Advice Needed - Motorhome Novice we also want to take a tent? (1 Viewer)

NECamper

Free Member
May 24, 2020
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All
We pick up our first motorhome this week (very excited!). Planning to do a couple of short trips in the UK, but then at the end of July take it to France with our daughter and her boyfriend. Although we have 4 births we think we and they need some privacy so want to take a tent for them to sleep in on a night. So, what's the position with booking campsites on that basis i.e. do we need to book an additional tent pitch or can we pitch the tent beneath the canopy if we have paid for 4 adults?

Reactions: SMB

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Commercial campsites have rules about how close 'units' may pitch to each other, (6m apart in the UK) it's also true that some sites don't pitch both tents and vans in the same area, but have separate areas for each. If sites you want to visit have internet sites, look at the photos to see if you can get a clue - otherwise best to ask when you get there before pitching rather than wait for a grumpy European to bang on your door!

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It depends on the campsite, some allow you to have a tent on your pitch free of charge, others may charge an additional fee. Some campsites charge per person, others based mainly on the vehicle/tent/pitch. I use ACSI a lot which is a discount card scheme accepted by a lot of campsites abroad and they normally list the facilities for each campsite including whether tents can be used for free or not. They have a website or you can purchase their mobile app when you have an account. Hope this helps. Ps welcome!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Or if you have a canopy that has a facility of adding enclosed sides. We used to have a Fiamma canopy plus a 45L enclosure unit. we still have the enclosure unit for some reason? Plus quite a number of campsites have cabins to rent available at short notice out of season - not by the hour though!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just been reading up that some sites allow a "pup tent" so is this my solution? :)
As has been mentioned, sites vary in what they allow but I guess you will only want to carry a small two berth tent anyway so squeezing one onto a pitch shouldn't be too hard where this is allowed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use a pop up tent for our daughter and no one ever said anything in 10 years, we now have a drive away air awning for when her and the boyfriend decided to come. The awning gives you more living space and acts as a bedroom for them at night, if we use Aires they just sleeping the van.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi All
We pick up our first motorhome this week (very excited!). Planning to do a couple of short trips in the UK, but then at the end of July take it to France with our daughter and her boyfriend. Although we have 4 births we think we and they need some privacy so want to take a tent for them to sleep in on a night. So, what's the position with booking campsites on that basis i.e. do we need to book an additional tent pitch or can we pitch the tent beneath the canopy if we have paid for 4 adults?
On the site we stay in Spain we just pay ā‚¬6/night extra (we put a small tent up for a friend that visits) they're not interested in what we have on the pitch.

Because of the language barrier it can get confusing for the receptionist if you don't word it correctly, one time they wanted 20 odd euros a night because we mentioned the tent. Now we just say there is an extra person staying on our pitch for 7 days, and all is well šŸ˜Ž

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back