting off, which I found unsettling, the TongSheng units give instant assistance,
That's strange, mine takes maybe a quarter turn of the pedals at most to kick in 🤔 maybe a different pedal sensor?

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
That's strange, mine takes maybe a quarter turn of the pedals at most to kick in 🤔 maybe a different pedal sensor?
No pressure my friend. I bought the Bafang kit after your fantastic reviews. Battery pack arrived this morning. Hopefully the rest of the kit this week.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Ours take about 3/4 of a revolution to 'engage' the motor, but with the thumb control it doesn't really matter, we have both gotten into the habit of a quick dab as we set off and we're away 🙂.

I chose the 250w motors for extra range rather than being street legal, but there are so many ebikes around that the chances of being stopped are highly unlikely, unless of course you're unlucky enough to be involved in an accident.

Just to add I've done about 25 miles on mine so far, and using the blue tooth app to monitor the battery shows 75% still left... (the bike display shows 5 bars still).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
My bike conversion completed today after advice on this thread. Goes well but may make some minor tweaks. Pleased with the Lekkie Bling big ring on the front.

Attachments

• D1348FC7-2596-47D3-B548-27D4540708CF.jpeg
    D1348FC7-2596-47D3-B548-27D4540708CF.jpeg
    680.4 KB · Views: 39

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Are there any kits which have a cut off for hydraulic brakes? They all seem to supply ones for cable operated.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Are there any kits which have a cut off for hydraulic brakes? They all seem to supply ones for cable operated.
Yes you can buy them.They consist of a sensor and a little magnet which sticks to the brake lever. I have them on my bike and they do work.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I didn't fit the brake sensors on mine and can't see any reason to do so.BUSBY.
Brake sensor cuts the motor instantly, just stopping pedalling may take a second or two to stop and the motor torque may be enough to overcome the brakes in the wet.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I didn't fit them on mine initially. However I had problems changing to lower gears when braking as pedaling is required for the rear derailleur to work. The brake cut-outs solved this.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I didn't fit them on mine initially. However I had problems changing to lower gears when braking as pedaling is required for the rear derailleur to work. The brake cut-outs solved this.
I had the same problem and was advised to pedal backwards for a second or two before changing gear. I do have a sensor on the left brake so now do a bit of both, will probably settle on one or the other eventually.

I have read that the magnet sensors for hydraulic brakes can be troublesome (for some), so the stopping peddling or backwards peddling is the only option and woks well.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Anyone with a Bafang Mid Drive tried messing with the settings via the cable and computer, there is also an Android app apparently (not the basic settings you access via the display)?

Just purchased a Suntour seat post, not tried it yet but most seem to rave about it, smoothes out the bumps.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Looks great. What's the advantage of the lekkie?
The Lekkie Chain Ring has excellent reviews and is rated as a good upgrade for the Bafang kit. The ring has thick and thin teeth and holds the chain better and is offset.

Early days for me yet. The ring is 42T at the front but the rear cassette will need to be changed as I live in a hilly area.

I have fitted brake sensors and a gear change sensor and they work well (not hydraulic brakes)

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Anyone with a Bafang Mid Drive tried messing with the settings via the cable and computer, there is also an Android app apparently (not the basic settings you access via the display)?

Just purchased a Suntour seat post, not tried it yet but most seem to rave about it, smoothes out the bumps.
I have bought the cable to upgrade the settings and You Tube has some good advice on setting changes. I have decided to run on factory settings first and make changes, if required, later.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have bought the cable to upgrade the settings and You Tube has some good advice on setting changes. I have decided to run on factory settings first and make changes, if required, later.
I guess you need to know how it rides first. The App looks simpler but I don't have access to a Windows PC but can borrow a Android phone, so may give it a go at some point.

Let us know if you decide to make changes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back