Advice before I splice!!! (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I did think that as the terminal thingy looks like it would go on a battery clamp bolt or similar! Go on I’ll ask, positive or negative terminals?🤔🤔
I really must be the most retarded person on here regarding electrics!😂😂
Now Ady I know I take the Micky a bit (a lot) but this is a serious question , why or what purpose is battery temp monitor . I worry about many things but the temp of my batteries has never crossed my mind 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Now Ady I know I take the Micky a bit (a lot) but this is a serious question , why or what purpose is battery temp monitor . I worry about many things but the temp of my batteries has never crossed my mind 🤷‍♂️
What the hell you asking me for?? I’m just going with the flow!! As you well know I know naff all about electrics, it came with the unit so I’m fitting it on, you know me if it’s for nowt I’ll have half a dozen👍

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
What the hell you asking me for?? I’m just going with the flow!! As you well know I know naff all about electrics, it came with the unit so I’m fitting it on, you know me if it’s for nowt I’ll have half a dozen👍
There’s me thinking you knew what you where on with 😂make sure you get a large fire extinguisher 😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Ok I’ll take a stab in the dark here, it could be if the batteries was getting hot, maybe the controller has the capacity to stop shoving charge in it from the panels!!
But then again I could be talking out my:moon2:

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
why or what purpose is battery temp monitor .

The safe maximum voltage to charge at varies with temperature, so the controller can adapt. It needs to be the internal temp of the battery (rather than ambient) that is measured because the temperature will rise as you charge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ok I’ll take a stab in the dark here, it could be if the batteries was getting hot, maybe the controller has the capacity to stop shoving charge in it from the panels!!
But then again I could be talking out my:moon2:
Yep that's right.
Also if cold it increases the charging voltage.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yep that's right.
It's a nice-to-have for lead-acid (including AGM and Gel). For Lithium it's essential - charging below 0 degrees C will ruin them.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
For Lithium it's essential - charging below 0 degrees C will ruin them.
For Lithium it's essential to have a temperature sensor, because if you charge them when they are below 0 degrees C you will ruin them. The charger/controller, if it has a Lithium setting, will cut off the charging if it has a temperature sensor. If it doesn't have a temperature sensor it will just plough on and ruin them. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yep that's right.
This is how I found our battery was knackered last year. The charging amps were 7+ all day then suddenly zero 😳 I checked the battery and it was hot.

Edit; Votronic duo 250 with thermistor 👍

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well I’ve done my install, I decided to put the mppt in the battery compartment next to the RCD and put the remote display up above the door as planned👍 Just got to wait for weekend to see if it’s putting owt in the battery’s. (Dark when I go to work dark when I get home🙄) I’ll probably ask some questions on the display menu at the weekend (as I don’t have the destructions with it)👍👍

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
So.......coupled everything up last night after a fortnight disconnected from the old pwm and solar panel, and on the mppt and last night the gels showed 12.4v and tonight it showed 12.7v and after the lights on for a minute dropped to 12.5v is this what you would you would expect? Tbh I would have expected a bit more charge than that? (100w solar panel).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you wont get much from a single 100w panel this far north this time of year. Not far off the shortest day of the year

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So.......coupled everything up last night after a fortnight disconnected from the old pwm and solar panel, and on the mppt and last night the gels showed 12.4v and tonight it showed 12.7v and after the lights on for a minute dropped to 12.5v is this what you would you would expect? Tbh I would have expected a bit more charge than that? (100w solar panel).
100 watt solar at this time of year will give you naff all. Even my 300 Watts at this time of year is pretty useless.

Very difficult to fully charge Gels off solar at this time of year even if you have 600watts. Once they get to 14.2v they are only 80-90% charged and need at least 4 hours absorption charge, not enough daylight hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
100 watt solar at this time of year will give you naff all. Even my 300 Watts at this time of year is pretty useless.

Very difficult to fully charge Gels off solar at this time of year even if you have 600watts. Once they get to 14.2v they are only 80-90% charged and need at least 4 hours absorption charge, not enough daylight hours.
I intend to put another 200w on the roof over Xmas 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back