Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Morning All and Happy New Year.
I need your help in deciding what additional door lock to put on my Motorhome, I've looked at the Milenco and Fiamma ones but don't trust the reviews. I'm guessing a few of you have these fitted, were they easy to fit yourself, my SIL reckons he could do it but I'm concerned about drilling into the door frame. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA, Ginnie

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I had my motorhome broken into via habitation door, I decided extra locks were needed, then I read someone here i believe, that insurance company should be informed as the extra lock would make it harder to break into which is the point of the locks, but that much more damage would be caused at greater cost to insurance company to repair. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There is also the view that if you use a Fiamma type external hab door lock and you use it, you are advertising that you are not in your MH.
We have an external hab door lock fitted, but do not use it, ............... reverse psychology, are we in or not :think:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I've been thinking about this too, I'm looking for a small dummy camera to aim down from above the door as well one with a flashing LED or something. I think as above, with the door locks they will do more damage getting in, so..

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I agree with the dammed if you do, dammed if you dont aspect.
Fit more locks, make it tougher to enter the van, then expect more damage if the thieves gain access, possibly writing the van off in insurance terms.:unsure:
Maybe inconvenient, but take everything valuable with you when you leave the van, passports, bank cards, money, wear them in a money belt or sporran if Scottish.
Good Ideas:
Fit additional security to stop the entire van being nicked like steering wheel locks, clutch claw, OBD lock, Patriot seat lock to lock the driver seat backwards facing, Strikeback Growler alarm, with non start protection, will hopefully stop your whole van being nicked.
OR Budget Option:
Large German Shepperd stickers all over the van, with the dummy water bowl & heavy gauge dog lead left in plain view, upgrade those security mods with a half chewed large bone, with traces of hair on it.:giggle:

LES

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you mean the switch ones - they are made from cast aluminium and will break off with a simple smack with a hammer.
For me seeing door locks across a van door is like a sign saying - there nobody in that van, they've all gone out.
You are not going to stop a break in. Just don't leave any valuables in it and concentrate on stopping them stealing the van.

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have dead locks fitted to the hab door and the drivers door
B7E4D5F2-6FF8-4964-B3F3-EF7E4D41ED59.jpeg
988DD8FC-4455-4FE2-B705-B6D14744D11D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Got the same Abus locks fitted to mine, yours looks as if it’s moved/ rotating a bit from the outside view.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
If it was me I’d work on window security first, MUCH easier to break into a MoHo via a plastic window with crappy locks than through a centrally locked door. There’s all sorts on the market but I really like the simplicity of these products, and no drilling! https://lock-m-out.co.uk/

Cheers!

Russ

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
If it was me I’d work on window security first, MUCH easier to break into a MoHo via a plastic window with crappy locks than through a centrally locked door. There’s all sorts on the market but I really like the simplicity of these products, and no drilling! https://lock-m-out.co.uk/

Cheers!

Russ
Thanks, I intend to buy those too 😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Thanks for all your responses, sadly no further forward in making a decision. As I'll be living in it full-time, the only times I won't be in it is on a club site or CL, I don't intend to wild camp 😁

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sorry no idea of the model number ican’t see any numbers on them it will all depend what habitation door you have I will recheck to see if I can see a number

I’m sure Paul Harrison fits them and I’m sure he is a member here he should be able to advice what model you need for your make of motorhome

Just checked all it says on the lock is Abus

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Thanks Zepp, Just searching the internet for the best deal, will need to get them fitted too :)

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I've put milenco hab lock on our last three MO , the ones that go through and have a handle inside also..these are great as you can lock yourself in ....ain't no one Gona break in whilst your asleep and can't see them wanting to Muller the door frame and door to steal it ..the damage would be to bad to repair.. not to mention noisy

I then use straps that go round both door handles in the cab..the quick release ones ...no way of the door opening without the window being cained out...again would wake the dead let alone the gassed 🤡

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Having searched the entire Abus website I cannot find a mortice lock to fit The Hartel Hab door on our van.
Milenco only seem to do surface mounted exterior fit (slide over type) door locks, cannot see a mortice lock.

Hoesafe locks from Germany have a good lock selection, especially for the cab doors if you have a C class or PVC.
They also do the mortice locks for the garage, need to check out how to fit on the hab door though.:unsure:

I have found Paul Harrisons Company website here:http://www.motorhomelocks.co.uk/ he is up in Worcester by the look of it.
paulharrison

I guess I will have to take some photos of my Hartel Hab door to send to him, as ours does not have the pull off cover to allow the mortice lock to fit flush.
Happy hunting everyone.
LES

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Les,
Here’s my Abus mortise lock, there is another ‘keyed alike’ one on the driver’s entrance, doesn’t really help you of course, but does illustrate what is possible.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Thanks Zepp ,TinaL , Westbarn1 and Reusables, After reading all the comments on here, I've come to the conclusion that I probably don't need all the extra stuff. I'm not wild camping, will only be on CL's or Club sites, can use straps across the cab doors as suggested by Reuseables, have a steering lock, wheelclamp and a notice in the window stating the drivers seat is locked in the rear facing position. If anyone breaks in while I'm in it, I'll just kill them, they won't try again! :boxing::boxing::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Les,
Here’s my Abus mortise lock, there is another ‘keyed alike’ one on the driver’s entrance, doesn’t really help you of course, but does illustrate what is possible.
View attachment 453388View attachment 453389
Thanks for the pics westbarn1
That has to be the coolest looking mortice look ever as the Hab Door (I presume Hartel) inner facia has been designed especially for it.:xThumb:
Can I ask what van you have or had it fitted on?
Thanks.
LES

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Hi Les, it’s on a Hymer BMCi690, I’m assuming it was a from new option, first owner was a German baker, so, unusually for a LHD spec, it has an oven!

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you just want to feel more secure at night, you can buy a simple jamming device which prevents the hab door being opened from the outside.

You could also use on the hab door when away from the van during the day, providing you exit the vehicle via the cab door.

This device is probably one of the cheapest and most effective on the market IMV.

My solution is to have a key operated ABUS deadlock on the cab door and utilise the internal jamming device on the hab door.

PS. Paul Harrison is your man if you want to install an ABUS deadlock on the Hartal hab door, as it is a bit tricky, by all accounts. He has a Carthago and a member on here.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hymer quoted me a truly buttock clenching £780 plus delivery for two key matched deadlocks and trims. Paul Harrison did me 4 on same key (2 for garage doors) I had to modify the existing trims myself as Hymer do not sell them separately. We have several T Allen keys hidden but easily reached around the hab area so they can be unlocked quickly.
61AFFB94-1FB8-4439-BA8E-17C8F91A7A01.jpeg
D275FE52-FB5F-4AB9-82A6-CE144DF1D080.jpeg
047F89EF-569E-41CF-B772-E2CCA84B1E87.jpeg
3CDDDD6C-9863-47C9-AF66-9EA4EC77AB4A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread