Advice needed. Brittany Portsmouth - Bilbao crossing; will our freezer make it? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anyone managed to keep frozen food frozen on the Brittany Portsmouth - Bilbao crossing which is Brittany quote a sailing time of anywhere between 24 hrs - 32 hrs? Our Dometic freezer has a separate compartment to the fridge which helps I guess. We won’t bother stocking up the freezer if by the end of the crossing everything is thawed.
This is assuming I can't get an electric hook-up and my gas is turned off.

Tis Me

Free Member
Dec 26, 2016
Tipton
Funster No
MH
2011 Movano Van Convert
Exp
I have a normal domestic fridge/freezer in the van...it runs for three full days through an inverter from two 110 ah batteries...hope that helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have. We did load the freezer up a couple of days before we went with already frozen items ( if that makes sense).

Don't keep checking fridge/freezer by opening it up.

We also froze some bottles of water and loaded those into the fridge door on the day we set off. This seemed to work for us. Others may be along with better/different ideas.

Last edited:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Freeze some cartons of your favorite fruit juice, they will stay frozen enough in the fridge to keep it cold enough for 3 days and about 4 days in the freezer, once thawed you can drink them.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Freeze some cartons of your favorite fruit juice, they will stay frozen enough in the fridge to keep it cold enough for 3 days and about 4 days in the freezer, once thawed you can drink them.
Not worried about the fridge we can put frozen water bottles in there, it's the separate freezer which we want to stock up with frozen food. I need to know will it last the crossing without it thawing.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Depends how tightly you pack it, the less "Air Space" the better. We had no trouble with a Dometic Frig in the R-V on that crossing, May time. The Ships Cargo/Car decks are pretty cold anyway. You could also be cheeky:D2 and ask if you can plug in to one of the outlets for the Lorry Frig; units, Some are (where in my day) 220V (60hz though, as are all Maritime Alternators).

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have just come back on the Santander to Portsmouth route and i forgot to turn the gas off on ours so it was on for the whole trip, we never got asked either to turn it off which is what usually prompts me. Come to think of it i dont recall turning it off on the way out either so again not asked. Of course it is not good to leave it on when on a boat.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Before putting anything in the freezer
The stuff you are putting into the van freezer, freeze it at home down to the lowest temperature you can for a few days in your domestic freezer. At the same time run your van freezer on ehu to bring the temp down.
When ready to load it stack the stuff you want to stay frozen the most in the centre of the freezer and pack all the other stuff tightly around it.
Close the door and don't open it again. NO PEEKING

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You could also put stuff towards the outside that can be cooked and re-frozen if it does thaw a little. Or have a bean feast on arrival if it's all thawed (y). :)

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have just come back on the Santander to Portsmouth route and i forgot to turn the gas off on ours so it was on for the whole trip, we never got asked either to turn it off which is what usually prompts me. Come to think of it i dont recall turning it off on the way out either so again not asked. Of course it is not good to leave it on when on a boat.
What a naughty answer!

Reactions: zac

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
We have done the journey quite a few times. Pack the freezer as tightly as possible with stuff straight out of the home freezer and put frozen drinks in the fridge compartment. As long as you don't open the door it will stay frozen for 24 hours.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Agree with Kev1 and JohnH. We have done this and had no problem on the 24 hour crossing.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Our full size Dometic fridge with separate freezer compartment defrosted on the 24 hour crossing , we kept it on gas right up until we boarded and the internal freezer temp was -20 but it still defrosted and that was during the winter time . I asked if I could plug in to electric points on the car deck but was declined :cry::cry:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dangerous,,BUSBY,,

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I asked ehen i checked into port, as they put me on the side against the hull for the electric point. Think it was a French 2 pin fitting. They must do it for lorries carrying food.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Our full size Dometic fridge with separate freezer compartment defrosted on the 24 hour crossing , we kept it on gas right up until we boarded and the internal freezer temp was -20 but it still defrosted and that was during the winter time . I asked if I could plug in to electric points on the car deck but was declined :cry::cry:

Ah! But you`r not an Retired Ex Chief Engineer!.:D2:whistle::whistle:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
They must do it for lorries carrying food.

They Are and (in my day) varied some where 440Volts (Big Red Plugs) some where 220Volts (Blue "Campsite" style). They are supposed NOT to be be live unless needed for refrigerator Trucks, But you could find most are!

We had one regular driver, who went to Finland, And every trip with us he would come and ask if someone could put him his Plug back on his cable. Never did find what he did that needed it removing!. I suspect he went places in Northern Europe where you just push the bare wires into a socket!. Any way he was usually good for a Box of Frozen Chickens!!

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
like @Theonlysue we asked and got plugged in, the guy behind followed suit on the boat;)
you need the continental adapter (2pin),

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They don't ask for it to be turned off and no where on the website does it say turn it off, just saying.
Think there are no naked flame signs,,,,,It doesn't mention it for garage forecourts but it is highly risky to have a naked flame near petrol,,BUSBY:D:D

Reactions: f6c

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Think there are no naked flame signs,,,,,It doesn't mention it for garage forecourts but it is highly risky to have a naked flame near petrol,,BUSBY:D:D

It`s one of those things easily overlooked, with modern Fridges automatically changing to the fuel choice dependant on conditions, so if it was on EHU when you left it would change to Gas, then 12V when the engine started back to Gas when you stop for Fuel. The ONLY (sure) way is to switch the frig OFF and run with doors closed and hope for the Best!:(. Most people take the "easier option" and leave it running (I suspect:oops:). "Guilty" M`Lud, I plead (age related) memory loss in mitigation:whistle:.

Reactions: zac
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Personally I wouldn't bother. We buy what ever we need when we get over there

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
I look forward to hearing from you. Hope you have a calm crossing.
Our freezer was only half full and it had thawed a little but I'm sure it will be ok, think like others have said it would be better to fill the freezer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back