Advice for winter touring in Europe (1 Viewer)

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi guys and gals,

We're busy planning our tour of Europe which will hopefully start next month.
As we'll be spending time on the continent during winter months, I was hoping somebody might be able to offer some advice on the legal requirements for driving a motorhome through winter.
We're going to pack snow chains but I was wondering if there's a specific requirement to have snow tyres fitted?
Also can anybody recommend a guide, if there is such a thing available, to aires, passions etc throughout Europe?

Thanks

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It will depend on your destinations some countries will have rules on some of the things you mention.
We have toured around Europe in winter but stay mostly South until March/April then head back North in the spring.
France is no better than the UK in winter and North Spain has some very high mountains that will produce bad weather at some time during the winter.
Been doing it for 10 years and never had the need for snow tyres or chains. If it gets bad pull over hunker down and wait until it clears.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
In Germany you will need winter tyres fitted by law.

The Tinca's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Lots of places in northern Italy require Snow Chains to be carried from November to March - having said that they're probably not expensive and may be worth the investnent

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks for your replies, all very helpful.
As we're hoping to be in Germany for christmas I guess we'd better invest in some winter tyres.
Are these likely to wear quickly in summer conditions?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Bill and Shell - Hope you enjoy your motorhome travels -
Winter Tyres - now there is a subject that a lot of us are going to give you different answers as to what might be best. Another post is already running now.
I think you will find that it is illegal and you may get fined if you get stuck on German roads due to conditions and your tyres -
So - as suggested - you can sit it out on Stellplatze - campsite - layby etc and you will be legal (i think) But - you have snow chains - if you get really stuck. Answers also depend on the weight of your van - which countries you are travelling in - and possibly some specific routes/passes - Just do lots of research on RAC or AA websites with regard to driving in the countries you are visiting.
If you are going mostly to the Cities you probably have some choice - If going down to Bavaria and into Austria then yep Winter Tyres are probably very sensible for you.
As to the wear rate - should be fine - most motorhome tyres get changed due to age I think rather than lack of tread.
Steve

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive got winter tyres on my van courtesy of armytwowheels the ride is much better than the vancos i had on previously cant comment on wear as they have only just gone on 2000 miles ago

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Would definitely consider a winter Waxoyl job if you don't already have one under the van to protect from salt corrosion. Follow the manufacturers advice about doing the floor though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The term winter tyres describes tyres which are made with a softer compound. When these first came out they weren't recommended for use in summer but the modern ones can be used all year round, but check the manufacturer's recommendations of course. Winter tyres can have normal tread patterns but they still grip better on snow and ice than a non-winter tyre with a similar tread pattern.

The other type are M+S tyres which have a tread designed to grip in mud and snow. Not all M+S tyres are tested for cold weather, for this you need an M+S tyre which has a snowflake on it.

It is a legal requirement in some places to have M+S tyres fitted but they don't have to have the snowflake but you would be advised to use such tyres if you intended to do a lot of driving in snowy places.

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/marking-laws/markings-article

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks for all of your advice, you guys are really helpful.
After a little more research, it looks like an all season tyre might just do the trick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back