Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Thye "plastic" moulded step into the habitation area on my Eldis has a crack in it.Can anyone recommend a product to repair it.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thye "plastic" moulded step into the habitation area on my Eldis has a crack in it.Can anyone recommend a product to repair it.

I had a similar sounding problem with my Compass recently - I ended up buying a strip of "L" shaped plastic from B & Q and fixing it in place over the cracked moulding with a couple of self tapping screws. I did consider glueing a piece of flat plastic behind the cracked section, but every attempt I've ever made in my life to repair something with glue has ended in abject failure! Let me know if you want a photo of the repair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Need more info on the type of plastic and a piccie would be good...

Gluing plastics successfully can be difficult...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Gluing plastic is often fraught with problems, all due to the same cause, lack of preparation
It should always be remembered every piece of plastic produced, is heavily contaminated with what is called a Releasing Agent, a product used in the manufacturing process to stop the plastic sticking to the molds.:thumb:
Ergo, it also stops anything, including glue sticking to the plastics:Doh:
preparation,preparation, preparation,
Clean off with something like Isolpropyl alcohol cleaner first, BUT test an unseen side first as this stuff can and will damage most plastics so use sparingly and carfully if you have not got any, the next best thing is to sand paper to a dull finish then glue, not really suitable if you have to look at the finished job, but it will stick
Geo

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You need some of THIS I have used it it's not cheap but works but as Geo says the key is preparation.

As they say " Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back