Adjusting Spring Arms on Omnistor Awning (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a an electric 9200 but I suspect the arm adjustment is similar throughout the range. We are touring in Portugal and I have had an issue with my 6 metre 9200 electric awning not going back in completely on the last 2 occasions, only the last inch or so. It is only 2 years old. I suspect the arms may be out of adjustment and this stops it seating correctly so the motor cuts the pull in. If I support the bar the last 12 inches or so as it goes into the case it is fine. So the spring arms are hanging down too much I think if you get my drift. Is there an adjustment to in effect raise the arms a tad as they go back in without assistance as it has have done since new? We have an 2015 N+B Flair, the awning was factory fitted. There are cables in the arms and I wonder if these need re tensioning, but how?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Definitely not the cables - they're pushing outward. Any adjustment will be on the hinge.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd speak to Omnistor or N&B before fiddling with the arms.
My guess is that the controller needs recalibrating as it's getting the 'closed' point wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I'd speak to Omnistor or N&B before fiddling with the arms.
My guess is that the controller needs recalibrating as it's getting the 'closed' point wrong.
Robert it will go in as long as I lift/support the main bar. So I think somehow the arms are creating resistance as they try to seat and the motor switched off due to this, as indeed it does when you wind it tight against the cross arms when setting it up.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Have emailed both John Rose and Hillview hopefully one will give me a Janet & John. Ladders out soon as I've showered!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OK update. I have attached a picture of the inner hinge mechanism. The lower part with the 2 cross head screws is a simple hinge. The 2 screws are fully tight. The rocking hinge above has 2 threaded holes which if they had screws would limit the downward movement of the spring bar. The hinge is in the open position as the awning gets close to seating it rocks back if you can see the curved slot.
IMG_20170903_105226.jpg
Both sides have empty holes which leads me to believe nothing was in there from the getgo. So it is clear that if there were screws of some description then you could adjust the maximum angle of the arm.
I decided to put some WD40 in both hinge areas and now the awning retracts and seats correctly. Whether this is the solution or merely some respite for an otherwise incorrect installation I don't know. If anyone reading this is able to look at their hinge and see if they have adjustment screws that would be very helpfull. This hinge has a snap on plastic cover, not photographed, so looking from a distance you will not see it.
Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
After much playing and applying silicone to the other moving parts of the arm I can say, and this affirmed by Sally so it must be true, that the awning now operates better than it ever did. It used to "clunk" as it deployed from the case and also clunk click on seating, now neither, just smooth in and out. I can find no reference to lubrication or indeed any maintenance elements in the instructions so if anyone reads this I would think a once a year cleaning and lubrication of the hinges and moving joints would be a good regime to employ.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I lubricated the hinges on ours with silicone spray after they became noisy.

I also did the same on the legs.

The only downside was that this lead to greasy marks on the underside of the awning, though this wasn't a major problem.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have this awning but a 4m one I'm sure I have screws in the top holes or locking nuts, I noticed them as it looked like they were not screwed in properly, but I may be getting mixed up with the bottom ones.... give me five mins and I'll go and investigate....

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Fridge OK so far fingers crossed, but when I was looking for a fuse in the relay box, which was supposed to be in position 16 but thats another issue, I found that the fridge 30amp fuse had melted plastic although the fuse was still intact. So I assume the engineer shorted the 12vdc when he was working but just a touch to warm the fuse like an element. Anyway replaced it. I did not notice the fridge not working when driving but am testing the 12 vdc element later to make sure.
The other story is the Truma Duocontrol CS is somehow taking gas from both bottles and not indicating changeover if I force the scenario. Its not a major issue and I have a spare complete unit but will talk to Truma on Monday and see what they say. Just out of 2 years! That's why I was looking at position 16, its supposed to be 3 amp for the ice heating thing for the regulator, but is a 10 amp and indicated for something else. Anyway at least the awning is OK, and the fridge does work. Oh yes another Remis string has broken, all 3 have gone at the bottom on the white string as a result of a corroded spring, easy to fix. So this winter the lot are out and I will source stainless springs. Only issue is the current one is the kitchen and it has some sort of framework around it and I am trying to suss how it comes off without taking the Corian up-stand and the glass shield out!!!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have this awning but a 4m one I'm sure I have screws in the top holes or locking nuts, I noticed them as it looked like they were not screwed in properly, but I may be getting mixed up with the bottom ones.... give me five mins and I'll go and investigate....
Thanks that will be terrific. I await your post!!!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Ok, I only have one hole on the top but I was right in that there is a nut/bolt in it..? I have no idea what it does but it is obviously an adjustment thing... sorry for the state of the pictures but it is dark and raining here in Carharrack....

IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG

If you need further better pictures I'll do them when it's lighter....:cool:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Fridge OK so far fingers crossed, but when I was looking for a fuse in the relay box, which was supposed to be in position 16 but thats another issue, I found that the fridge 30amp fuse had melted plastic although the fuse was still intact. So I assume the engineer shorted the 12vdc when he was working but just a touch to warm the fuse like an element. Anyway replaced it. I did not notice the fridge not working when driving but am testing the 12 vdc element later to make sure.
The other story is the Truma Duocontrol CS is somehow taking gas from both bottles and not indicating changeover if I force the scenario. Its not a major issue and I have a spare complete unit but will talk to Truma on Monday and see what they say. Just out of 2 years! That's why I was looking at position 16, its supposed to be 3 amp for the ice heating thing for the regulator, but is a 10 amp and indicated for something else. Anyway at least the awning is OK, and the fridge does work. Oh yes another Remis string has broken, all 3 have gone at the bottom on the white string as a result of a corroded spring, easy to fix. So this winter the lot are out and I will source stainless springs. Only issue is the current one is the kitchen and it has some sort of framework around it and I am trying to suss how it comes off without taking the Corian up-stand and the glass shield out!!!
Which windows do you have ?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Ok, I only have one hole on the top but I was right in that there is a nut/bolt in it..? I have no idea what it does but it is obviously an adjustment thing... sorry for the state of the pictures but it is dark and raining here in Carharrack....

View attachment 183372 View attachment 183373

If you need further better pictures I'll do them when it's lighter....:cool:
Thanks for getting wet, its hard to see so I would appreciate a picture as clearly there is some adjustment, I did not notice you lived in Carharrack when we are home we live in Falmouth!! I have a good basis to ask some questions now!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks for getting wet, its hard to see so I would appreciate a picture as clearly there is some adjustment, I did not notice you lived in Carharrack when we are home we live in Falmouth!! I have a good basis to ask some questions now!

Your welcome, as said mine only as one hole on the top left next to the hinge, I'm pretty sure it is a locking nut though so what adjustment it does I'm not sure but when it's lighter and not raining I'll get the ladder out and have a good look... but it's not going to be today I'm afraid... it's miserable out there, nearly put the heating on last night...:eek:

Yes not far from Falmouth.... we are of to Croatia next Tuesday 12th hopefully with the sun....
(y)

Edit... that's top right....!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Your welcome, as said mine only as one hole on the top left next to the hinge, I'm pretty sure it is a locking nut though so what adjustment it does I'm not sure but when it's lighter and not raining I'll get the ladder out and have a good look... but it's not going to be today I'm afraid... it's miserable out there, nearly put the heating on last night...:eek:

Yes not far from Falmouth.... we are of to Croatia next Tuesday 12th hopefully with the sun....
(y)

Edit... that's top right....!
We did plan Croatia but put it off till next year with some friends. We are in Porto at the moment being buzzed by Red Bull pilots. I will be interested in your route to Croatia from Cornwall.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
he other story is the Truma Duocontrol CS is somehow taking gas from both bottles and not indicating changeover if I force the scenario. Its not a major issue and I have a spare complete unit but will talk to Truma on
Ours does that when the first bottle gets low and then after a while it settles I think It's the gas vaporising in different temperatures during the day the valve thinks the first bottle is empty until it warms up a bit (y)(y)

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Ours does that when the first bottle gets low and then after a while it settles I think It's the gas vaporising in different temperatures during the day the valve thinks the first bottle is empty until it warms up a bit (y)(y)
Thanks but both bottles now show 80% and 90% respectively, the scenario you refer to I have seen myself but this was 2 full bottles. I have looked at my spare regulator and there is a definite difference between the two selector knobs resistance. I appreciate your comment.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you turn off both bottles and turn open a gas valve on the hob, does the indicator on the valve go red?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
OK Wizard it has gone red. I await your next instruction?

Open a nice cold beer and carefully decant into a glass - retire to a comfy lounger and watch the world go by

Seriously though, I'd suggest turning off one gas bottle and run the system as a manual changeover valve.
That way, you'll never run out of gas as there will always be a spare in reserve.

Alternatively open both valves and top up frequently (which we do).

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks. OK the changeover valve has been reset I assume. But are you saying that it has a problem and will continue to draw from both cylinders or has this process cleared the fault. It has worked fine for 2 years and we get an alarm on the main panel when it changes bottles.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks. OK the changeover valve has been reset I assume. But are you saying that it has a problem and will continue to draw from both cylinders or has this process cleared the fault. It has worked fine for 2 years and we get an alarm on the main panel when it changes bottles.
I reckon it may have reset the fault, but you could test this by turning off one bottle and see if it switches over to the the other, otherwise use the valve manually.
We topped ours up quite often, no never actually had it ever switch over

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks Robert, I think this problem stems from the fridge fix when the gas was disconnected. What I have done is photographed the dials and will look again in a week or so and see where I am. Thanks for the heads up. I did start another thread on this problem so 2 solutions for the price of one.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
My Omnistor Awning on our Arto has a problem when retracting the last foot and we have to help it sit correctly in the housing case , it also clunks out when winding out (manual). I will get out tomorrow and lubricate all moving parts .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back