Jock Mcdee

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Fife Scotland
Funster No
Exp
2 year
Hi Friends,
I,ve had my Van for a year now and i,m seeing on the internet that you can make good money from putting your van out for hire, has anybody got experience on this, Thanks::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
collect the hire fee and take your chances.
you really dont know the hirers.
certainly not for me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUUwLX6yjA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf6m8mkKIcg&NR=1[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We all like to think the best of people and hope they will be as caring as ourselves and some find it works well for them.

Maybe stop for a moment and think Hooray Henrys and Glastonbury.

Friend runs a large Motorhome/Caravan repair and accessories facility. Started renting MHs - many returned damaged - comment was you could never predict the outcome - quite young chap comes in to rent - he's got six mates round the corner ready to party - not so presentable couple come in with kids - return it cleaner than when it went out.

He gave up - not worth it. His workshop often has vans in for repair from another hirer. Yes the insurance may pay but do you ever feel the same about your van?

Good Luck.
:Smile:
Keith.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Friends,
I,ve had my Van for a year now and i,m seeing on the internet that you can make good money from putting your van out for hire, has anybody got experience on this, Thanks::bigsmile:

This has been discussed many times, there are HUGE pitfalls.

Van gets wrecked.
Damage not paid for.
Insurance costs a fortune.
Dodgy letting agents.

And most important, we tend to be rather possessive of our mobile HOMES and don't want strangers using it - even family can be a real problem.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I have seen MH that are used for hire and would not let mine be used in the manner that some of them have. I respect my property too much.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
A business acquaintance tried the hire market a few years ago with six upmarket brand new motorhomes.
Two years in had had enough, vehicles returned filthy, some people reckon as they have paid for hire they can do as they wish.
Many other issues and not worth the hastle.
Sorry would not even consider the rental market.
:Angry:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There are lots of horror stories! It is like urban legends, everyones' heard of the the friend of a friend that....etc

Yes - there may be some damage, a window stay might snap, they might even break a window! Accidents do happen, especially when someone is not used to it. But a good management company has the back-up and takes the repair cost from the hirer, and effects the repair straight away - no question about it!

No - As long as your management company are worth their salt, you won't get any nutters who will abuse it. Tight security checks, lots of details and a deposit make sure the hirer has more to lose, thus they treat it with respect.

Yes - the money you make will pay for your motorhome, its' servicing and probably a new upgrade next year.

Yes - you will be able to afford more holidays from the revenue

You have to research various management companies first - if applying to hire a motorhome is a matter of a couple of questions and take your money, then they are probably not that secure - if it feels like they want to know everything, then thney probably have quite a secure hire system!

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To be honest, I dont make that much out of hiring at the end of the day and we do it on a commercial basis which is 100% in house and controllable.

A lot of work.

Peter

Upvote 0

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
hireing out motor home

My Mother used to hire out a caravan we had 2 at the time she said she would never do it again. as some people do not care . Have my motor home now I would not dream of lending it or hireing it to anyone.
I would agree some people would look after it better then myself But how would you tell .
good luck if you do go ahead with it.
Ann:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back