Advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

Cathward82

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We are thinking of offering on a Rapido 890f from a private seller. It's 2001 with 31k miles and is in our rather tight budget. I have a post '97 licence so wanted to know if this is something I can drive. The seller says its 3500. Can I presume that is the laden weight allowed provided we don't pack the whole house into it. I can't image they make it max weight unladen but can't find much info online on this particular model and it's now getting a little confusing. Going to get pics of the manual and body plate sent tomorrow as forgot to look today when viewing (rookie mistake!) Thanks Catherine

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If its plated at 3500kg then you have about 340kg payload which is not very much. Fill it with water and diesel, a couple of adults and a FEW clothes and you will be ILLEGAL. You would be better getting your C1 Licence. As M-J suggests you need to take it down to the weigh bridge. The figures shown are usually for the basic vehicle. Add to that an Awning and their build allowance.

Weights.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cathward82

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thank you QFour. That table is what I was kind of looking for. Sorry if this is a stupid question but even if I got the C1 licence I'm guessing that the MH shouldn't be over 3500kg for safety whatever licence I have?

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
They can have the weight plate changed but you still finish up with the same axle weights. Depends what you are going to be doing. We wander off to Spain for a couple of months and ours Laika weighs 4250kg which gives us about 850kg to play with. 340kg is not very much at all. Do you need all the beds. If you do and are hoping to carry 2 adults + kids its not going to work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cathward82

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We were going for the 6 berth as it has fixed bunks for our 2 boys which would mean less need to change in the next few years as they get bigger. I'm guessing there are probably a lot of people driving over weight if the extra allowed weight is as low as this. I started by looking at dealerships and they all just said yes you can drive this on your licence

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You could use an Awning on the side to give you extra room instead but that would mean you would have to take bikes with you and watch where you go. Lot of campsites are miles from anywhere.

Ask the seller how much it weighs empty. He should have had it weighed at some point. MH manufacturers have many different ways of calculating payload. Some take a base vehicle with driver and some water and diesel to give you a payload but they all seem to use a base vehicle without anything added.

So an average 10yo weighs 30kg and passenger weighs 70kg that’s 130kg out of the payload before you start. Awnings are not normally included so 30kg. Allow 20kg per person for clothes etc. So we are upto 240kg already and you still don’t have gas bottles, food, bedding, bikes, bike rack, solar panels, water or diesel.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As QFour says payload is very tight and probably not workable for you.
What classes do you have on your licence?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome...?

It will be extremely difficult to get two adults and two growing kids in a van/Motorhome and not be overweight.....

And yes you are correct, there are lots of people driving around overweight illegally.... knowingly or unknowingly.

It’s like driving at 55mph in a 50... that’s illegal too but many people do, you could be stopped and weighed and fined but if the worst was too happen there could be consequences with insurance etc.....

Getting a C1 on your license will have many advantages and broaden your search for a more roomy suitable Motorhome...??

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back