Advice,is this do able by a handyman(ish_me)or find a pro? Also how would it be done. Thanks. (1 Viewer)

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
F195A742-CED2-46BC-961C-7CE816D36450.jpeg
F195A742-CED2-46BC-961C-7CE816D36450.jpeg
F50965C1-12B1-4E22-B246-295E0F56581B.jpeg
F50965C1-12B1-4E22-B246-295E0F56581B.jpeg

Attachments

• A4C03EE0-98B8-4E4C-A8B9-674498B03521.jpeg
    A4C03EE0-98B8-4E4C-A8B9-674498B03521.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 18

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We would get the professional in. Had a small bump which hubby spent hours on filling and sanding and buffing - finally got it professionally re sprayed to ensure paint match tho but wouldn’t take that size of job ourselves.

OP
OP
mark49
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Thanks. It was a stupid question, thinking with all this time on my hands etc etc. I reckon professional is the route. Cheers anyway.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Thanks. It was a stupid question, thinking with all this time on my hands etc etc. I reckon professional is the route. Cheers anyway.
No such thing as a stupid question, with time and patience and the right products and tools you could probably make a good job of it - just think it looks too much hassle for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
if you can remove the complete panel to access the back and remove the other fittings attached then i would say give it a go with a fiberglass repair kit and filler. otherwise get in the experts.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Depends on whether you’d like it to be an invisible repair, or not.

Ian

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
if you can remove the complete panel to access the back and remove the other fittings attached then i would say give it a go with a fiberglass repair kit and filler. otherwise get in the experts.
I was thinking something similar. If the light cluster could be removed could access be made from there and the underside to apply fibreglass resin \ fibreglass tape to the inside?
Once you've got the panels stable you could then fill the cracks \ splits from the outside?
Then a final gel coat.
A new corner bumper cap required.
Will probably show a fair amount of ripples but how would that compare to the cost of a professional job?
Might be worth a try.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Depends how much your van is worth, and how much to repair and if it is insurance job or not.

What chaser said :)

At least the main light unit hasn't been smashed.

It can be done, and done well, with time, patience and attention to detail.

When I worked with "the naughty boys" (a youth project aiming to keep young men who had gone off the rails out of prison and out of trouble) one of our staff members had a minor car accident, one vehicle and a bollard only - an old car and the damage looked far worse than it was. Anyway the lads filled and sanded and primped and primed and one of them (up for graffiti crime) did the paint job. Looked superb when finished. They were amateurs without experience.

OP
OP
mark49
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I couldn’t get behind it, the shaped corner and approx a 2 inch splice to the right would need cut out I think! Then try and build up with fibre glass repair and filler, I think.then filling. Then that corner would require shaping like a sculpture, that’s the skilled part that you pays the £s for. I think it’s a job for a pro with the tools. Thanks.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As a skilled viewer of threads and only a little ability in DIY and slightly less in vehicles. I would have no choice but to ask the FiL who is very good at this sort of stuff and he has just taken a look and said Professional.

Good luck with whatever you decide

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You could do it yourself , well I would but I have done it before so easy for me to say, you are lucky its fibreglass as it's easy enough to repair.

Any bits that have pushed in and overlapped need a dremel/blade running through so that you can pull it back in line, then a small belt sander or wheel on a dremel and take the area down to the raw glass fibre and if you can't get behind just build up the repair from the outside and then give it a gelcoat filler to rub back, I doubt that you will get a good enough colour match with the gelcoat so you might want to invest in a paint job or at least a colour matched spray can.

Check that the rear corner seam is still in good condition as the last thing you want is water creeping in.

Martin

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If your van is off the road, I would. Recommend doing it yourself. The worst case scenario is its done again by a pro.. You will gain lots of experience and gain confidence. For the final paint job, just do the priming which you can rub down and respray until you are happy with the finish. Then you can try the top coat. Again if not happy try again or check with the people that come out ie chips away or similar.
Best of luck

roadtrip

Free Member
Jun 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift motorhome
Missed this post, dead easy just fiddly, preparation and correct sanding discs / wet n dry paper is vital to do good job, no scratches before final top coats. The only issue if not undercover is not to let the filler you use on top of the fibreglass get soaked as it does take a while to dry out.
How did you get on?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Take the Grey Light section off.... Then you should be able to get to the rear, rough up the back and give a serious coating of filler/matting...

Make sure the front is all lined up first...

Then build up the smashed bits slowly... rubbing down between coats...

Does not look as if much is missing.... so should be an easy`ish diy job..

Just take your time.. (y)

OP
OP
mark49
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the input.
This is an old thread that I probably should have filled in the final part to it!
I did try a few body shops at the time and then lockdown happened. We got stuck on a site in Dartmoor where the site warden happened to have had a bodyshop in his earlier days and he talked me through the process and it turned out surprisingly good. Can’t locate the finished job photos but I’ll post if I manage. Cheers again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back