Adria 670SL Unladen Weight (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
For those that might be interested. I know there is quite a lot of discussions on the forum regarding actual payloads.

Today on the way back from having a new cam belt fitted, I decided that as the MH was completely empty (no bedding, no cutlery, no crockery, empty fresh water tank, empty grey waste, empty cassette and exactly 1/4 tank of derv, no maps books magazine, Garage empty, apart from the 2 fixed TV's it was absolutely empty. I would call into the local MOT weighbridge.

As you can see from the attached weighbridge ticket, the unladen weight was 3220kgs. I should mention that the MH has AB comfort pack air assist on the rear axle which increases the GVW from 3500 to 3850kgs, giving 630kgs payload. I'm happy with that.

Attachments

• Weighbridge Receipt_2021-03-26.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 144

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's a good result for the van at 3,850kg but it just goes to show that it would be unusable if registered at 3.5T

Adria do seem to build very heavy vans these days.

Were you onboard when the weight was recorded or does your own mass need to be removed from the remaining 280kg payload figure.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
630KG,s payload when empty, but with full diesel tank at 90Ltrs, 50% (60ltrs fresh water) Driver & Passenger, 2nd leisure battery and a couple of solar panels, plus a heavy pet dog maybe, its soon get used up.
Then there's all those essentials we need in the garage, Spare wheel & tyre 30Kgs, levelling ramps 14Kgs, e bike or two, Table & Chairs, BBQ maybe, windbreak, the list goes on.
Better to fill it up, then get it weighed, if you can stay under 3850Kgs fully loaded as described, then you can celebrate. (y)
Happy Travels.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Similar experience. We have the 670slt we went to weigh bridge 50% fuel 2 adults and dog bikes on back. more importantly no gas bottles no food no water and no clothes ( before you start we were wearing clothes:giggle:)
already overweight.
Fortunately tyres were ok for upgrade to 3850 so fitted air assist and upgraded. not happy but it is what it is. The reply form one Adria salesman wound me up His words "Tough". as you can imagine it didn't go down well and was soon retracted
Still cost me nearly a grand to upgrade:confused:

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Coachbult Newbie but 45+yrs caravanning
Similar experience. We have the 670slt we went to weigh bridge 50% fuel 2 adults and dog bikes on back. more importantly no gas bottles no food no water and no clothes ( before you start we were wearing clothes:giggle:)
already overweight.
Fortunately tyres were ok for upgrade to 3850 so fitted air assist and upgraded. not happy but it is what it is. The reply form one Adria salesman wound me up His words "Tough". as you can imagine it didn't go down well and was soon retracted
Still cost me nearly a grand to upgrade:confused:
Very interested in this thread as we have the same van on a 69 plate. I saw another thread saying that they were underweight with 25% water but unsure about the passenger.
Can I assume that you are both average weight with a small dog?
We have a large solar panel and Gas low bottles +2 electric bikes.
I really don’t want to increase the weight over 3500kg as this involves higher tolls on motorways and a C1 licence, not to mention the French rules for warning stickers all round.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I like to get both front and rear axle weights because it is very easy to overload the rear axle with a garage and large rear overhang (not an Adria). You can get into trouble for overloading one axle even if the overall total is ok.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The Renault based Matrix can be upgraded to 4000Kg - done through SvTech - better tyres and rear air-assist. Not me, yet, information from FB Adria Owners page.

1616851599582.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to know the individual weights for each axle, just because you can up the overall rate to 3850kg doesn't mean that you have any extra capacity on the rear axle unless you've done something to allow this to be upped too.

We had our Carthago uprated from 3500 to 3850 but the axle weights max capacities stayed at 1850 + 2000 so wouldn't have helped as it was the rear axle that needed the extra allowance, thus we put on semi-air and the rear axle is now 2240 but the overall weight is still 3850.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Very interested in this thread as we have the same van on a 69 plate. I saw another thread saying that they were underweight with 25% water but unsure about the passenger.
I really don’t want to increase the weight over 3500kg as this involves higher tolls on motorways and a C1 licence, not to mention the French rules for warning stickers all round.
We are about 160 kg. Small dog and normal bikes. I had not fitted my gas low at the time. Solar and battery fitted
Was a real surprise and disappointing was 25kg over

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
That's a good result for the van at 3,850kg but it just goes to show that it would be unusable if registered at 3.5T

Adria do seem to build very heavy vans these days.

Were you onboard when the weight was recorded or does your own mass need to be removed from the remaining 280kg payload figure.
hi Blue Knight. No I was not in the vehicle, it was completely empty. I made sure everything was removed for when it went into have the cam belt changed, also, I have not bothered to fill the water tanks after winter drain down. in addition to the VB air assist rear suspension, its has 2 x 11kg gaslow refillable bottles, a Maxview MXL023 VUQube sat dish on the roof, 2 x 100ah leisure batteries. its an automatic.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Hi Wingman. When we brought the van (pre used) at just over a year old, the previous owners had already upgraded to 3600kgs, this was purely a paper exercise via SV tech. We struggled to keep within the 10% margin so decided to fit the air assist on the rear and upgrade further to the 3850kg max. We are very fortunate to have an MoT approved weighbridge within a couple of miles of home, so its quite easy to check the axle weights before we set off especially when going abroad.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Our van (an Adria, too, but that is not relevant) is plated at 3500kg. I bought one of those Reich Caravan weighing load cells. I am able to know always what our total weight is, as it takes about four minutes to get the weight on each wheel, and thus our total weight.

This is all in the interest of knowing exactly how much wine I can cram in.

A very useful tool which pays for itself in satisfaction and safety.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our van (an Adria, too, but that is not relevant) is plated at 3500kg. I bought one of those Reich Caravan weighing load cells. I am able to know always what our total weight is, as it takes about four minutes to get the weight on each wheel, and thus our total weight.

This is all in the interest of knowing exactly how much wine I can cram in.

A very useful tool which pays for itself in satisfaction and safety.
Just one problem with that ... we're not in the EU now so you have a restriction on alcohol! 😄

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am intrigued to learn that the Renault Master chassis can be upgraded to 4tons with the addition of new heavy load tyres. My van was factory fitted with rear air suspension, raising it from 3.5 to 3.85. On a previous van SVTEC advised that with the rear air assist I needed heavier loading rear tyres to legally increase my loading to 3.85. As I already have factory fitted heavier loading, will I need to increase the tyre loading on this van or just pay SVTEC to do a paper exercise?

Deleted User
Managed to upgrade our Hymer Grand Canyon S PVC to 4050kg with no modifications through SV.
Very smooth process, even DVLA.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I am intrigued to learn that the Renault Master chassis can be upgraded to 4tons with the addition of new heavy load tyres. My van was factory fitted with rear air suspension, raising it from 3.5 to 3.85. On a previous van SVTEC advised that with the rear air assist I needed heavier loading rear tyres to legally increase my loading to 3.85. As I already have factory fitted heavier loading, will I need to increase the tyre loading on this van or just pay SVTEC to do a paper exercise?
Since you had the weight upgrade done at the factory, I would assume (never assume) that the factory would have upgraded the tyres in accordance with regulations to keep van legal

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My van was factory fitted with rear air suspension, raising it from 3.5 to 3.85. As I already have factory fitted heavier loading, will I need to increase the tyre loading on this van or just pay SVTEC to do a paper exercise?
I assume despite you saying the rear suspension was factory fitted and raised it to 3850 you are actually still registered at 3500 and that you have NOT got the heavier loading tyres you had on your previous van.

If so then you will need to change the tyres for those with a higher loading to take the heavier weight which, with the rear air suspension already fitted, should mean that the rear axle capacity can be increased to take this added load, then you'll need to get SVTech or this newly approved company to do the paperwork for you (who should be a lot cheaper for the same thing:) after which you just submit it to the DVLA as required (do NOT sent the original!) along with your amended V5C and ideally a covering letter.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
630KG,s payload when empty, but with full diesel tank at 90Ltrs, 50% (60ltrs fresh water) Driver & Passenger, 2nd leisure battery and a couple of solar panels, plus a heavy pet dog maybe, its soon get used up.
Then there's all those essentials we need in the garage, Spare wheel & tyre 30Kgs, levelling ramps 14Kgs, e bike or two, Table & Chairs, BBQ maybe, windbreak, the list goes on.
Better to fill it up, then get it weighed, if you can stay under 3850Kgs fully loaded as described, then you can celebrate. (y)
Happy Travels.
LES
Hi Les. The 3220kgs included: -
Full size 16" steel spare wheel in the garage (33kgs)
2 x 110Ah leisure batteries (58kgs)
150watt solar panel (10kgs)
Maxview VUQube Satelite (5kgs)
Thule G2 bike rack fitted in the garage (6Kgs)
All the Fiat and Adria O&M manuals (?)
No one in the vehicle
Exactly 1/4 tank derv
It had been raining so could add a couple of kgs for rain.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I assume despite you saying the rear suspension was factory fitted and raised it to 3850 you are actually still registered at 3500 and that you have NOT got the heavier loading tyres you had on your previous van.

If so then you will need to change the tyres for those with a higher loading to take the heavier weight which, with the rear air suspension already fitted, should mean that the rear axle capacity can be increased to take this added load, then you'll need to get SVTech or this newly approved company to do the paperwork for you (who should be a lot cheaper for the same thing:) after which you just submit it to the DVLA as required (do NOT sent the original!) along with your amended V5C and ideally a covering letter.

Thank you for your response. I have just seen your info, glanced out of the window....night has fallen. I will check my tyres in the morning. My van is already rated at 3850 and as far as I know, the air suspension was fitted by Adria or Renault as it is original equipment with a badge on the side saying so. You have opened a door for me, thank you.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980

Thank you for your response. I have just seen your info, glanced out of the window....night has fallen. I will check my tyres in the morning. My van is already rated at 3850 and as far as I know, the air suspension was fitted by Adria or Renault as it is original equipment with a badge on the side saying so. You have opened a door for me, thank you.

This entered twice! How odd!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What figures do you have as max for each axle both on the plate and the V5C?

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Coachbult Newbie but 45+yrs caravanning

This entered twice! How odd!
Hi Rosalan,

Is your Adria Supreme based on the original 670 body and payload i.e. for 3500kg?
Interested to know the figures you get for axle weights and tyres.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Minxygirl. Rear single tyres are as fitted new are Uniroyal with weight listed as 1120-2470 lbs each. V5 shows 3800kg gross. On a Renault chassis

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxygirl. Rear single tyres are as fitted new are Uniroyal with weight listed as 1120-2470 lbs each. V5 shows 3800kg gross. On a Renault chassis
But what are the individual axle weight max allowances - look on your Adria vin plate, 3rd & 4th figures.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
But what are the individual axle weight max allowances - look on your Adria vin plate, 3rd & 4th figures.
1850 & 2100 are 3rd and 4th numbers preceded by over 5000.
I should add that after not getting near the van for months on end, I could not find the bonnet catch. Had to find a torch and with a now painful hand squashed by heavy bonnet, finally opened it before realising the plate was in the drivers door.
Thanks Alan

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
1850 & 2100 are 3rd and 4th numbers preceded by over 5000.
I should add that after not getting near the van for months on end, I could not find the bonnet catch. Had to find a torch and with a now painful hand squashed by heavy bonnet, finally opened it before realising the plate was in the drivers door.
Thanks Alan
Soooo, your van is already registered at 3800kg on the V5C so if you don't need more than 2100kg loading on the rear axle you're good as you are, if not then you will need to ask the engineering company what you could realistically go up to as it stands as a paper exercise (ie no other mods, tyre changes etc) - as it might not give you much more than you have already it could just be a waste of money.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thanks for info Minxy Girl.. I think I must have about 500kg payload but with several add on's like a couple of large Gaslow bottles, air rear suspension, solar panel and a couple of electric bikes, payload is soon eaten up. Then my wife adds her clothes and the scales begin to tip against me. Oh well! Thank you for your help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back