Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes but they are grown up. Hoping to take daughter and grandchild but they'll have to follow in car until we get it up plated.

If you pack well on your first trip then you should in theory be able to run dead-on 3,600kg for two people with full fuel, but excluding any water in the fresh, waste or loo tanks.

If you were to add a second gas bottle and 50% of water across each of the three tanks, and then add your daughter and the little one, with their gear, then you should be able to squeeze under 3,900kg, excluding bikes etc.

Your van can be up-plated to 3,800kg but you'll only get the extra payload if you can actually place 2T on the rear axle and 1.8T on the front.

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Haha, I felt silly asking the question because it seems logical that the two halves would equal the whole. I did some experiments where I made a "van" (AKA a plastic tub with batteries taped to the bottom for wheels and a bag of nuts as cargo) and, yes, as long as the other wheels are exactly level with the ones being weighed the numbers add up. As soon as the scale is lower or higher than the grounded wheels the numbers go wrong.

View attachment 297509
That van's upside down. And the scales look a bit flimsy. :)

Excellent idea though - gives you confidence that what you thought is in fact correct.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
If you pack well on your first trip then you should in theory be able to run dead-on 3,600kg for two people with full fuel, but excluding any water in the fresh, waste or loo tanks.

If you were to add a second gas bottle and 50% of water across each of the three tanks, and then add your daughter and the little one, with their gear, then you should be able to squeeze under 3,900kg, excluding bikes etc.

Your van can be up-plated to 3,800kg but you'll only get the extra payload if you can actually place 2T on the rear axle and 1.8T on the front.

All the best,

Andrew
You seem to be spot on with your estimates. I think I can quite easily make the 3600 mark. I've read on here that anyone stopping and weighing you give you a bit of flexibility but not sure if i'd get away with the 100kg over the 3500. Most people I know who have got or had motorhomes think i'm getting paranoid as most don't bother with such stringent checking but I think its a worthwhile exercise. Daughter and grandson would only go on local trips, so the idea of following in a car is, I believe a good one.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Weighed ours for the first time been meaning to for ages but asked at a timberyard and they said it was free.......now thats my sort of price!!!. Really pleased with the result full water (130l fresh plus whatever the boiler holds) empty waste 3/4 tank diesel wife dog and all holiday stuff 3120kg without me. So with me 3205 so room for 150 bottles at least on the next France trip!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Weighed ours for the first time been meaning to for ages but asked at a timberyard and they said it was free.......now thats my sort of price!!!. Really pleased with the result full water (130l fresh plus whatever the boiler holds) empty waste 3/4 tank diesel wife dog and all holiday stuff 3120kg without me. So with me 3205 so room for 150 bottles at least on the next France trip!!
Careful not to overload the front axle when you climb aboard ....! :imoutahere:;)

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
Got round to weighing our Twin 640SLB automatic.
Awning
Solar panel
Extra battery
2 x 6kg gas
Approx 80% fuel
Bike rack with two bikes
Cadac, chairs, table, pots & pans etc
Driver & passenger
No water or waste
Just about fully loaded for the off apart from clothing, water and fridge stuff.
3200 kg. Front axle 1700

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
@Cheshirecat57
It is interesting isn’t it. Didn’t expect to be front heavy with the bikes on and the heavy stuff in the back even with the extra battery and Comfortmatic.
We’re very pleased with the weight, no need to up plate. I think we travel light though - we’re loaded up for three weeks away and still have two empty cupboards!

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I think that says more about the storage in th ‘Twin’ to be honest
Remember, fresh water is at the back over the axle

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pretty sure we muzt have been overweight coming back from our last trip at the weekend Never seen so much wine when I unpacked Bought in France and Spain over a couple of months I'd forgotten how much we'd got. :wine:

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
I’m pretty sure we’ve been overweight many a time when we had the coachbuilt - not with wine but with three teenagers on board and their bikes and surfboards!
Nice to know we can take a decent amount of water - it’ll act as ballast.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Thanks @loutalucat - that's very helpful (y)...and a great result considering auto gearbox as well. Picking up our SLB today :D and I reckon first addition will be bike rack - did you go for the fiamma one?

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
@Ernesto yes we did go for the Fiamma it’s a 200 DJ which is for 35kg. It seems robust enough though if you’re a bit on the short side you’d have a bit of a struggle to get the bikes up.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
@loutalucat thanks (y) - the height shouldn't be an issue for us - what I am a bit iffy about is drilling the holes in the rear doors for the security screws. I was wondering whether it might be possible/simpler to replace the bolts used to secure the rails, with some form of tamper proof security bolt?
Although not as secure as screwing through from the inside of the van, I'd imagine most bike thieves wouldn't go tooled up to undo this type of bolt.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@loutalucat thanks (y) - the height shouldn't be an issue for us - what I am a bit iffy about is drilling the holes in the rear doors for the security screws. I was wondering whether it might be possible/simpler to replace the bolts used to secure the rails, with some form of tamper proof security bolt?
Although not as secure as screwing through from the inside of the van, I'd imagine most bike thieves wouldn't go tooled up to undo this type of bolt.
The bolts through the door don't just keep the rack on securely but also ensure that the door itself takes some of the weight across it rather than just at the edges, it's only 2 small holes in reality - so I wouldn't get overly worried about them, the trickiest bit is getting your hand into the back of the door skin under the cover board without skinning yourself or dropping the nuts!

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
Must admit that this time we had it fitted for us
so no agonising over the drilling!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun