Adding a towbar increases garage load capacity... (1 Viewer)

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
According to a posting on the Dethleffs Owners Facebook page, Dethleffs has stated that a factory fitted towbar with chassis extensions on a Fiat low chassis INCREASES garage load capacity of a Pulse from 150 kg to 250kg.

I kind of understand because the floor might be better supported but I'd expect Dethleffsbut did not would caveat that comment by saying the towbar and chassis extensions will also detract from the overall payload, which itself is split across the front and rear axles. Moreover you should check your rear axle loading at a weighbridge before assuming you can safely put 250kg in your garage.

Am I being overly critical of the advice being given by Dethleffs or am I just plain wrong?

On the upside, I never knew you could increase your garage load so easily.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I suppose, in that case, by adding the uprated extensions you can increase the garage capacity without the additional weight of the towbar.
The towbar itself has no bearing whatsoever on increasing the garage capacity.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Fair point.

I understand the original query was whether adding a towbar would DECREASE garage load capacity, and the reply to the contrary raised eyebrows.

As you say, maybe the chassis extensions are the key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it will be the extensions alone as they will have to take the weight of towbar, all towing forces plus any nose weight of a trailer.

I reckon if you were to fit extensions AND a towbar you may gain 50kg of payload, not the claimed 100kg as the heavier brackets and towbar have to be taken into account.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Sunlight confirmed the same on our T68, and SAP agreed, as the chassis extensions now more robust because of the additional metal added as part of the tow bracket.

as confirmed above, unless you’ve upgraded from standard 3500kg weight, their may be no benefit at all. And on a long van, who wants all that weight at the back!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I assume that as the factory are fitting the towbar then they uprate the chassis extensions, giving the garage floor more strength. You may well be able to put more weight on the garage floor BUT you still need to see how that reflects on the rear axle weights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I believe the following pics show a Fiat lightweight low camper chassis, and the reinforcement brought by the towbar.

download.jpeg

images.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back