Adding second battery (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I'm wanting to add a second battery to the MH I know it's not advisable to to put just one battery on at a time but the one I have now is only 18months old and the MH has only done 2500miles. It also has a solar panel which I would have thought will have kept the present battery in good condition so being a complete Numpty could some one list the parts, Connectors, Cable, etc and a diagram of the best connection method ie Parallel?.
I have uploaded a couple of pictures of the present set up so any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1601.JPG

Thanks Les

fixer

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Ossett
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765S
Exp
I'm a newbie
You got back to Yorkshire safely then, I kept the old one and bought another identical battery from Halifax to add on, make sure they are both fully charged on the same charger before you connect them together.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The classic way is to wire them in parallel, positive to positive, negative to negative, but attach the load to both batteries, that is attach the positive load to the positive terminal of battery #1 and the negative load to the negative terminal of battery #2. If you are only taking a few amps of load this is not essential but if you ever add an inverter it is much better.

There are more complicated ways but if you are just adding a second battery to an existing system and not changing anything else this is the easiest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thanks DB, plenty complicated enough for me:frowny:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The picture on this page might help a bit, though they have complicated it by showing 4 batteries.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
What you want is method 2 but with only two batteries. Alternatively, look at Method 4 and imagine you are using only the top two batteries. This is identical to Method 2 with only 2 batteries.

The idea of doing it this way is it ensures as far as possible both batteries take the load evenly. If you do it like Method 1 the battery nearest the load will do more work than the one further away due to the very small voltage drop over the connecting wires - but unless you are adding an inverter it isn't critical, but it is nice to do it correctly!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The classic way is to wire them in parallel, positive to positive, negative to negative, but attach the load to both batteries, that is attach the positive load to the positive terminal of battery #1 and the negative load to the negative terminal of battery #2. If you are only taking a few amps of load this is not essential but if you ever add an inverter it is much better.

There are more complicated ways but if you are just adding a second battery to an existing system and not changing anything else this is the easiest.
I second that ! done the same thing twice before, and yes charge the new one before you connect.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back