Additional Leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi I would like to install 2 additional Leisure batteries making 4 in total. Our existing ones are only 11 month old and have never been heavily discharged. My question is that knowing the best advice is to have all the batteries age and ah matched ---------what is likely to happen in terms of battery life expectancy if I don't age match them? Thanks again Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would add two more but make sure they are the same type open,sealed,Gel,AGM or whatever and same make and model would be good as that way they will all have the same performance curves, end of the day though you are joining them together to make one big battery.

For a year I can't see that age is much of an issue.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
crater_rim_400x195.png
life expectancy if I don't age match them?

This where the meet was when that question was asked, the relatives gather to honour the FUNsters gone to the great pitch in the sky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Worst case scenario apart from Brians
Say the 1 x year old Batteries perform at 90% and your new one being new should perform at 100%
then your new giant battery set will perform at 95% Dont loose any sleep if the old batteries are in good fettle Howeverif you do have a bad one that is causing you to look at adding more powerthen that one will pull down the overall set up
these figures are for example only and should be commented on as such

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Minor point - how much more will your vans payload be compromised by two more lumps of lead?

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
A serious question is do you have the means to charge 4 of them ? It needs quite a charger to do that in a respectable time.
Yes a very good point from Brain, if the onboard charger is say 20amp then thats 5amp per battery that could take some time to pick back up. I had the same problem and changed the charger for a 50amp one but even with that when i have been hitting them hard with the inverter can take a good while to recover

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Thats a lot Martin when you don't have much payload to start with in the first place.:xeek:

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A serious question is do you have the means to charge 4 of them ? It needs quite a charger to do that in a respectable time.
I have 200w of solar panels and presently my batteries never go remotely flat. I want additional battery capability to extend our off ehu capability

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I read that you could overcook your standard charger if the four batteries get significantly low. If you charge via an Elektroblok they can breakdown if asked to charge at a rate beyond their capacity. Somewhere* out there in the internet Webby there's a charger amperage to battery capacity ratio to aim for (with the inference that the limit should not be exceeded.)

*A&N Caravan Services?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have 200w of solar panels and presently my batteries never go remotely flat. I want additional battery capability to extend our off ehu capability

200W is 16A theoretical max. Realistically half that. How many hours 8 would be amazing. 10A * 8h = 80Ah.

I'm afraid you look way below what you need on the charger front.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
200W is 16A theoretical max. Realistically half that. How many hours 8 would be amazing. 10A * 8h = 80Ah.

I'm afraid you look way below what you need on the charger front.
Doesn't that depend on what comes out per day, even using the inverter for the dreaded hair dryer, coffee machine and microwave we only usually put about 50ah back before being fully charged.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Doesn't that depend on what comes out per day
Martin

Yes of course but the OP is saying he needs more capacity. He should know.

>> "I want additional battery capability to extend our off ehu capability"

He will double his time when starting out with a full charge, it's when he has used his energy it can go pear shaped if he cannot replace that charge.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes of course but the OP is saying he needs more capacity. He should know.

>> "I want additional battery capability to extend our off ehu capability"

He will double his time when starting out with a full charge, it's when he has used his energy it can go pear shaped if he cannot replace that charge.
But he also says his current set up has never gone anywhere near flat so really it sounds to me like he is just insuring against too many cloudy days in a row.

Martin

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
But he also says his current set up has never gone anywhere near flat so really it sounds to me like he is just insuring against too many cloudy days in a row.

Martin
Hi Martin-----Your interpretation of our needs is 100% accurate!
Ian

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Two
CA_11081517514407-XL.jpg

Plus two
CA_11081517504478-XL.jpg

Aided by 60amp B2B
And 500kg spare payload

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin-----Your interpretation of our needs is 100% accurate!
Ian
I only know because I did the same, had two GEL batteries on that we're most likely 10 years old so bought two more identical in Germany as they were cheaper there, got home and couldn't bare to throw the the old ones away as they were still good so I mixed the old and the new, certainly more capacity when the inverter is in use and 320watts of solar keeps it all topped up unless it's cloudy, I don't like to see the batteries less than 12.6volts though.

I know you should match the age as close as possible, I did put the old ones via a isolator switch so I can switch them out if they do go down.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back