Advice from Scottish / North England members please... (1 Viewer)

Sneaky Blinder

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
South Ayrshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr E560
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Hi All,

My partner & I are planning a trial week in a rental motorhome first week of October 2019 @ https://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.u..._medium=referral&utm_campaign=campsites.co.uk...

...any thoughts, comments, or reviews of the site would be appreciated, especially regarding wi-fi quality.

Secondly, would very much like to test-drive the layout of a motorhome we are considering, namely a Bessacarr E560 / Swift Bolero 680FB / Bailey Autograph 75-2, but am struggling to find any of these models from a Scottish rental company...

...would consider travelling a little further afield, e.g. Cumbria, Northumbria, or North Yorkshire, to fulfill requirements...

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Sneaky Blinder.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Are you thinking of pitching your rental MH for a week In one place?
If that’s likely to be your pattern of useage you might also consider a caravan (more room and easier to get about places in your car).
If you’re likely to move round every couple of days I would consider doing that for your trial week too. Lots of lovely places in Dumfries and Galloway ... I only know Loch Ken as a water sports centre ... our a Primary 6 kids go for an activity week. They did manage to upload photos to their blog so there must be some reception.
You might want to also visit Kirkudbright, Kippford, Rockcliffe, Mull of Galloway amongst other places ... beautiful area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sneaky Blinder

Sneaky Blinder

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
South Ayrshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr E560
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Are you thinking of pitching your rental MH for a week in one place?

Yes, the point of the exercise is to trial the MH.

If that’s likely to be your pattern of useage you might also consider a caravan (more room and easier to get about places in your car).

Not an option, my caravaning days are over, for a multitude of reasons.

MH purchase will include a scooter for venturing out. Suzuki Address looks like the best option for weight / power / cost / fuel efficiency.

If you’re likely to move round every couple of days I would consider doing that for your trial week too.

That won't be the case. Long weekends, and the occassional week away in Scotland / Northern England / Ireland initially. Then further treks abroad for Le Mans 24 hours, Spa F1, and possibly Germany and Italy.

Lots of lovely places in Dumfries and Galloway ...

There are, and they're right on our doorstep...never managed more than a few hours at each, but a MH offers a wealth of visiting possibilities. :Smile:

You might want to also visit Kirkudbright, Kippford, Rockcliffe, Mull of Galloway amongst other places ... beautiful area.

Thanks for the tips, Grianan, will explore your recommendations...:thanks3:

Regards,

Sneaky Blinder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We spend quite a bit of time in D&G as we are just over the Solway in Cumbria.
I dont think we have ever been stuck for a signal strong enough to get online anywhere in the area so never bothered about if a site had wifi.
We've stayed at Loch Ken once I think off season and there was no problem then but may be midges with the trees and water depending on weather.

We tend to wildcamp for a couple of nights then on a site for a night.
Download the apps..
Search for sites,
Park4nite
CamperContact
and these will help you with places to overnight and reviews.

One of our favourites is the Kings Green site at Port William..
Where you can opt for EHU or not if you wanted to try a night "off-grid" but have the option to plug in if you needed it.

Enjoy motorhoming and certainly enjoy D&G:)

Barry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Loch Ken is ok but not sure I'd stay for a week, if you really want to test the MH then stay a max of 2 nights and move to next site this way you'll get a better idea of setting up and packing up.

The council have a basic but nice wee site in Castle Douglas so nice and easy walk for a pint or shopping, plus the one above that Barry mentions as with a few others round that way.

You might not be ready for wild camping but you could try a night on Newton Farm near Gatehouse as it has no facilities so similar to wild camping.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Have stayed at Loch Ken, it is OK but as others have said, staying a week will tell you nothing about motorhoming or setting up and packing up. The WiFi works but is not overly strong but in October the place is unlikely to be busy.
The Red Kites which were rehomed to here a few years back are great to photograph and watch though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back