Advice for a relativley Newbie to Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Having recently experienced Motorhoming via a hired Trailer Team 747 MH from Just Go back in early April and traveling down through France into Spain, stopping a few days at La Torre del Sol convinced us that we needed to swap the Caravan for our own MH. After searching through the normal channels and visiting a few dealers, we recently took ownership of our very own 2016 Adria M670 SL silver edition. We are intending to make a similar trip in August and would be very grateful for any advice on; the best route, ideally a mixture of major and minor trunk roads and autoroutes, and good safe places to stop off overnight on route. We are also looking to purchase a couple of electric cycles and again any advice in that area would be much appreciated.

Just in case you wondering how we made our way to Spain in April, here goes. We only planned the first 2 days; Day 1 ferry from Dover across to Calais stopping at Château du Gandspett near St Omer for 2 nights, before consulting the map and heading off via Paris to Rambouillet, for the 3rd night. Again consulting the map and heading down to Niort where we where very fortunate to meet fellow motor homer's Dave and Jud who where also travelling down to Spain, they very kindly shared details of their chosen route and stop over points, all affiliated Caravan & Motorhome sites. before parting our ways at Narbonne before we set off into Spain and La Torre del Sol. We managed to find our way back on our own. We both said it was the best holiday we had ever had, and it convinced us Motor Homing was the way forward.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you need the Campercontact app and use some of the Aires as you go down France, much easier than messing about with campsites for a night or two IMO.

Your best route might depend if you want to crack on and get there using tolls or just amble along off the tolls and see a bit of countryside at a sedate pace.

I think Spain in August could be hot/very hot, lots of nice places in France/Germany/Netherland etc.

Martin

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Loads of info online about best routes through France. The French and Spanish are on Holiday until early September so it’s HIGH Season and Spain can be VERY Hot.

As for the best camp sites. Everyone’s taste is different, some of us have dogs with us and some don’t, some like a swim in a pool, some people just want to chill out on a quiet site.

So get yourself a book on campsites and find what you think sounds nice then have a look on Trip Advisor and check what people are saying.

We spent a whole afternoon looking for a site in France for on the way home.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You can buy the Aires of France books, North and South. Avoid any motorway aires and go for the small village ones. Many are free and have water and emptying facilities. We use these when we are travelling and always pick the free ones. There are literally hundreds to choose from and we have always felt safe.

Many routes through France and Spain run close by to the Toll roads and are pretty good. We generally avoid the tolls, unless it is apparent that we will miss a busy town if we use one. Driving down to Spain this year we spent €30 on tolls.

If you plan to camp out of season, get an ACSI card and book and you will save a lot on campsite fees.

(Mrs QFour)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Lots of information in here if you do a few searches.

If you want to check aires out if you feel unsure of using them there are a lot of videos on you tube, try https://www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

There is also a good thread on the go now, just search on the user Fidget.

Maybe not many will be on your chosen route, but it shows what is available outside of formal sites on your travels.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You really need a satnav if you haven't already got one. Set it to "avoid tolls" if you wish, dial in your destination, say an aire, then just let it plot the route. It should show you the route, which you can then relate to the map. We use the Michelin road atlases for France and Spain. They are not perfect but good enough. :)
There are some wonderful bits in northern Spain where it will be cooler (see image below of the beach a few paces from where I'm sitting now) but you would probably want to book in August - everywhere near the coast will be heaving.
Does it have to be August? :)

DSC_0392-EFFECTS.jpg

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Thank you all so very much for your assistance and advice. DBK, if not August when would you recommend, we want to make sure we get some Sun.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Bronson

Free Member
Jul 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi Derry, I have done a route for you as you have requested mixed roads.
From Calais A16 to Abbeville - A28 Rouen - A13 - N154 Evereux - Dreux - N10 Chartres - A20 Chateauroux - Limoges - A52 Montauban - A64 Toulouse - Saint Gaudens - N125 Boutx - Go over the Pyrenees and through the National Park - Then pass through the Spanish Border - N230 - A14 Lleida - A240 Valls - C14 Reus - La Torre del Sol. Its about 840 miles, I avoid Paris like the plague.

Have a good one
Best Regards Ben

Upvote 0

Benjamin Bronson

Free Member
Jul 15, 2018
Funster No
Just to add to my last reply, Get the Vicorous book on all the Aires in Southern France and Spain, regarding Sites I would suggest ACSI book

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
@Derry Wilson ,
September , kids all gone back too school , weather still very good , we prefer France as its not too hot for us & dog , we use only aires , mostly free ,
get a mifi & sat nav +the camper contact app. you cant go wrong
if you need any suggestions on good aires let the forum know your intended route ,& me or someone will come up with aires safe & nice to use on your route.
Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Thank you all very very much for the advice, all of which has been taken on board. 1 last question, what is the best Satnav, ideally one where we can input details of the HM

Once again many thanks, one and all.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wouldnt bother with the books if your a smartphone user just get campercontact and motorhome parkings apps

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I personally use a tomtom camper caravan one , found it very good , but as with all satnavs you still have to use a bit of common sense , if the road doesn't look suitable don't use it and it will and carry on the satnav will re plan.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You are best to buy a sat nav which allows you to put in your vehicle measurements. Saves being taken up narrow roads , low tunnels etc.

Always keep aware to your surroundings as they are never 100% accurate.

Upvote 0

Suzeworld

Free Member
Aug 7, 2018
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Researching the options
Exp
You can buy a route planning map for France: published by Michelin, called Grand Itinéraires: a traditional paper fold out thing that’ll cover your picnic table and show you main roads / toll roads /bis options (that’s parallel routes for busy stretches) and notorious busy spots.

We don’t have a MH yet but have toured a lot in France and find that overview paper map a useful tool to check against anything more techy.

Maybe I can share a link? https://travel.michelin.co.uk/franc...-national-map-726-scale-11-000-000-1949-p.asp

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I find in France search for sites app is best (and free) we only ever use Aires, avoid toll roads and just head in a general direction, however if you have chosen Spain as a destination, then probably set your sat nav and then once you have had enough if driving start looking on the apps for an Aire.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you all so very much for your assistance and advice. DBK, if not August when would you recommend, we want to make sure we get some Sun.
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your question. If you want to attract someone's attention put an @ in front of their username @Derry Wilson :)
Depends where you going but generally June is a good month almost everywhere and it will be quieter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back