Adding extra solar (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When you buy the cable splitters, if using Ebay, make sure that they are coming from the UK. I didn't notice that mine were coming from Hong Kong and took weeks to arrive!
Thanks for that
I've been caught out like that before
Hopefully everything will be delivered within the next week, according to Amazon

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When I connect the new panels to the existing ones (using Y connectors) should I cover the existing panels or disconnect the controllers?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have 3 x 100w panels and two Victron controllers the same as yours. One controller handles two panels. So I'm sure you could do the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have played with all permutations and we find that the best set up for say two panels is with two regulators. Throw the rule book out of the window when dealing with mobile panels (on a travelling van)

Shading is a major issue and the best way round this is with two independent systems, also Abacist refers, redundancy, failure and damage

A customer takes out one panel under a sign and the other system continues to operate 100% efficiently

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I would disconnect them at the controllers Robert. You are probably going to have to lift the old ones anyway as the junctions you want will probably be under them.
Thankfully I can access the connectors without removing the panels
We have played with all permutations and we find that the best set up for say two panels is with two regulators. Throw the rule book out of the window when dealing with mobile panels (on a traveling van)

Shading is a major issue and the best way round this is with two independent systems, also Abacist refers, redundancy, failure and damage

A customer takes out one panel under a sign and the other system continues to operate 100% efficiently

Thanks Eddie

Would you suggest disconnecting the controllers, before breaking the MC4 connectors on the roof to add the extra panels?

Didn't like to call you to ask as it seemed a bit cheeky as I'm doing the job myself, but being as you're contributing to the thread I don't feel so bad about asking.

Regards
Robert

Ps Just in case anyone is wondering why I'm not going back to Vanbitz to get my extra panels fitted. It's a 6-8 hour round trip drive (depending on the traffic)

I'm a great fan of Eddie and the team, and have used them for Solar, Growler, Inverter and Air Con, but can't justify going all that way for something I can do myself (hopefully)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well you can branch into the existing connectors on the roof. We wouldn't

The cable is 4mm2 solar cable and we prefer to run an additional pair. I'll happily send you a set of cables FOC as you and your good lady are such lovely people

It could be cheaper for us if we thought we could get away with 2mm2 but we don't

Are you having issues with two panels? are your batteries going flat? are you just suffering solar panel envy:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Eddie - no problems with the panels, they are coping well as we could expect, thank you.
On our recent 3 week trip to Portugal, the battery voltage never dropped below 12.6V.
But with 320ah of leisure batteries to support, whilst powering Mrs C's on board hair salon, and my taste for Espresso coffee, I feel that any extra resilience we can get would be of benefit, especially during the less sunny months.

Furthermore I believe that our Carthago built in B2B charger is nowhere near as good as the Sterling 60A one you fitted in our old van - so as such we rely more on the solar that we would have otherwise done.

The two 60 watt panels I have bought are pre wired with 5m of 2.5mm cable (and connectors), which would be enough to reach the controllers, though I would need to break the seal on the existing cable entry gland to do this and faff around trying to connect to the controllers, in the tiny space above our oven

image-jpeg.116755

I'm therefore tempted to connect to the existing cable runs, undoing the MC4 connector that you fitted, and fitting the Y branch connectors, having first cut the new cables to the required length (unless you suggest leaving them at the supplied length, with their pre fitted connectors)

If you feel strongly about running cables back to the controllers then I will do this - otherwise I'd prefer to go for the easier option which doesn't require breaking the seal on the roof.

Appreciate your opinions as ever - thank you!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well it is the easiest option, so try it

We cal alway send James along should there be any issue, which truthfully I doubt

Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back