Additional charge to starter battery. (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have a battery master connected to the starter battery.positive lead direct and negative to leisure earth. All appears to work ok.
I have added a 2 nd solar controller( which is s spare) to the leisure batteries with a portable panel that I will hook up when on site when no ehu.this is in addition to my roof 200 w panels through an mppt controller.
For thls pmw controller can I connect the 2nd battery outlet to the leisure earth and the battery master lead to the starter battery or do I need to run a lead direct to the starter battery to help increase the charge to the starter battery.
Trust this makes sense.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Whatever is most convenient. Connecting the PWM solar controller to the BM starter lead and the leisure battery negative should be OK. There will be diodes to stop any unwanted back-feeding.

A starter battery doesn't usually require much charging. After a drive, the starter battery is usually well charged, so it's just a matter of keeping it topped up. The current (amps) is usually small (one amp or less) so wire thickness isn't an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I think that you could connect the +ve from the battery 2 output on the solar controller to the battery master output to the starter battery. ( Not sure about connecting it to the input to the battery master but suspect it would work if the voltage difference between the solar output and the starter battery is adequate.) This is assuming that the wires have a large enough cross section for the current being generated.
The earth can be connected to any other earth
eddievanbitz would know.
Beaten to it by autorouter

Upvote 1
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Asside from the battery master I'm not sure what you are doing is a great idea and I might have mis understood but are you saying you will have 2 sets of solar panels connected with 2 different solar controllers to your leisure batteries? All Earths will be common.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If you put 2 solar controllers in parallel one of them will get it's nickers in a twist and go into float mode, I would have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Asside from the battery master I'm not sure what you are doing is a great idea and I might have mis understood but are you saying you will have 2 sets of solar panels connected with 2 different solar controllers to your leisure batteries? All Earths will be common.
Basically yes,an mppt controller from 2 x 100 watt roof mounted and a "portable " 100w panel connected via a pmw controller that I wanted to top up the leisure and cab batteries .
All earths the same and connect the 2nd battery terminal of the pmw controller to a connection between the battery master and cab battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back