Adding more panels (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2011
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Frankia i800 A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all, we currently have a single 60 watt panel charging two Varta140Ah batteries, the panel more or less copes in sunny climes but We are looking to add either a single 150 watt or 2 X 100 watt panels along with a Victron smart mppt controller.
We would appreciate any advice or suggestions on this as to best configuration and also advice on which size controller to go for.
In simple terms please, as although I am practical, I am not too electrically experienced.
Many thanks, Mike and Dana.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Hi. Victron is a safe bet! Either exchange the setup you have for a 150w or 2 x 100w panels with a Victron MPPT 75/15 or just add the 75/15 (with the new panels in series) without changing the current setup (running both chargers in parallel).

Do not connect old panel together with new panels in series or parallel if you do not know what you’re doing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I like Votronic as well, I second putting the new panels onto their own dedicated controller but I would go parallel rather than series, somebody posted a YouTube video yesterday that seemed to back that up and the "man from Votronic" told me to.

Martin

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
I like Votronic as well, I second putting the new panels onto their own dedicated controller but I would go parallel rather than series, somebody posted a YouTube video yesterday that seemed to back that up and the "man from Votronic" told me to.

Martin
Serial: less cable loss due to higher voltage. More sensitive to shadows (don’t park under a tree). Parallel: more cable loss, shading one panel will only reduce that panels output.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Serial: less cable loss due to higher voltage. More sensitive to shadows (don’t park under a tree). Parallel: more cable loss, shading one panel will only reduce that panels output.
OK thanks I understand the theory, I was careful with my three panels to keep each one on its own 4mm cable to minimise loss before going inside to 6 mm cable to the controller,

IMG_E0348.jpg

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I really think any cable losses over such short distances aren't a concern.

99% or more of those members with multiple panels will be wired in parallel and nobody has said "I must rewire my panels to series"

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
You’re probably correct that nobody have stated that they need to rewire their solar to serial :) Not trying to rain on your parade here, rather enlighten the fellow funsters :)

2 x 100w can produce 12 amps in optimal conditions connected in parallel. 12 amps at 17 volts (vmax on my panels) running ie 6 meters will generate an efficiency loss of 3,53%, which is above the recommended 3% max in 12 volt installations.

Let’s say you want 400 Watts now, or in the near future, the same setup will result in a loss of 7% if connected in parallel. Running the panels in series will bring loss down to 1.75%

Biggest issue when above 200 Watts and a “normal cable run” can be hot - and potential dangerous overheating of the cables.

In my own experience in a normal motorhome with 400 Watts in parallel running awg11 and shortest cable run (in my case about 6m), the cables becomes too hot for comfort. In this parallel configuration one should probably go with awg7 or thicker cable - which few does because of cost and more difficult/invasive/destructive installation process

Your own actual losses you will need to calculate using your own data from your panels, and your cable size and length.

Hot cables can be bad, as well as high voltage shock. Be careful :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back