Adhesives, Sealants Which one (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I originaly wrote this quite a while back but didn't post due to reactions on another thread.

This is a review of products used or advised for use by members on fun. It is in no way comprehensive or authorative, just a guide.
I extracted some data from datasheets. All values should be regarded as approximate. The Datasheets are a work of art, differrent test methods and units chosen to make comparrison less than easy (previously encountered in a work environment). I converted Tensile strength stuff to PSI. Insert standard disclaimer here. Tensile strength is an indication of how well it would stick to a blanket, ie pulling verticaly, in our case Shear strengh would be more appropriate but not specified (typicaly could be 50% of tensile). Shore Hardness is an indication of how squashy /flexible it is. Elongation is % length on breakage.

All products require a clean surface prior to bonding. Sika products specify the use of correct pretreatment or activator. Use of correct bondline is required (in our case thickness and length exceeding thickness) Generaly dry conditions and work temperatures in range 10 -30degrees C are specified (if outside this check product details). Another general statement preliminary compatibility tests previous to application are recommend (especialy to unknown plastics). Please refer to the Sika Primer Chart for specific application
information.

Sealant review

Sanitaryware

DOWSIL™ 785 Sanitary Acetoxy Silicone
A one-part, silicone sealant specifically designed for the sealing of sanitary fittings, including baths, showers, sinks, urinals and ceramic tile joints. This product is mildew, fungus resistant and bacteriostatic. It is better protected against bacterial growth.

C-TEC BT1
Hardness Shore A 60
Tensile Strength 420PSI
with unique resistance to mould and fungal infestation, thereby creating a much healthier environment.

Window Rooflight Sealant (for removable/replacment items)
Hodgson SEAMSEAL CV
Non-setting synthetic rubber bedding sealant for metal joints.
Does not skin. The surface of the sealant will appear dry to the touch after several days but will remain pliable beneath the surface. Working time: Approximately 20 minutes.
Primers are not normally required for good adhesion to most metals. Mould resistance: Good
Seamseal CV is a non-drying bedding sealant as described in the National Caravan Council Joint Sealing Manual.

W4
W4 Mastic Sealing Strip is formulated for the sealing and re-bedding of caravan and trailer tent fittings.
no data available

High strengh Adhesive

eg solar panels (typical bond thickness required 3mm)

Sikaflex®-252
Elastic Adhesive
Tensile strength 452 psi
Shear 362psi
Shore A-hardness 55
1-component,moisture cured, polyurethane adhesive with extremely high
thixotropy and high strength.

PURAFLEX 40 is a high modulus, one component, PU sealant and adhesive
Tensile strength 220PSI
Shore A 37
Elongation 700%

Sikaflex®-522 is a low emission 1-component Silane Terminated Polymer (STP) sealant/adhesive. It has a high weathering and mold resistance.
Tensile strength 261PSI
Shore A hardness 40
Elongation 600%

Sikaflex®-291i is a multipurpose product used in marine constructions. It is suitable for making elastic, vibration-resistant joint seals, and can also be used for a variety of interior sealing applications. Sikaflex®-291i bonds extremikaflex®-291i is a multipurpose product used in marine constructions. It is suitable for making elastic, vibration-resistant joint seals, and can also be used for a variety of interior sealing applications. Sikaflex®-291i bonds extremely well to the materials commonly used in marine construction like wood, metals, metal primers and paint coatings (2-C systems), ceramic materials and plastics (GRP, etc.). Sikaflex®-291i must not be used to seal plastics that are prone to stress cracking (e.g. PMMA, PC, etc.).
1-component polyurethane, moisture-curing
Tensile strength 261 PSI
Shore A hardness 40
Elongation 700%

Sealant
Sikaflex EBT - Adhesive Sealant & Filler
Sika EBT can be used as an adhesive, sealant and a filler and is based on Sika's special moisture cured polyurethane making it perfect for both internal and external work.
Sikaflex® EBT+ is a multi-purpose one part, elastic, polyurethane adhesive and sealant. It bonds to all common building materials, is permanently elastic and has excellent grab and gap filling properties.
Tensile strength 218PSI
Shore A hardness 40
Elongation 700%

Sikaflex®-512 Caravan
Chemical base one-part polyurethane-hybrid
is a strong elastic adhesive that bonds and seals in one operation. It is purpose-designed for
building and repairing caravans, motor homes and trailers
Tensile strength 261PSI
Shore A hardness 40
Elongation 400%
Will not bond to surfaces such as PTFE, Silicone, Polythene or Polypropylene. If in doubt carry out a pre-test.

TEK7
As a sealant for both wet and difficult surfaces.
Tec 7 replaces: mounting, wood and P.U. adhesive, silicone sealants, sanitary silicone sealants, acrylic sealants, butyl rubber sealants. Now just one product instead of seven

Tensile Strength:after 7 days: 260 N/cm² 40PSI
Hardness - DIN 53505: 60 Shore A.
Elongation > 350%

EVERBUILD® STIXALL® Crystal Clear
A ONE PART, CHEMICALLY CURING SOLVENT FREE SEALANT AND ADHESIVE BASED ON HYBRID POLYMER TECHNOLOGY
All surfaces must be clean and dust free. Surfaces may
be damp, but have no standing water. Can be used under water but adhesion performance is reduced so
should be applied as an emergency repair in these
conditions only.
Shore A Hardness 40±5
Elongation > 150%

EVERBUILD® STIXALL
Shore A Hardness 55-60
Tensile Strength 220PSI
Elongation > 60%

Soudaseal RV 61
Soudaseal RV61 is a high quality single component
joint sealant with high adhesive strength. It is based
on MS-Polymer®, chemically neutral and fully
elastic. There is no adhesion on PE, PP and PTFE

Hardness (DIN 53505) 40 ± 5 Shore A
Elongation 750 %
Tensile Strength 261PSI

Acrylic sheet product

Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure
a liquid-based sealant and adhesive which has the main property of being an effective penetrator. This has been designed to be thinner than water, and it then penetrates narrow surfaces to create a clear, strong waterproof seal. used to seal plastic indicator lights etc may be suitable for windows.

Pannel sealing, Panel/cab interface
Which product is most appropriate? One that seals and sticks like to a blanket or an easily removable one for rework?
Which of the above have you used, was it suitable?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting article but maybe a little more explanation of the properties and their relevance to use on a motorhome would be nice. I tend to favour CT1 for panel joints as its something I used successfully for several years in the building trade. I was hoping it would be on your list above.

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Personally I'm a great believer in Stixall. I used it while converting 5 self builds and never had a reason to change it for anything else.
I've attached solar panels, sealed windows and rooflights, glued T&G cladding etc. Can't fault it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I’m a great believer of using whatever I find in the garage.
Hi.
I am with you...Plus.... I have found stuff with the price marked in £-s- and d. still. work even better,some of them refuse to come out of the cartridge they stick so well.Power to your elbow.
Tea Bag

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I would also have liked to see a comparison with CT1. It’s my go to sealer/ adhesive since using it for many years in a marine environment. It’s not the easiest stuff to work with or get a good finish but it’s great stuff.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How do they compare with 3M 5200??

Also the generic polymer adhesive from Screwfix Wickes etc?

Cheers James

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I would also have liked to see a comparison with CT1. It’s my go to sealer/ adhesive since using it for many years in a marine environment. It’s not the easiest stuff to work with or get a good finish but it’s great stuff.
I found if you use the proper MultiSolve solvent/cleaner on a tool or finger it's possible to get a nice smooth finish 👍
IMG_20211027_123820226.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Best finish for CT1 I managed with silicone tool like this: and don’t overload it. Always add instead of removing to much.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Best finish for CT1 I managed with silicone tool like this: and don’t overload it. Always add instead of removing to much.
Whatever you use it will work better using the solvent 👍

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
manufawas Interesting article but maybe a little more explanation of the properties and their relevance to use on a motorhome would be nice. I tend to favour CT1 for panel joints as its something I used successfully for several years in the building trade. I was hoping it would be on your list above.
The list was created from references in threads that i had read, at that time no-one had reccomended CT1 and id not personally used or know of it.
The products are grouped in application useage. (not perfectly by any stretch).
I could make it more in depth but i thought the length was/ could be an issue.
My experience of these materials is purely from personal use. Prior to recent retirement I was a manufacturing process engineer with decades of experience of electronic manufacturing within aerospace and a short daliance with transport.
If a more in depth wider comparison is wanted i am happy to spend a minute or two. Feedback about specific materials and applications would be useful. As an example what is the preferred material for metal cab to overcab interface a sealant with give or a high strength adhesive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back