Adria Locker Hinge Woes (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Noticed when we used the van last week that one of the rear locker doors had become stiff to open/close. I have taken the door off the hinges and the top hinge operates fine and comes out of the frame part nice and easy with no evidence of damage, wear, or corrosion.

However, the bottom hinge is a different story and is well and truly seized. I can rotate it using an adjustable spanner (with a fair bit of effort) but have only been able to move it a couple of mm in a downward path (to remove). I suspect it is probably bent slightly and/or corroded. I have loaded the tube with plus gas (as suggested on another thread), and will leave overnight to see if it gets any easier. If I can get it out I can clean it up and have a go at straightening it if necessary.

I have been searching other threads and checking t’internet to try and find suppliers for a replacement hinge part but no joy so far.

We’re supposed to be off to France on Tuesday and so I really need to get it sorted pronto.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DCB4FB71-3F90-44D6-8218-8520B30DEFBF.jpeg
    DCB4FB71-3F90-44D6-8218-8520B30DEFBF.jpeg
    725 KB · Views: 44
  • BE6D7750-CF40-4F01-955F-18F27D917A53.jpeg
    BE6D7750-CF40-4F01-955F-18F27D917A53.jpeg
    777.7 KB · Views: 43
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We've just had a problem with one of the soft close hinges on an internal locker. It's a lift up door and has three hinges at the top. I can only assume that the hinge mechanism jammed as when the door was lifted it ripped out the 4 screws holding it to the body of the cupboard.
I'll need to source another hinge because if it's faulty it'll happen again. It's a Hafele hinge.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Might be a bit of corrosion on the alloy due to dissimilar metals in a damp environment. Stainless spindle, alloy casting? If you can get it out it may just need a good clean out with a round file and sanding down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have you tried here, you can't be that far away , give them a call

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
That looks like the same hinges fitted to my AutoTrail. I had the same problem. After removing the top swivel, I poured releasing fluid in from the top to soak down into the bottom hinge. Next morning loaded it with more releasing fluid. Then start wiggling the bottom hinge back and forth. Don’t be too eager to remove straight off. Just keep wiggling and lubing a bit at a time until it slowly releases completely. It may take a while for it to come out, possibly 10-15mins of persistent back and forth movements. Once it is out, a good sand and it should go back nice and easy.
Hope that helps. Let’s us know how you get on.

PaulandChrissy

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
PS
Its important not to over strain the hinge. It will only wiggle a few mm at first, but it should slowly move more and more. Don’t rush it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the advice. Deliberately didn’t put any WD40 on it. Initially used silicon spray and then cleaned that out as best I could and replaced with Comma Releasing spray. Will go out and give it another loading and wiggle shortly and repeat over the course of the day.
I will also check out the breakers just in case I need new parts.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
As long as the surrounding parts are not going to be affected you could trickle boiling water over the hings, nice and slow, so it gets good and hot. Keep wiggling all the time.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Hinge has been removed mainly by patiently following advice on here. Came out by applying releasing agent and periodic wiggling over 3 days But progress was very slow. Yesterday after speaking to an Adria warranty engineer who advised loading with WD40 (advised against by others on this thread) I replaced the Comma release oil with WD40 and using an airline with some PTFE tape wrapped around the nozzle I applied air pressure at about 6 bar to the top of the hinge tube. My theory was that this would hopefully help force the WD into the assembly rather than just relying on gravity.

The wiggling then got easier and so I rigged some handy angle to support the bottom of the central part of the hinge off the ground and then inserted a 6mm drift into the tube and using a medium size hammer gently knocked it out.

I’ve cleaned up both hinge pins and the tube and will reassemble today with copper grease. Hopefully this will resolve the situation for a while. I intend to repeat The exercise on the other locker hinges on the van when we return from our trip to avoid future problems.

Thanks for the advice on here. - very useful.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The hinges look similar to the hinges used on static caravans, we 'service' our static van hinges with 3/1 oil at least twice a year as they are known to be prone to corrosion

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back