LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just after a pointer that may seem a bit stupid to those in the know but I haven't got a clue :rolleyes:

If I add another panel to the roof can I join the outlet from the new panel to the existing one?
Or do I have to run another cable and controller to the leisure batteries?

Sorry if this is obvious I just don't have a clue :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Most probably the easiest and best way to do it...
If you are happy to fit some new mc4 connectors just parallel the panels on the roof and the existing wires that run to the controller are already in place..
Is your controller up to an additional panel... in parallel it's the current rating you need to make sure of. And the added panel in parallel should have similar voltage characteristics to the original...
Andy.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Rich,
When I looked into it, I was going to fit a junction box up on the roof and connect both panels in there so only one existing wire down. If memory serves me I believe a new controller would be required, based on a 100w already up there and another 100w added.. there was a thread I was following about it, I'll try and find it if not a search on it willl bring up loads of info..(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
mine join together inside a waterprooof junction box sika fixed to the roof over the hole with 6 mm cable down to the controller i just cut the existing connectors of as they will not pass through the glands and used strip connectors

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Rich,
When I looked into it, I was going to fit a junction box up on the roof and connect both panels in there so only one existing wire down. If memory serves me I believe a new controller would be required, based on a 100w already up there and another 100w added.. there was a thread I was following about it, I'll try and find it if not a search on it willl bring up loads of info..(y)

Thanks Gary (y)

Just lining up jobs for me to do when I'm actually allowed to "exert" myself :)

I would prefer to keep things simple as it fits it with what I understand :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is also the issue of whether you connect the panels in series or parallel. :) Victron recommends series connection but others on here favour parallel because it may be less impacted by shading. Of course, the voltage limit on your controller needs to be taken into account. You can of course fit a separate controller for each panel to prevent the shading on one panel impacting on the other.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK this is starting to sound complicated o_O
:) TBH I don't think the difference is that great either way. I knew the cables going from the existing panel were a bit on the thin side so when I added a second panel I connected it in series so the losses would be less than they would be if they were connected in parallel. But I'm the only one who knows and any gains are more than offset by the sun going behind a cloud. :)

But the sat dish can shade one of the panels a bit when it is folded down and the sun is shining from a particular direction. Swinging the dish out of the way can give me an extra couple of amps and is worth doing sometimes.

Me, obsessive? :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So the simple answer is "it depends" as a minimum your learned advisers really need to know what controller you have fitted for your existing panel and what if any connection boxes you already have on the roof, if you could find the spec of the existing panel that would be great but it will be on a label on the back which I assume is now stuck to your roof.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If your existing panel is connected on the roof with MC4 connectors then an additional panel can be connected to the existing wiring using a "Y" connector. Assuming your controller can take the additional amps and that the wiring gauge is sufficient.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Easiest way of adding a second panel is to link them in parallel on the roof using MC4 connectors .
Need to make sure your regulator can handle the power.
Don't get overly concerned about cable size 4mm will be fine, greatest loses over the cable is when you have maximum out put in summer so not a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back