Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Been reading lots of advice where people say 'get the layout that suits you' when buying MH (still in our sights but probate from mum's estate and lack of time to search aren't helping). But how will we know? We 'think' that we would prefer a bit more seating than bed area, but dunno if making up a bed each night will be a ball ache. Don't think we'd need a big garage (but that could be famous last words) and I've quite liked the one or two mohos I've seen that have got rear kitchens. What experiences have you had that have helped you to decide on the right layout for you?

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I love it! Just wait till I get to the moho dealers and go through these routines. I imagine people standing outside trying to guess what I'm doing - like moho charades "she's trying to get her walking boots on. Now she's making a chilli. Oh, now she's trying to find somewhere to hide her iPad and £2000 before she goes out". Ta!

I reckon any experienced dealer would recognise such antics as coming from someone who knew what they were looking for/at and were seriously looking to buy.
And don't forget, any decent motorhome will have a dedicated space on the dash/front seat for Rolexes, iPads and rolls of cash.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our van 3 years ago and I had it set in my mind of exactly what design I wanted and over time you find bits aren't right for your lifestyle. We are picking up our new AutoTrail Dakota next week fixed bed because firstly I don't want to make a bed up every night and if one of you want to go to bed the other can carry on enjoying the evening. The other area that I found frustrating was having to work around the toilet when drying myself after a shower, also the size of the shower. The new Dakota met all our requirement, a much larger fridge for the beer, a larger bathroom and a bigger shower, and a dressing table area with a large mirror (that's for the wife not me)I would agree with previous comments everyone is individual and uses the van in different ways, you will have a different opinion after a few years and probably want to tweet the design. If your buying a new van now think carefully or rent a few to gauge what's best for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I can't speak with any degree of experience as we are just setting out on the moho thing, being ex caravanners of quite a few years. The principle is pretty much the same though, get away and do your own thing for a while. Do what we did. Go to a dealer, tell them what you would like to do when you're away, how long for, whether you want to take bike(s), if you need a fixed bed/overhead bed ( not too keen myself as it makes me feel a bit claustrophobic) or if you're happy to make it up when needed. Then take a wander around the different models/layouts. You'll get a lot of help just Googling too. Take your time. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
All the above is how we bought our vans! OH always asked to test drive and we were surprised how some dealers were not to keen at first thought we were time wasters!always try the toilet out(not literally !) again salesmen very surprised!changed our MH because French bed was a little small so have a bigger bed with a garage underneath. The garage seemed huge when empty but soon filled up! Lots of visits to dealers etc and try them out ! Love the scrambled egg method previously said! Even after buying we visited twice again until we picked it up. Enjoy as it is nerve wracking and exciting! Wait until the first drive home!!!

Upvote 0

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Hi we have a Swift Kontiki and the layout for us is what we were looking for plenty of lounge seating, extra seatbelts fixed bed separate shower ,and a huge garage we love it ...it has everything we were looking for ...the fixed twin beds are extremely comfy with Duvalay mattresses which can also be made into a transverse double the lightly shaded area in the lounge seating plan can be removed for when the rear seatbelts are being used by our grandchildren there is also a little circular coffee table for when we are relaxing having a drink in the evenings and can be swivelled out of the way when not used
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Buy a Comanche & get the best of everything! Great lounge at the front, kitchen in the middle, shower/bathroom next & then lovely bed at the rear. I really don't think you could do it any better! Daft making up beds at night! Daft having to climb over each other in the night! Daft having a big empty space you'll fill with rubbish some call a garage! Go and look!

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
What ever you get their will alway be times when you think. If only I want for this, or if I want for that.

We have a 649 with a rear lounge. Why did we go for this. If we want a fixed bed, we can use the luton, or leave the rear lounge made up as a bed. Mattress topper and its as good as a normal bed.
If we want to lounge about we have the rear lounge. If we want more space in the kitchen we have the dinette table to use. Yes, I would like a big garage to carry all the crap I don't really need. But I would rather have more room inside the van for us to use than to store crap I never use and take just in case.

Bikes (expensive ones) go an a bike rack, well covered and several locks and alarm. and if they are stolen they are insured.

But if I do see a MH with a big garage I do tend to drool. But then I sit back and relax in my big lounge..

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's good to hear from us all about what's best, but the only way will be to try them all and see and that way you'll get it right. I spent 2 years looking for MY perfect motorhome, it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but it is for me.

After 2 trips to the NEC and sitting in EVERY motorhome on show, I wanted a fixed double at the rear, with the overcab bed for storage or guests/family. I never realised how useful and important the overcab was until I'd had it a while. I knew I wanted a motorhome with one, but the storage they offer is second to none.

I took notes and when I finally spent my pennies on my home, it had the fixed rear double, overcab double and 2 sofa seats facing each other that easily sat 6 and could also become a bed.

I also wanted a separate shower that worked really well, with good reasonable fresh and grey water tanks. I wanted a separate toilet and I wanted a solar panel. I also wanted 2 long sofas that converted to a bed. It had to have a reverse camera, a microwave, a decent kitchen that had a sink AND a draining board (most don't I'm afraid) and a decent oven, hob and grill (again lots don't).

I wanted the external BBQ and shower points and an awning. I also wanted alloy wheels and a tow bar. All a big ask, but that's what I wanted and that's what I found. Get yourself to a show, it's really the only way you'll find what you need and then you can decide if you want a new one or look for a secondhand one, which is what I did and was very happy with the money I spent.

I haven't regretted any of it and love that I now have a motorhome and can't describe how much fun they are to own. They're not cheap as there's maint costs, insurance etc and then the money to keep it in good working order, but all in all, it's worth every penny.

Happy motorhoming

Upvote 0

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Your first limits will be budget and where to park it when not in use. But if it is possible do try to hire, borrow or holiday in one first.
We thought about our layout for over a year and still got it wrong.
Our bed takes less than a minute to make up. But we don't always want to go to bed or get up at the same time.
As said before everyone uses MH differently. Storage is important but needs to be easily accessible. Nothing can beat using one before buying.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
If this thread has told you anything it is that there is no right / wrong / best / worst as we all have different desires and needs.

Think about what YOU want and decide from there - if you find it is not right then you can always change it without too much cost.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Whatever layout you decide on make sure you don't forget PAYLOAD.

No point in having masses of storage space is using if would make you illegal.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Key need for us was a fixed double bed. Bedmaking is otherwise a pain and we won't use sleeping bags, need proper sheets duvet etc. Also worth considering where the bedding is going to be stored if not a fixed bed a double duvet and 4-6 pillows takes quite a space if you need to pack them away.
A main need for me was a large washroom and proper shower as I never use site facilities (if on a site). The compromise in our case was being a bit larger than I would have liked (7.6m), but has a decent lounge/dining area which seats 5, 7 at a pinch with decent sized kitchen and a drop down double bed if anyone is staying. It is my umpteenth mh but swmbos second. Another advantage of this layout is if SWMBO wants to watch TV (usually some rubbish like Corrie) I can read lying on the bed (when I invariably fall asleep especially after a big dinner and a few vins rouge).
M010-layout.jpg

Upvote 0

Aeolus

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All, First post on here so make allowances please...:). My wife and I are retired late 60's so any motorhome over 3.5 tonnes is not worth the hassle with the DVLA (in our ill informed opinion). The only person likely to come motorhoming with us is our granddaughter who is 19 months old at the moment so it would only be the odd day out at the beach etc for a while. We had a caravan for a while and used to live full time on a small yacht in France/Spain so we are used to living in confined spaces (The motorhomes we have looked at seem v.spacious/luxurious by comparison to our fridgeless, showerless, heaterless much missed little boat!).

We think are looking for:

Coachbuilt, 4 berths, 4 seat belts, Under 3500 kg, conventional oven/grill/hob cooker (my Type 2 diabetes means we home cook a lot), transverse fixed bed, £30k - £40k, 2011 onwards.

Any suggestions as to make/model coz I have been visiting a lot of websites without much success and doing the rounds of the local dealers is not going well either.

From reading this Thread I appreciate we are embarking on a long journey but if anyone could give us a heads up it would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi All, First post on here so make allowances please...:). My wife and I are retired late 60's so any motorhome over 3.5 tonnes is not worth the hassle with the DVLA (in our ill informed opinion). The only person likely to come motorhoming with us is our granddaughter who is 19 months old at the moment so it would only be the odd day out at the beach etc for a while. We had a caravan for a while and used to live full time on a small yacht in France/Spain so we are used to living in confined spaces (The motorhomes we have looked at seem v.spacious/luxurious by comparison to our fridgeless, showerless, heaterless much missed little boat!).

We think are looking for:

Coachbuilt, 4 berths, 4 seat belts, Under 3500 kg, conventional oven/grill/hob cooker (my Type 2 diabetes means we home cook a lot), transverse fixed bed, £30k - £40k, 2011 onwards.

Any suggestions as to make/model coz I have been visiting a lot of websites without much success and doing the rounds of the local dealers is not going well either.

From reading this Thread I appreciate we are embarking on a long journey but if anyone could give us a heads up it would be much appreciated.

German or British..budget goes a lot further if you do a personal import. Try and find a van with a MIRO of around 2800 kg. that allows 200 kg for extras (awnings second batteries etc..are heavy) leaving a workable 500 Kg payload

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/30435-safe-loading-and-payloads

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/commun...cal-and-advice/motorhomes/Payloads-/rt/58119/

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Having paid our dues in a classic VW Kombi we got heartily sick of turning beds into tables into beds ad infintum, so when we bought a proper MH we opted for an overcab double bed and two rear permanent bunks. The lower of the two bunks can be hinged upwards to double the garage height but we've never needed to. It's technically a 6 berth, but we rarely if ever make the dinette into a bed.

656-layout_day.jpg

The big advantage of our chosen layout is if there's more than two of us and the weather turns bad or we want a bit of personal space in the evening we can all park ourselves at different points around the MH without getting in each others' way, even though it's only medium-sized. Having at least one bed out also means you can have a nap at a service area on a long journey.

If I was going to buy another MH I'd probably go for one with swivelling front seats, as that space is largely wasted when we're parked up.

The only other layout issue for me would be that I don't like having the TV mounted high up as it puts a crick in my neck.

Your comment about the waste of the front seats is exactly the only thing that we don't like about our Autoroller 707. It is a waste of space. We love everything else about the van although we did turn our second singl dinette into a sofa as we prefer the space that it gives us.

My advice is the same as everyone else....get inside loads of vans, sit down, lie down, turn around in the bathroom and decide what your priorities are. We personally adore our huge king size over cab bed but we are still sprightly enough to climb up. Our next van may be with the drop down style.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all, with no experience at all and impracticalities of hiring every type of layout, any personal experiences are really helpful. Of course, they are just that, personal, and one man's meat etc, but it's been very useful to read about your options and experiences. As I read each of them I get a mental 'oh yes' or 'nah, not us' response, so it's been helpful to hear from you. As it's most likely there'll only ever be two of using it, maybe the odd godchild or bro in law, certain things don't apply. But I think the point about having room to sprawl rather than a fixed bed is one that sounds good to us, as we like a bit of room around us, are night owls and therefore more likely to sit up late with a bottle of wine/cup of coffee than retire early with a book.

Whilst we're skiers I think you'd have to work hard to persuade me that going back to a moho rather than a cosy hotel is the way forward - but then I guess I could be proved wrong (never say never) though at the moment not a priority. Our hobbies are low-maintenance and exploring out of the way places, a good walk, cycle, eating, drinking and sitting in the sun are our ideas of fun.

Thanks for the offer of a nosy @NickNic - she time allows I might take you up on that. I've also got to change my car, and that is probably going to have to take priority on the 'weekend search' front (not nearly as interesting or as much fun though).

Just repeated myself here but never mind lol

We too are skiers but prefer to hotel in the colder part of the season and as I work in a school we can't afford to possibly lose days due to bad road conditions which would slow us down...less time on the slopes !! But I would suggest have a look at Champs du Moulin campsite beneath Les Deux Alpes. We are driving over at Easter for our 3rd ski holiday. As a glacier resort it is guaranteed skiing but the campsite offers all the facilities you would need. It is a lovely campsite and very close to the resort. We take a couple of days to drive down, ski for 5 or 6 days and mooch back stoping on Aires both ways.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back