Adobe Lightroom Mobile - Big Update (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I first tried Adobe Lightroom Mobile* I was a bit underwhelmed and couldn't see how I could usefully use it. However, there has recently been a big update made to it and it now has features more like the full sized desktop version. There are videos about the update you can find on line although the one I watched only covered the Apple version and there is no doubting it runs very well on an iPad Pro but for Android users like me it still has some very useful features.
What they have added are presets like "Punch" and the ability to sharpen images plus loads of other things - I've only just started using it so still learning. A potentially useful feature is masks can now be added so you can selectively apply an effect to an area - for example to make clouds more visible in the sky.
This is an image I stole off the Internet, firstly as it came:

2b236f59a6d50b63c79a30edacbce71f--old-hollywood-hollywood-glamour.jpg

Then after a bit of fiddling in LRM:

LRM_EXPORT_20170817_162611.jpg

The bit of fluffy dress below her knees was still washed out initially so I used a mask over this part then reduced the exposure to darken it but leaving the rest of the image untouched. Clever stuff - not my editing, the example is just that, a trial, but I'm looking forward to trying this out on our forthcoming trip to Italy.

Of course, if you are at home or have a laptop you could use the full-fat version but when away this mobile app has features well above those to be found in say Google Photos, which I've used previously on trips.

Results will be posted in my Italian thread starting next week. :)

* Adobe Lightroom is photo editing software from Adobe. It isn't cheap and takes a little while to learn. The mobile version can be used on a tablet and synchronises with the desktop version.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm starting to get to grips with this app now. You can see part of Mont Blanc from our pitch but it is some distance away and the air isn't very clear. So a photograph taken with the equivalent of a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera isn't very good. This is the "before" (as taken) shot:

OI000048.jpg

And the "after" shot.

LRM_EXPORT_20170829_105009.jpg

Certainly not perfect, I may have a fiddle later as it's a bit blue but the dehazing filter works well. I also used a mask on the lower half of the image as it was too dark after applying the effects needed on the mountain.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's impressive !

Most of my pics are like the first mountain shot !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Might have to give LRM another go - I tried it when first out on Android and wasn't very impressed so glad it's improved.

I use the desktop full Lightroom on a daily basis (along with with a lot of the CC suite). Might be useful sometimes to have the mobile version as well I guess.

Don't suppose anyone here uses Adobe Premiere and Photoshop Elements?

As already said, I have the full CC suite on my more powerful PC's, but have my new mobile solution arriving today and it isn't powerful enough to run this. I want a quick and easy solution to editing a quick video/photo on the fly. Hoping Elements will run okay on new device as should be familiar to use (I hope).

Unless anyone can recommend another lightweight video editor?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Might have to give LRM another go - I tried it when first out on Android and wasn't very impressed so glad it's improved.

I use the desktop full Lightroom on a daily basis (along with with a lot of the CC suite). Might be useful sometimes to have the mobile version as well I guess.

As already said, I have the full CC suite on my more powerful PC's, but have my new mobile solution arriving today and it isn't powerful enough to run this. I want a quick and easy solution to editing a quick video/photo on the fly. Hoping Elements will run okay on new device as should be familiar to use (I hope).

Unless anyone can recommend another lightweight video editor?
I used Premier and Elements but changed to Photoshop and Lightroom a couple of years ago. For video, when I did such things, I preferred Sony Vegas Pro but Photoshop can do videos as well - something I learned only recently :) as they don't seem to promote it as such.

I only do "fun" videos these days and after trying numerous Android video editors I recently tried one called "Videoshop - Video Editor" which is made by Appsolute Inc. There are lots with very similar names but this one seems very good. There are ads in the app but not on the videos. There doesn't seem to be a paid version without ads either otherwise I would get it assuming it would be the usual few pounds. The videos I recently posted on my Sicily thread were processed using it. It doesn't do everything but it allowed me to trim and join two videos then uploaded them to YouTube. I would have liked it to be able to do transitions so the two videos could have been joined using a dissolve. It may be able to do this but if it can I haven't found how because of course there are no instructions!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Edit to the above, there is a paid version of Videoshop - if you go into setting there is a slider to unlock it for $1.99, which I've done but I had to restart the tablet to get it to change to the new version. Sadly, transitions only seem to be available on the iOS version. I may have to get an iPad at this rate as the Lightroom for mobile is better on iOS as well. :(

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Edit to the above, there is a paid version of Videoshop - if you go into setting there is a slider to unlock it for $1.99, which I've done but I had to restart the tablet to get it to change to the new version. Sadly, transitions only seem to be available on the iOS version. I may have to get an iPad at this rate as the Lightroom for mobile is better on iOS as well. :(

Thanks for that, although it's Windows software I'm after for a Samsung Galaxy Book. I'll download a 1 month trial of Elements when the device arrives later to see if it runs okay.

By the way - I know on Android you can get Adobe Premiere Clip for free. Not tried it, but might be good for people already used to Adobe products....

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006

I've used Adobe Premiere extensively in the past but don't do much with a video camera since the kids grew up (agewise that is).

Use Photoshop elements (v13) on the laptop and Photoshop express on the IPhone for those quick tweaks. I keep looking at Lightroom but don't really want to commit myself to monthly payments.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've used Adobe Premiere extensively in the past but don't do much with a video camera since the kids grew up (agewise that is).

Use Photoshop elements (v13) on the laptop and Photoshop express on the IPhone for those quick tweaks. I keep looking at Lightroom but don't really want to commit myself to monthly payments.

Thanks. I use PremPro all the time and love it. It's just too resource heavy for my new toy (I think).

Just hoping that Elements (Premiere and Photoshop) will run okay with only 4gb of Ram. Be nice to use something familiar if possible. Guess I'll find out in a few hours :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm starting to get to grips with this app now. You can see part of Mont Blanc from our pitch but it is some distance away and the air isn't very clear. So a photograph taken with the equivalent of a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera isn't very good. This is the "before" (as taken) shot:

View attachment 182519

And the "after" shot.

View attachment 182520

Certainly not perfect, I may have a fiddle later as it's a bit blue but the dehazing filter works well. I also used a mask on the lower half of the image as it was too dark after applying the effects needed on the mountain.
That is a picture with a memory for me, I was driving past that spot when my son phoned from Dallas with the news of the 9-11 attack with some rogue aircraft still in the sky.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like it's getting expensive
I think I can resist the temptation - but when/if the current tablet expires it will be an option, although I've got used to Google products now and I'm not sure I can sell my soul to both Google and Apple? :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
On another note, tell me please how you get a Google map with your route or location (blue dot) to appear in a post. I could probably do it on laptop using screen shot, but on tablet or phone I can't find an option on Google maps to do anything like that ?
Hope you don't mind me hijacking photo post and asking :whistle:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On another note, tell me please how you get a Google map with your route or location (blue dot) to appear in a post. I could probably do it on laptop using screen shot, but on tablet or phone I can't find an option on Google maps to do anything like that ?
Hope you don't mind me hijacking photo post and asking :whistle:
There a trick to it and it doesn't always work first time for me.
But having got Google maps up and running with the blue dot showing where we are I press the power off button and volume down at the same time. This is the tricky bit and often it just turns the volume down - although it's normally off anyway but this doesn't stop it trying.
If it does work the image taken will be in the screenshots folder.
I suspect different devices might have slightly different ways of doing it but this works on mine.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Erm... Have you tried Gimp? It is free and open source... https://www.gimp.org/

I loaded your first picture in, selected Colours -> Auto -> White Balance.
Then saved it. Here it is; I know nothing about photography... Literally took me 10 seconds...

after.jpg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Erm... Have you tried Gimp? It is free and open source... https://www.gimp.org/

I loaded your first picture in, selected Colours -> Auto -> White Balance.
Then saved it. Here it is; I know nothing about photography... Literally took me 10 seconds...

View attachment 182682
That's very good - better than mine! I may be guilty of over complicating things. :) I see there is a Gimp for android - I'll have a look at it.

Edit: Sadly, it looks as if the Android version is a cut down one. It seems to only have a few basic pre-set effects which you can apply to an image. No option to alter the white balance that I could find.

But for those using a laptop or PC then Gimp seems a very powerful option - and free of course. :) But this thread is about how to process images with just a tablet or even a mobile phone when away from home.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is to simple a question for you guys, but can anyone tell me how to get an iPad to load photos onto google drive, on my phones and tablet on android they go on automatically and can then be viewed on iPad but I'm b...... if I can get them to go the other way either automatically or by hand.
I can get it to work by sending my photos to my phone then they go on drive but it's a hell of a faffle when they should just go up automatically.(n)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's ok , just googled it(n) why didn't I think about that first(n), you do it the other way round to android, you have to open drive and fetch the photos, not send them likeon the phone(n)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
That's very good - better than mine! I may be guilty of over complicating things. :) I see there is a Gimp for android - I'll have a look at it.

Edit: Sadly, it looks as if the Android version is a cut down one. It seems to only have a few basic pre-set effects which you can apply to an image. No option to alter the white balance that I could find.

But for those using a laptop or PC then Gimp seems a very powerful option - and free of course. :) But this thread is about how to process images with just a tablet or even a mobile phone when away from home.

To change the white balance the same way as gromett mentioned in lightroom mobile, click colour and white balance is at the top. the eyedropper tool is to the right.

Forgot I had LRM on my phone

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But this thread is about how to process images with just a tablet or even a mobile phone when away from home.
oh. Sorry :(

I thought it was about Adobe Lightroom :p Just noticed the word mobile in your first paragraph.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
oh. Sorry :(

I thought it was about Adobe Lightroom :p Just noticed the word mobile in your first paragraph.
Nothing to be sorry about. :) I will have a look at Gimp when I get back home but clearly it is a powerful package.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nothing to be sorry about. :) I will have a look at Gimp when I get back home but clearly it is a powerful package.
Before I moved to Linux I moved across to all Opensource software. This meant when I moved to Linux I could use the same software.
For images I use Gimp and InkScape. I was so happy to get away from Adobe...

The only thing Gimp is missing as far as I am aware is CMYK processing/support which is required by the publishing industry. However I do believe it is in progress...

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Before I moved to Linux I moved across to all Opensource software. This meant when I moved to Linux I could use the same software.
For images I use Gimp and InkScape. I was so happy to get away from Adobe...

The only thing Gimp is missing as far as I am aware is CMYK processing/support which is required by the publishing industry. However I do believe it is in progress...

I tried Gimp a few years ago when Adobe first moved to paid subscriptions.

It was good tbh, but I was so used to the Adobe software I bit the bullet and subscribed :(

It's expensive IMO for the whole CC suite, but I use it for hours everyday for my work - so I guess justified.

Just downloaded Elements onto new tablet (that I love so far) and will see if I can edit 1080p footage with it later this afternoon. Fingers crossed :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I tried Gimp a few years ago when Adobe first moved to paid subscriptions.

It was good tbh, but I was so used to the Adobe software I bit the bullet and subscribed :(

It's expensive IMO for the whole CC suite, but I use it for hours everyday for my work - so I guess justified.

Just downloaded Elements onto new tablet (that I love so far) and will see if I can edit 1080p footage with it later this afternoon. Fingers crossed :)

If you do graphics/video for a living and have invested a lot of time learning Adobe then it is worth paying for... A case of balancing the invested time against future money... (y)
But for most people who just do a bit of photo editing and for personal use, the subscription model for Adobe makes it way too expensive for the occasional user. Gimp comes into it's own then.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To change the white balance the same way as gromett mentioned in lightroom mobile, click colour and white balance is at the top. the eyedropper tool is to the right.

Forgot I had LRM on my phone
Are you using the iOS version? I've found white balance but the auto option doesn't seem to do a very good job.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Are you using the iOS version? I've found white balance but the auto option doesn't seem to do a very good job.

I'm using Android, it can take a bit of getting used to :)

Here's a video that explains it quite well. It's for the desktop version, but it's pretty much the same in the mobile version:

On the mobile version you just move the magnifier around until you like the colours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back