Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Can anyone tell me how to wire up a solar pannel using the wires that are factory fitted in my Adria Coral.
Ta

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
cannot be of much help but on my adria vision the wiring ran from inside the wardrobe down to the battery charger, but i decided i wanted heavier gauge wire so wired it direct from panels to MPPT regulator then to hab batteries bi passing the battery charger, i beleave there is an additional solar regulator that fits to the scautz (spelling) charger but i didn't use it,

OP
OP
PeteS

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Thanks
Dose anything have to be done when by passing the battery charger or just run both systems?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
both systems run together, it's been like it for 3 years and hasn't been a problem,

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure which Coral you have. Our last motorhome was a 2008 Coral 660SL and I fitted a couple of 100W solar panels on the roof. I ran the wiring down through the wardrobe and picked up the existing Adria wiring at the bottom of the wardrobe. Mind you I used the stuff marked for the A/C unit because that was thicker wire

At the other end where the batteries and Electrobloc were (under the seat by the hab door) I fitted a Schaudt solar controller and wired it into the Schaudt Electrobloc - the controller comes with the correct connectors to do this. That way the charging information showed on the panel over the door and both the leisure and engine batteries were charged. Easy enough to do if you read the advice on this forum.

OP
OP
PeteS

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Thanks Peter
Ours is a 2009 670sl so I expect it's the same. Great that it displays on the monitor above the door. Did you fit another battery and was it a gel one ? Did you use the MPP LRM 1218 12V model?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My Adria was the two single beds above a garage model.

It had the original Gel battery, which was by then 6 years old. General advice is not to mix different types or ages of batteries, so I bought 2 new bigger Banner lead acid batteries and took out the older Gel one. That meant I had to put in vent tubes and drill through the floor to vent them - easy enough done, but make sure you lift off the false floor so as not to drill through the cables lying in the void. Also had to change the switch on the EBL to lead acid.

The LRM1218 is an MPPT controller, and was was not about when I did my solars (back in 2014), so I used the earlier version, the LR 1218. Had all the correct connectors for the EBL. I now have the LRM1218 on my new motorhome, and it comes with the same connectors, so you can use either. I think the LRM is more efficient and gets more power out of the panels, but the LR served us well and is much cheaper. Having said that, if I was doing it again now I would use the LRM I think.

As for displaying on the monitor above the door that will depend upon the model of the EBL and the display. Newer models seem to display less and less - my 2015 Hymer only shows voltage, whereas the one I had in the 2008 Adria showed net current flow in amps (plus or minus) as well as battery capacity available (as a %). If yours does that then it should include the amps from the solars, as mine did. But for that to happen you do need to connect the solars through the EBL as I did, rather than direct to the batteries, as some other people do.

OP
OP
PeteS

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Thanks again
Yep my beds are above a garage. My ebl is a 226 and above the door is a LTL 313a that's shows current flow. So I'll go for the LRM and two new lead acid battery's.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If truth be known I used the lead acid batteries because I bought a couple of 6 months old Banners at a good price from a Funster that was packing in. I suspect if doing it now I would probably go for gels. Easier, because no venting or topping up, and more practical capacity available because you can discharge them to a lower level. At the moment the Hymer has AGMs fitted by the dealer, but I suspect I will go over the Gels when they need replacing. Only downside is that Gels are more expensive.

OP
OP
PeteS

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
I didnt think gel batterys would charge as fast or hold current as good as lead acid, but you dont have to top up etc. Varta Silver LFD 90 seem like a really good battery and at an ok price. Might go for two of these.
Not in such a rush now as I found our old Honda generator we bought for a camper we sold 14 years ago. Old but it started up third pull and ran fine so we'll use this until we source some solar pannels etc.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well don't start the generator up too often, or you will not be too popular with your fellow campers. :xgrin:
What I like about solar is that it is a simple, quiet, fit and forget answer. In the summer it starts work well before I wake up and by 10am or so my batteries are usually full again.

Notice we both live in the same town. If you want any other advice on fitting the solars to the Coral just PM me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back