Adopting pets while full timing (1 Viewer)

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Adopting another dog is becoming exasperating. I had a phone call this afternoon from the re homing centre.
They now want a walk round video of the garden including any gates or posable escape routes. I think they are working on the great escape plans. Surely three foot brick walls with three foot panels on the top and a six foot brick wall by the dinning room door plus a six foot gate should slow most dogs.
Its got to stage of sod it. Do they really want to re home dogs. Do we give up and learn to live without a dog.
It’s a real shame.
We adopted 2 in the past when we had a fully enclosed garden in forces married quarters.
Our own home has an open drive, so no go for the rehoming centres. Bought puppies and lo and behold, a little training and they know their limits like an invisible fence.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Adopting another dog is becoming exasperating. I had a phone call this afternoon from the re homing centre.
They now want a walk round video of the garden including any gates or posable escape routes. I think they are working on the great escape plans. Surely three foot brick walls with three foot panels on the top and a six foot brick wall by the dinning room door plus a six foot gate should slow most dogs.
Its got to stage of sod it. Do they really want to re home dogs. Do we give up and learn to live without a dog.
Please don't be put off. I've carried out home checks for two dog rehoming charities and they always want the garden checked. It is important and if you've got the technology to do it, it shouldn't take you long. It sounds as if they're otherwise happy with you so get this box ticked....Good luck.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months

No, please don't do that.
I don't know your part of the world and haven't been in the UK for a couple of years but prior to that lived in rural Wales and Scotland.
In the "pets and livestock" columns of tbe classified ads the ocal papers were full of terriers and collies and other breeds free to good homes, other breeds too, of all descriptions and ages.
I'm sure these dogs are still available, not everyone is breeding designer dogs for sale at exorbitant prices.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
After a talk with management and calming down a bit we agreed to go and look at the two dogs they thought would be suitable for us.
One of the main frustrations has been the different rules from centres we have contacted. In hindsight we should have stayed with one centre and there rules.
One of the dogs is a rescue from Romania the other is a stray with no history. They are both four years old not that matters too much.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
After a talk with management and calming down a bit we agreed to go and look at the two dogs they thought would be suitable for us.
One of the main frustrations has been the different rules from centres we have contacted. In hindsight we should have stayed with one centre and there rules.
One of the dogs is a rescue from Romania the other is a stray with no history. They are both four years old not that matters too much.

Good luck! Looking forward to an update.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If they were doing home checks there would be no need, but due to CV they are having to rely much more on what they are being told by people so this is just to show that what you are telling them is 'true' as some will try to bend the rules for whatever reason. We had a rescue dog that could get out of just about anything, and did, drove us nuts but she eventually stopped when she went too far away and couldn't find her way home so frightened herself silly.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
My parents had a rescue Patterdale cross, crossed with absolutely everything around as far as we could tell. She'd come in from Ireland and was in a rescue centre just down the road from us. She was the sweetest dog ever, they picked her up on the first day and were away for the weekend so took her with them, they stayed in a Travelodge and she was quite content to sleep on the floor next to the bed on a cushion they'd brought for her.
The worst thing was her being a fence climber, regularly went over their 6ft back fence into the gardens on 3 sides of them - used to check out the rabbits in a garden hutch behind, next door used to bring her back regularly as they'd look outside and see her sunning herself in their back garden. She went over the 3rd side and one time on searching was found in the front garden of that house and unable to get out of the bolted gate, my mother being quite short had to hang over the gate and grab the dog by the scruff and haul her back.
She was really happy at home, but having been on the streets I did wonder if she missed those days and just got out for a wander.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The visit to the re homing centre went well this afternoon. As I thought would happen management want to take them all home..
A Greyhound peering down its long nose with soppy eyes was not good. He would have been lovely but he came with a brother. That amount of legs might have been a bit much in our motorhome.
We ended up with a ten year old dog from Romania. Older than I wanted but we couldn’t leave him to end his days in kennels. He has had some older gentleman bladder trouble but the vet said it’s sorted now. Not helped by his time on the streets.
I admit this hasn’t been easy mostly due to lack of communication. Filling in forms and then hearing nothing is very rude in my eyes. Just a message to say we are too late or the dogs not suitable can’t take much.
As you said Minxy the photos and video were due to no home visits during the COVID crisis. The staff were understanding and I did see there point even though this dog is not going to get near a six foot wall. I am not very good with the tech things so struggling with photos and films didn’t help.
For the Peter Kay fans it’s ironic we had a Max now we are getting a Paddy on Saturday.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
As an after thought the girl from the re homing centre making conversation asked what we were doing in our retirement. She thought a re homed dog would love motorhome travels.
I mentioned you’re problems being a full timer and she said it would depend on the dog and the manager of the re homing centre. They have re homed to people living in static caravans and a narrow boat. I know of two couples that have re homed dogs whilst living on a narrow boat.
Its definitely down to people’s interpretation of the rules.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
"link to your Facebook page. If you are not on Facebook you can not adopt from us."

I'm keen but I'm not that keen :LOL:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Muttly has started to settle quite well. He has had a full day mooching about and finding his bearings. He came in the motorhome with us this morning but wasn’t too sure until management came in to join me. He didn’t mind the treat she gave him and now knows we’re the treats are kept.
The rescue centre mentioned threshold fear. Not some thing I had heard of but he is a bit wary about coming in from the garden. Maybe he has been living outside and wasn’t allowed in the house. Once again he came in for management. Also the kennel staff were all girls so maybe he feels better a bit wary of me.
His passport says he is eight years old not ten but that dosnt really matter. The vet finished his treatment and medicine last week.
Looking on the internet the nearest we can find to him is a CarepathIan mountain sheep dog. He has the double layer of fur, ginger and black underneath. Sort of Labrador size and shape but more furry.
No matter he is a lovely placid dog that seems to be happy snoozing / snoring, in his bed.
I havnt done a post of my own so maybe it would be a chance to try some photos at the same time.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Muttly has started to settle quite well. He has had a full day mooching about and finding his bearings. He came in the motorhome with us this morning but wasn’t too sure until management came in to join me. He didn’t mind the treat she gave him and now knows we’re the treats are kept.
The rescue centre mentioned threshold fear. Not some thing I had heard of but he is a bit wary about coming in from the garden. Maybe he has been living outside and wasn’t allowed in the house. Once again he came in for management. Also the kennel staff were all girls so maybe he feels better a bit wary of me.
His passport says he is eight years old not ten but that dosnt really matter. The vet finished his treatment and medicine last week.
Looking on the internet the nearest we can find to him is a CarepathIan mountain sheep dog. He has the double layer of fur, ginger and black underneath. Sort of Labrador size and shape but more furry.
No matter he is a lovely placid dog that seems to be happy snoozing / snoring, in his bed.
I havnt done a post of my own so maybe it would be a chance to try some photos at the same time.
Yes please do post 🙂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Stamping feet and screaming "we want photos, we want photos" (well photos with a bit of a fhhhhh! :whistle: )

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I am working on it Minxy. Technology needs careful thinking by me. Sending the photos and video to the re homing centre was last weeks major achievement . Once we have done breakfast and walks in the morning I will give muttly a brushing so he looks his best.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So this is my latest attempt at adopting a rescue dog.

This is the information they requested from me:

Name

D.O.B

Address-
Is it a house or bungalow? If so detached, semi or terrace?

How many bedrooms?

Is it a new build with thin walls? This might unsettle the dog if they hear noises from next door.

If it is a flat we cannot let you adopt from us. Sorry.

Is your home owned or rented? If rented we will need to see proof that you can have a dog

Phone number

Email

Have you any plans to move in the next 12 months?

Link to your Facebook page (you must have Facebook to adopt from us)

Partner's name & DoB (if applicable)

Names and DoB of any other adults living at the home

Does any adult or child have medical issues that might cause problems with looking after a dog?

Children with ages, incl. frequently visiting children (if applicable)

Please specify if they live with you or are visitors and how often they visit

What dogs/cats have you owned in the past and lived in your house as family pets while you were an adult?

Were any of them rescues?

Please only mention dogs that were yours and not family dogs that your parents were responsible for.

Any current dogs/cats/rabbits?

Please give ages and gender of the dogs. Are the dogs neutered? If not, why not?

No need to mention other pets

Do you work?

If so, please state what you do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If you do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

If you are ‘working from home’ is this permanent or just during the virus?

Does your partner work?

If so, please state what they do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If they do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

If they are ‘working from home’ is this permanent or just during the virus?

If you plan to work from home forever we will need written proof from your employer and if we offer you home check. Obviously not if you are self employed and already work from home.

Would the dog be left longer than 2 hours without human company?

If so, what provisions can you make?

What provisions will you make initially if the answer is yes?

Our dogs are rarely trained, this includes house training. Have you thought about how you might train a dog? Please elaborate.

Dogs bark – some bark a lot. Have you considered this if you have neighbours? Please elaborate

What brand of food do you plan to feed the dog? Obviously it is not possible to feed the dog what it ate at Last Chance Rescue as it is only available in Romania.
This is a VERY important question and tells us how much you know/are prepared to research about dog nutrition.

Dogs need regular exercise. Tell us about what you like to do as a family and how you might involve a dog.

Do you have a garden or yard? Please state which and approx size. Is it secure? Please state if you have fences, walls or hedges and what height.

We require a secure private garden. You cannot adopt from us if you don’t have a secure private garden.

Which pet insurance company do you plan to use. If you are not going to insure the dog, how will you deal with unexpected vets’ bills?

What do you expect from the first 3 weeks with your new dog?

Your dog will likely be nervous or anxious. Have you thought about what you might do to help them?

Currently we have a lot of interest in our dogs and far more people wanting to adopt than we have dogs. Why should we choose you and your family?

This is the information I got from them about the dog I was interested in:

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.

:unsure:

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months

Name

D.O.B

Address-

How many bedrooms?

Is it a new build with thin walls? This might unsettle the dog if they hear noises from next door.

Is your home owned or rented? If rented we will need to see proof that you can have a dog

Phone number

Email

Does any adult or child have medical issues that might cause problems with looking after a dog?

What dogs/cats have you owned in the past and lived in your house as family pets while you were an adult?

Please only mention dogs that were yours and not family dogs that your parents were responsible for.

Please give ages and gender of the dogs. Are the dogs neutered? If not, why not?

Do you work?

If so, please state what you do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If you do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

Does your partner work?

If so, please state what they do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If they do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

If you plan to work from home forever we will need written proof from your employer and if we offer you home check. Obviously not if you are self employed and already work from home.

Our dogs are rarely trained, this includes house training. Have you thought about how you might train a dog? Please elaborate.

Dogs bark – some bark a lot. Have you considered this if you have neighbours? Please elaborate

What brand of food do you plan to feed the dog? Obviously it is not possible to feed the dog what it ate at Last Chance Rescue as it is only available in Romania.
This is a VERY important question and tells us how much you know/are prepared to research about dog nutrition.

Dogs need regular exercise. Tell us about what you like to do as a family and how you might involve a dog.

Do you have a garden or yard? Please state which and approx size. Is it secure? Please state if you have fences, walls or hedges and what height.

We require a secure private garden. You cannot adopt from us if you don’t have a secure private garden.

Which pet insurance company do you plan to use. If you are not going to insure the dog, how will you deal with unexpected vets’ bills?

Your dog will likely be nervous or anxious. Have you thought about what you might do to help them?

Currently we have a lot of interest in our dogs and far more people wanting to adopt than we have dogs. Why should we choose you and your family?

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.

I'm glad they have more people waiting than dogs available because with that questionnaire they have riled out a very high percentage of would-be adoptees.
In the ideal world it would be good if there is someone at home fulltime with the dog but how realistic and is this?
In this day and age I would have thought the majority of households with a person at home full time would be where folk were retired - is this the best time to be taking on a new untrained dog?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'm glad they have more people waiting than dogs available because with that questionnaire they have riled out a very high percentage of would-be adoptees.
In the ideal world it would be good if there is someone at home fulltime with the dog but how realistic and is this?
In this day and age I would have thought the majority of households with a person at home full time would be where folk were retired - is this the best time to be taking on a new untrained dog?
It's tough. I know I would make a good, responsible dog owner so I find myself lying to them about where I live, hours I work and I even had to knock 10 years off mothers age as they weren't keen on giving puppies to over 65's.

I know they have to make sure their dogs are going somewhere suitable but there needs to be a bit of leeway I feel.

I think I've given up on the idea of re-homing a dog from abroad. Well apart from one place in Spain where my mum and aunt know the lady who runs it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Name

D.O.B

Address-

How many bedrooms?

Phone number

Email

Do you work?

Does your partner work?

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.

That's ridiculous

Furry Paws

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily Bus
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Guys, I have an interest in this matter, running "Furry Paws Sanctuary Support" and agree the large well known "Companies" that have CEO's on huge salaries and large offices, taking in thousands of pounds in donations are too choosy when it comes to letting dogs or cats go to loving families. I myself was turned down for a rescue even though my last girl was a rescue and passed over the Rainbow Bridge after being with me for 14 and a half years and managing to live for 17 years despite living with me! I currently have one girl who is 4 and a half years old that I brought in from one of the Sanctuaries in Morocco that I support with food and money, she sleeps with me spends time with me but if I have to go out she doesn't get distressed, she is like my daughter. She also travels with me in my Campervan quite happily along with my cat Merlin who loves riding with us! There is no reason why these "Trust's" cannot let anyone have a dog or cat living in their van! I am trying to set up a site where cats and dogs can be adopted for life on the road, please rescue don't buy from breeders! When my cat is fully charged his eyes turn green so I can unplug him :)

Attachments

• Nika and Merlin.png
    Nika and Merlin.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Hi Guys, I have an interest in this matter, running "Furry Paws Sanctuary Support" and agree the large well known "Companies" that have CEO's on huge salaries and large offices, taking in thousands of pounds in donations are too choosy when it comes to letting dogs or cats go to loving families. I myself was turned down for a rescue even though my last girl was a rescue and passed over the Rainbow Bridge after being with me for 14 and a half years and managing to live for 17 years despite living with me! I currently have one girl who is 4 and a half years old that I brought in from one of the in Morocco that I support with food and money, she sleeps with me spends time with me but if I have to go out she doesn't get distressed, she is like my daughter. She also travels with me in my Campervan quite happily along with my cat Merlin who loves iding with us! There is no reason why these "Trust's" cannot let anyone have a dog or cat living in their van! I am trying to set up a site where cats and dogs can be adopted for life on the road, please rescue don't buy from breeders!
Please let me know if you manage to set up your site, I'd be very interested in adopting. Thanks, Ginnie

Furry Paws

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily Bus
Exp
Since 2015
I'm ready for a new dog, the younger the better. I've not got a problem buying from a reputable breeder, but I'll follow you for a while before I make my mind up. Best of luck.
Thanks I'll keep this thread updated as much as I can!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Stay away from the rescue centres while in a van, either buy a dog privately or keep your hear to the ground. A friend of mine had a lovely whippet from an old lady who couldn't look after the dog anymore.
We housed four rescue dogs years ago,,none from rescue centers,,they haven't a clue.BUSBY.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Rescue is much simpler in other countries from what I’ve been told
Hi.
Portugal. 12 year old dog (fit) Owner died,family gave it up. ..We phoned straight away ( KNOWING THEIR RULES ) about having a fenced property. ( We do not have a fence on the land at all ).Said we could send Photos of the 5 dogs we have shared our lives with over the years,plus the stray that adopted us.
NO.! .......So,if you have fenced property,there is a 12 yr old...... YES 12 yrs old.. Catalan sheep dog " Rex "needs a good home down on the Algarve. Our daughter has a fenced area of their property Euro 4.000 worth,told them i could send a photo of that........................... No reply.
Tea Bag.
PS. Had Three Border Collies they lived to between 13-14 yrs,so, Rex is allready on the short straw. We live at the end of a lane,surrounded by woods. Freedom ? bet your sweet life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back