May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Hi
I bought a container of Adblue last October but have not used or opened it yet?
2 questions, will it still be ok? I am going away next week, only from Sussex to Dorset but have never topped up the Adblue. The van has done only just under 5000miles in 2 years and the warning light hasn’t come on. Can I just top up or must I wait for the warning light?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
When the warning first comes on, you have about 1500 miles to fill up before it goes into limp mode.
Sounds like a lot for a motorhome but not so much for a commercial van.

I'd wait until the warning light...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for your prompt replies guys. As I will be doing only hundred or so miles this time ( a first surely!) but have to get out somehow, I will wait until the light comes on.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I’d top up now, did mine this morning as it was showing half full/empty and I had 10 litres handy.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Once open, a container of AdBlue has a limited shelf life, so top up too early and you risk wasting more & having to dispose of (appropriately).
I've topped up once at a pump in 13000 miles ( Citroen Relay 15 litre tank AFAIK ).

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Shelf life of an unopened Adblue container should be around 2 years. Keep my container for Tig under the stairs in the cool and dark.

Steve

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have one of these and only takes a few minutes to hand pump 10ltrs.
Morelo put the adblue in one of the lockers so awkward to fill.
10A9B0EC-5F6B-48A0-8F93-57DEAAD93287.jpeg

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think unless doing lots of miles it makes more sense to buy at the pump, it’s always going to be fresher than a can and the price difference is very little.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It should be okay to use.

I wouldn’t leave it until the light comes on. We did so on our Peugeot Boxer 2019, and topped up when the light came on. The light refused to go off.

Forum members advised that it would probably go off after driving about 30 miles, but it didn’t. I booked it in to a Peugeot dealer when it was still showing after 80 miles. On the way to the garage it went out, fortunately so I cancelled the appointment. Worrying though.

Now I top up after every 1000 miles, so that the problem doesn’t recur.

Your choice though. Do you feel lucky?:giggle:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Do you feel lucky?
If you wait for the sensor warning... luck doesn't come into it, you'll have at least 1000 miles to top up.
There's cautious and then there's paranoia.

If the light went out of it's own accord, albeit 80 miles rather than 30, there isn't a problem to avoid.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you wait for the sensor warning... luck doesn't come into it, you'll have at least 1000 miles to top up.
There's cautious and then there's paranoia.

If the light went out of it's own accord, albeit 80 miles rather than 30, there isn't a problem to avoid.
OK, so i’m Paranoid. It doesn’t mean that they are not out to get me!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
It should be okay to use.

I wouldn’t leave it until the light comes on. We did so on our Peugeot Boxer 2019, and topped up when the light came on. The light refused to go off.

Forum members advised that it would probably go off after driving about 30 miles, but it didn’t. I booked it in to a Peugeot dealer when it was still showing after 80 miles. On the way to the garage it went out, fortunately so I cancelled the appointment. Worrying though.

Now I top up after every 1000 miles, so that the problem doesn’t recur.

Your choice though. Do you feel lucky?:giggle:
I have to use Adblue on my VW Tig, and the User Manual contains a message for the paranoid that the warning light may not go out if the vehicle was not damn near billiard table level when refilled. I've since discovered that a] the light does tend to extinguish after several miles [presumably because the fluid has leveled up and the sensor has had a chance to reset itself]; and b] the light is less likely to extinguish if you have 'run down the clock' AND then refilled/partially refilled [my open Adblue container had date expired ...] whilst on a slope! Although I haven't driven too many miles since the refill [just under 500 since late January], I think any problem would have showed itself by now! [MOT Test, Service + CamBelt, Tensioners etc changed about 3 weeks later at VW Main Dealers].

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back