Adding a free standing Solar PV to an existing install (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2020
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since2001
I have "Bubble" a 2016 Hymer B544 in undercover storage. There is an existing 100w panel wired to an "Invotec GSC F12-10M" solar controller and 2*100A AGM batteries, wired into EBL 30 with an LT 95 F habitation control panel. The Invotec is a 10A MPPT controller. As it is set up, I have no indication what the solar is doing on the habitation panel. Does the Schaudt MPP LRM1218 provide such information to the LT 95F or is this panel too simple?

Unfortunately, there is no provision for EHU in storage. So I see 2 options, either swing down and take Bubble out every other weekend for a battery top up or use a 200W popup suitcase PV panel in front of Bubble to charge the batteries in absence of EHU.

Whilst the Invotec is capable of handling the ouput from a north light winter exposure of a 200w panel which I doubt would reach any more than 100w (given the northerly aspect), would there be merit is taking the Invotec out, dropping in the LRM1218, setting up a switch to isolate the existing 100w soalar pv which would swich in the portable 200w?

Comments appreciated and other suggestions .....

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Keep the Hab batteries at home over the winter topping up as necessary but that won't help the cab battery! Not familiar with Hymer specifics!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
All I can offer is that folding Solar panels are a great asset....I use one to supplement my vans fixed roof panel which offers very little during winter months..I've become a very active solar harvester....and find flat roof mounted panels to be quite disappointing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The LT95 panel seems to be a very basic display, only showing battery voltages and tank levels. The LRM1218 won't add any more information to it.

If you can set up a portable 200W panel in the sunlight it would be more than adequate to keep the batteries topped up. Assuming the security aspect of leaving a portable panel outside isn't a problem. There's no need for any switching. The solar controllers will have diodes to prevent any unwanted back-feeding. You can just connect them both to the battery and they will sort themselves out.

If you haven't already bought the LRM1218, you might be better with a Victron SmartSolar which can Bluetooth to a phone app, or maybe a Votronic Duo, which has two battery outputs so you can top up the starter battery too. Not sure how the Votronic does Bluetooth, might need an extra Bluetooth dongle.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have "Bubble" a 2016 Hymer B544 in undercover storage. There is an existing 100w panel wired to an "Invotec GSC F12-10M" solar controller and 2*100A AGM batteries, wired into EBL 30 with an LT 95 F habitation control panel. The Invotec is a 10A MPPT controller. As it is set up, I have no indication what the solar is doing on the habitation panel. Does the Schaudt MPP LRM1218 provide such information to the LT 95F or is this panel too simple?

Unfortunately, there is no provision for EHU in storage. So I see 2 options, either swing down and take Bubble out every other weekend for a battery top up or use a 200W popup suitcase PV panel in front of Bubble to charge the batteries in absence of EHU.

Whilst the Invotec is capable of handling the ouput from a north light winter exposure of a 200w panel which I doubt would reach any more than 100w (given the northerly aspect), would there be merit is taking the Invotec out, dropping in the LRM1218, setting up a switch to isolate the existing 100w soalar pv which would swich in the portable 200w?

Comments appreciated and other suggestions .....
Only flat panels are useless in winter. I used to get virtually full power out of our 40w free standing panel in winter. So when I fitted the one on the roof I fitted hinges 👌👍

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Only flat panels are useless in winter. I used to get virtually full power out of our 40w free standing panel in winter. So when I fitted the one on the roof I fitted hinges 👌👍
Exactly, my 150w folding panel is fantastic, move it to catch the rays, tomorrow I hope to have completed a new roof mounted 200w conversion which tilts from flat to whatever angle you need.....getting 41w whilst flat, and 156w elevated.....just love solar..🌞🌞🌞🌞

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
I have 80w on the roof, can I connect an 80w folding directly to the leisure battery to give me that bit extra when on site with no EHU. will connecting it damage to the sargent EC700 unit on my Autosleeper 2019 Corinium duo?.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes...via a suitable Solar controller...wait a while for the Tech answers to flood in...someone will advise you of the most suitable/ efficient way...

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
(y)Bump

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
That's a good idea if you are adding extra panels to connect to the same solar regulator. However if you are adding extra panels with their own separate solar regulator, you can just connect the regulator direct to the battery.

The only downside will be if the existing setup has a method of accounting for the state of charge - a percentage reading maybe - and the extra solar stuff won't register in that accounting process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back