Admin Help Needed - Huge Problem! (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
I have had to rejoin using a new and temporary user name, which I hope will be deleted when this problem is solved.

For two days now I have been experiencing awful problems. It can take twenty minutes to make a post and often I get the 'Server Busy' message or just a white screen. It has been frustrating and I have literally spent hours trying to solve it.

I cleared my cache and history and cookies and did all the usual things and then had a brainwave. I logged out, which took ten minutes, and then logged back on as guest. It was fine!

I then got out my netbook and the results were the same. Log on as Northerner and it was awful and I couldn't even open this section of the forum. Log on as a guest and it was like lightening.

So that's two computers with the same problem, which started yesterday morning. Prior to that it was fine.

I have now, in order to be able to make this post, had to re-register. Will the administrator please look at my account and find out why, why I log on with my normal user name, it is all but useless. It can't be my computer as it's the same with two machines so it must be a problem at the MHF end.

Thank you.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Northerner

Brian is in Spain at the Mo but able to get online and Jim is with his Mother who is unwell and wont be online for a while (Im sure). I'm sure you will be sorted you as soon as they can but it could be a while.

Hope you understand.

Sonja

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For two days now I have been experiencing awful problems. It can take twenty minutes to make a post and often I get the 'Server Busy' message or just a white screen.
Thank you.

If you recall I posted a similar message a week or so ago. Jim said he was having trouble when using Firefox. We both moved to Chrome and the problem was solved.

I've since moved back to Firefox but I notice a slowdown today.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
Thank you for that. However, the plot thickens. At first the temporary user-name worked fine but now it's slowed down as well and, many times when trying to open a post, I just get a blank screen and sometimes a 'Server busy' message.

However, if I log off and the visit the site as guest it's very quick with no problems. I hope that someone can have a look as it's driving me nuts but I do understand that people have lives and may be tied up with other things.

It's incredibly frustrating and has been going on for two days but it's not life-threatening!

Thanks.

Edited to say: It now appears to be working fine, after two days of frustration! Has someone tweaked something? It's weird.

I have no problem whatsoever with any other sites.

To Hilldweller,

I use Chrome and have for some time. What's puzzling is that the site is very fast when I enter as guest but the minute I log on it's a nightmare. Was that your problem?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Since I am rubbish on computers this may mean nothing.

Since Jim and Bryan, thankfully, do not advocate people having two names .. and you say you are using a temporary one .... maybe there is something in the system that picks up it is you under another alias. Just a possibility. There are those of us that would leave the forum if it were simple for people to log in with two identities ... even though it possibly does happen.

I am sure Jim or Bryan will sort it for you when they get back. It can be frustrating. My problems last week were with Google Chrome and as soon as I went back to Internet Explorer they cleared.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To Hilldweller,
I use Chrome and have for some time. What's puzzling is that the site is very fast when I enter as guest but the minute I log on it's a nightmare. Was that your problem?

The problem using FF was timeouts and blank white screens, then if I clicked a link a second time up came the page.

I emailed FF and they said "nothing wrong with FF". Which I half expected. Like you, other sites were all fine.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The problems which some of us suffered a few days ago were most likely due to certain parts of the Internet suffering because of the denial of service attacks which originated from supporters of Assange.

All sorts of things (e.g. addresses being blocked, problems with address translation tables, false positives coming up in spam detection programs) can happen within the Internet which are nothing at all to do with the site one is trying to access. I've had a couple of problems in the last few months with accessing a genealogy site through my normal Virgin broadband route but had no problems accessing it via the 3 network. In that case the site owner has twice had to whitelist my Virgin IP address, which wasn't blocked by him in the first place but sometimes the problem appears to right itself when the erroneous condition is spotted and removed (but never admitted to) by the company which created it in the first place.

Graham

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I'm now pretty convinced that the problem was with this site. If I visited as a guest there was no problem. This eliminates any Internet routing problem.

It can't be my computer as the same thing happened on my netbook. My PC is wired but the netbook uses the home wi-fi, so it can't be a local connection problem.

Using my normal user-name, it was useless. I set up the second user-name, NorthernerTemporary, and it was perfect, whilst the original user-name was still hopeless.

However, after a couple of hours the new temporary user-name also began to have just the same problems although when I managed to log-off and come back as a guest, it was perfect again.

This all suggests to me a problem with this site's server and the problem must be connected somehow to user accounts. I can think of no other explanation but am happy to hear any other theories.

If the administrator is reading this will you please delete the NorthernerTemporary account.

Thanks.

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
Since I am rubbish on computers this may mean nothing.

Since Jim and Bryan, thankfully, do not advocate people having two names .. and you say you are using a temporary one .... maybe there is something in the system that picks up it is you under another alias. Just a possibility. There are those of us that would leave the forum if it were simple for people to log in with two identities ... even though it possibly does happen.

I am sure Jim or Bryan will sort it for you when they get back. It can be frustrating. My problems last week were with Google Chrome and as soon as I went back to Internet Explorer they cleared.

You must have misunderstood. I only set up the second user-name because I simply could not access the site using my normal one. To bring the problem to the attention of the administrator I had no choice but to try using a new name. This worked and allowed me to log on and report the problem. I did say that I wanted the second temporary name removed as soon as the problem was solved.

It's been very weird and I do hope that the powers that be can let me know what the problem was. I do not not want two more days like the last two!

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Mozilla did recognise an issue with some internet forums and pushed a patch out.

This may have been the problem and the fix.

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
Mozilla did recognise an issue with some internet forums and pushed a patch out.
This may have been the problem and the fix.

Thanks anyway but I don't use Firefox, I use Google Chrome and I also tried logging on using the latest version of Internet Explorer.

Even if there was a browser problem it still doesn't explain why, when logging on as guest, this site was very quick, but when logging on as a registered user, it was useless!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Admin help needed

Hi and wekcome,
Looks like hopefully everything is sorthed out on your side now.

I assure you that the FUN site is worth it
- well done for persevering :shout::Doh:

I wouder if you will ever get to the bottom of it, or will it be one of thhe great mysteries of the world wide web :Eeek:

S

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back