Advice needed on suitable UK pre-paid data sim for MiFi device (1 Viewer)

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
We are after some advice on buying a pre-paid data sim that suits our needs.

We arrive at Heathrow in a few weeks and will be going to Norfolk to collect our Hobby 650 FSe motorhome that we have just purchased. We will only be in the UK for 30 days this year and will then put our motorhome in storage to return to Australia. I want to be able to buy a pre-paid sim on arrival to put in an unlocked MiFi device. I am after a sim that has a generous data allowance which can be topped up easily if required. We will be using the MiFi to provide data to laptop, two iPhones, iPad and an android device. Most of our time will be spent in the Wiltshire and Hampshire areas. Mobile phone calls are not a priority.

I am planning to bring a four year old unlocked Novatel MiFi4620LE that I bought in USA four years ago. I also have a ZTE MF910V that is locked to the Telstra network in Australia and is probably not worth paying their expensive unlocking fee.

I would also consider buying a new pre-paid UK MiFi device if it came at a reasonable price with a good data deal.

Any suggestions that would suit our situation?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have used the '3' network for years on my uk travels and found the coverage very good. There are loads of different offers available and I just tend to put a new SIM card into my Mi-fi devise when the data runs out. Currently you can get a 12 gig card for £24.99 from a company called My memory, which a lot of MHFun members use. I have a Huawei Mi-fi device which are widely used in the U.K. and can be purchased anywhere.
Enjoy your travels.

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Thanks for the reference to www.mymemory.co.uk/ - I have just ordered 2 x 3 PAYG 12 GB sims cards for out tablets and 1 x 3 PAYG 12 GB data/phone sims for an iPhone for a total of £65.88 (including £1.95 delivery to Australia). Also successfully unlocked my ZTE MF910V MiFi modem for £2 via eBay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like a good bargain. Hope you enjoy your time in the UK :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, have a great time over here. Hope your new van will be exactly what you want.

Reckon you've got the best deal for your pre-paid data Sims - they work across Europe too, by the way. Currently using one in France.

Safe and happy travels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Couldn't you have just bought Three sims in Australia as their networks allows use in Australia and the UK as they are both "Feel free at home countries".

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Couldn't you have just bought Three sims in Australia as their networks allows use in Australia and the UK as they are both "Feel free at home countries".

Three do not have a network in Australia. UK Three Sims are sold by various individuals and businesses targetting Aussies travelling to Europe at greatly inflated prices.

Check that your mifis will work in the UK and Europe. They may be using different bands. That would certainly apply to the American one when using 4G (if it has 4G that is).

The band's for the ZTE MiFi sold in Australia are similar to UK bands. Our Aussie 4G phones receive UK 4G signals so all should be OK.

Thanks to all for comments - we are really looking forward to another adventure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back