Advice before we begin planning (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
We were just going to buy a MH on a budget, but we're now thinking of renting our home out and going full time. Obviously we need to plan this but it seems a good idea so far.
We will be in an A class so we would welcome your advice please before we start. What are the pitfalls. What do we need to be aware of and anything else you can think of? Thank you so so much in advance.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Where are you planning to go? How many people? Do you have a C1 license? Probably need more details before anyone can give you advice.

Dowload Jim's buying guide before you go MH shopping.

then download Jim's Checklist

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Hi and thank you for the link to the guide. So it will be just us two adults and 1 dog. We will spend the 1st few months in the UK to ensure everything is going ok with tenants in our house. Then we will switch between here and Europe. Yes I have the necessary licence to drive an HGV if ness so going for a Burstner AClass which I'm just about to check the payload on.
Obviously between now and then need to sort out banking, confidential mail etc etc. I have a very trustworthy friend who will be a mailing address for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Also, if it's not too intrusive a question, what about budget to live this way? I guess in Europe we'd use Aires where possible but there will be times we want to go on site and certainly more likely on sites in this country.

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We too have just begun doing what you are about to and this forum has helped so much. Look through and you will see advice on refillable gas, we negotiated this as part of our deal ( they fitted gas it), solar panels, new or recent tyres, payload-etc. We have a Burstner Aviano i675 it's 4000kg and fully loaded with full water, fuel and gas, chairs, table, inflatable kayak, spare wheel, bedding + 2 adults it comes in at 3720 ( we have weighed both ends and they both have weight to spare) perhaps we could have had more payload but we still have possessions in our house as it is rented to relatives, so you may need more.
As for motorhoming in the UK, I have seen it mentioned on here that you can get good deals in winter time at campsites, depends when you plan on going. Good luck

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have been fulltiming for 18 months now and hope to continue for a few more years yet.Our motorhome is in for repairs at the moment (another story :mad: ) so we're having to live in a van that is much smaller has little payload & no garage, & it's driving us nuts!!.A large garage,refillable gas & solar panels are a must for us.We found spending winter in Spain & portugal much cheaper than back home, due to not having the costs of running our house. We also joined the c&cc for their cl sites . Happy travels & Enjoy your new adventures !!.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
look for the house sitting adverts …… we have someone doing it for us this summer (unfortunately we had to say no to some people but only on the basis of first come first served!) - you may find that in return for simple tasks like keeping the grass down, you get a few weeks free somewhere.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We did exactly that for 5 years,
Use a good letting agent, we did thank goodness with regular inspections
Pay the proper price for Aviva Fulltime insurance
The rental income will greatly support you
Enjoy it, this is the real life not a practice!
Mike & Ann

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you so much for your replies, I'm so sorry not to have thanked you earlier......planning has been very hectic. Got a letting agent coming Wednesday and also trying to sort out the best address for correspondence. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
A good relationship is the most important thing, and never go to sleep angry, spending 24/7 in a small space is no mean feat.

We do 2 x 3 month trips a year in a 5.6 mtr van, there's nowhere to storm off to with the hump but luckily we manage that without tantrums.

Good luck in your endeavours, I hope all goes well for you.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you! However we work together and are already together 24/7 which is why we know it will work (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back