Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Some of the trucks are having trouble running with adblue. Some firms have even by passed the adblue not as a money saving on the adblue Just the hassle they have had getting their trucks to run right. Yes they are saving on buying adblue but even firms that are not on the naughty list have bypassed it because of the hassle. If a truck is not on the road it’s no earning money. May be the laws have gone quicker then technology is keeping up.

Deleted User
Some of the trucks are having trouble running with adblue. Some firms have even by passed the adblue not as a money saving on the adblue Just the hassle they have had getting their trucks to run right. Yes they are saving on buying adblue but even firms that are not on the naughty list have bypassed it because of the hassle. If a truck is not on the road it’s no earning money. May be the laws have gone quicker then technology is keeping up.

Don't think that many will be doing it, the penalties can be severe

http://motortransport.co.uk/blog/20...hree-hauliers-punished-traffic-commissioners/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes penalties are harsh for a bit of pollution compared to running bent. When that Russian aircraft carrier went up the English Channel, the crap coming out of its stack and I bet there are a lot more like that. Makes a bit of adblue paltry.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Watch Dispatches on Channel 4 tomorrow night (Monday, May 9th) I think

Britain's Diesel Scandal

This investigation includes undercover footage showing how British hauliers are using high-tech 'cheat' devices and computerised hacking to disable their vehicles' emissions controls

Deleted User

Britain's Diesel Scandal

This investigation includes undercover footage showing how British hauliers are using high-tech 'cheat' devices and computerised hacking to disable their vehicles' emissions controls

May I humbly refer you to post #63:)

I think you missed the word'some' from your post

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There is so many electronic bits on the trucks now and that is what let’s the down. Because of this a lot are leasing new trucks all the time. That’s ok with low interest rates, a rise in rates might see a few fold.

Deleted User
There is so many electronic bits on the trucks now and that is what let’s the down. Because of this a lot are leasing new trucks all the time. That’s ok with low interest rates, a rise in rates might see a few fold.

I doubt that many hauliers these days are in a position to pay cash for trucks costing anything from £70000 upwards so any increase in interest rates will affect any that use any form of credit.

I have leased or contract hired trucks for over 15 years, as you rightly say modern trucks are far too complicated for most small hauliers to contemplate servicing etc and leasing is a viable fixed cost alternative.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
May I humbly refer you to post #63:)

I think you missed the word'some' from your post

No, No Sir. I didn't leave anything out or edit it for nefarious reasons.

My post was taken straight from the Channel 4 website. If anything was missed it was their omission.
()

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Well fair enough of course but the figures speak for themselves (Euro 6 with AdBlue reduces diesel emissions by 90%) and you might do so at the risk of being restricted as to where you wander (more and more so in the future no doubt)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The cost is far too high for the cost of making it, I cannot use the truck fillers as they have a magnetic valve in their tanks Mine doesn't and even worse I cannot get the filler into the letterbox that Hymer deem adequate to service the vans through. Buy it in 10 litre lots and it is 1.50/1.70p a litre in the dealers or 35p in the bulk fill supplied to haulage companies and garages. I need to get one of the magnet valve confusers and fill my drums for later use from my friends farm where he has it in his tractors.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The cost is far too high for the cost of making it, I cannot use the truck fillers as they have a magnetic valve in their tanks Mine doesn't and even worse I cannot get the filler into the letterbox that Hymer deem adequate to service the vans through. Buy it in 10 litre lots and it is 1.50/1.70p a litre in the dealers or 35p in the bulk fill supplied to haulage companies and garages. I need to get one of the magnet valve confusers and fill my drums for later use from my friends farm where he has it in his tractors.
I filled my 10l container from the forecourt pumps a couple of times. Then I came up against one of the ones with a magnetic release. I still managed to fill my container but it was a very slow process, so I have gone back to buying it from Halfords. Apparently the magnetic release is to stop Muppets from thinking they can put it in their diesel tanks.

AdBlue has a limited shelf life and is easily contaminated. With my limited consumption I don’t think that using drums is an option for me.

Deleted User

Annular magnet was about £30 when I bought one quite a few years ago if you think it's worth it.

Also you have to be very careful not to contaminate the adblue in the storage vessel.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

Britain's Diesel Scandal

Sorry, of course that was meant to be April (not May). Getting a little excited for the Summer coming!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Adblue is better in every way than the alternative - which is EGR. Anyone who has removed the inlet manifold from a high-mileage engine running EGR won't take any convincing. The inlet manifold, inlet ports, and inlet valves are progressively choked by exhaust products until performance is badly affected. A Mondeo owned by a friend was left with a 25mm passage through the inlet by 150,000 miles. Adblue has no effect on the engine at all. Incidentally the crystals formed by spillage will be water-soluble.
I agree,(even if it looks like i dont)
Ad blue quality varies though and the general crystalising issue can block some systems
Trucks have had it for 12 years and there are still some issues,but EGR is definately NOT the way , i agree
It remains to be seen on MoHo application and how the dealers/manufacturers pass the buck around if/when it goes wrong

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I only saw a few minutes of the program. Once they started asking ordinary people for their opinions and giving weight to them I gave up.

I know of a farmer out here who has resorted to a cheat device on his tractor. It is relatively new and still under warranty. He has had numerous faults with the tractor's sensors shutting it down due to Ad-Blue issues and the dealers cannot resolve the problem. So he has side stepped the issue by fitting a device and not running on Ad-Blue. Can't say that I blame him.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I really would prefer it if people didn’t poison my grandchildren. There was a time when we did it accidentally but to do it deliberately, just to steal an advantage over other hauliers who are doing the honest thing, is something I would like to see them stamping down on hard.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I only saw a few minutes of the program. Once they started asking ordinary people for their opinions and giving weight to them I gave up.

I know of a farmer out here who has resorted to a cheat device on his tractor. It is relatively new and still under warranty. He has had numerous faults with the tractor's sensors shutting it down due to Ad-Blue issues and the dealers cannot resolve the problem. So he has side stepped the issue by fitting a device and not running on Ad-Blue. Can't say that I blame him.
He is probably running on the road illegally on red diesel, overweight whilst dragging sh** all over the road and driving in front of a huge queue of traffic....another offence won’t make that much difference

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
He is probably running on the road illegally on red diesel, overweight whilst dragging sh** all over the road and driving in front of a huge queue of traffic....another offence won’t make that much difference

What a very narrow and ill-conceived opinion. :rolleyes:

Farmers use red diesel on the road quite legally. How else would you expect them to switch over to the higher taxed stuff whilst commuting between fields?

As for your other stuff; Just pure prejudiced speculation. How is a tractor and plough, harrow or drill overloaded? Utter tosh!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Farmers use red diesel on the road quite legally. How else would you expect them to switch over to the higher taxed stuff whilst commuting between fields?

As for your other stuff; Just pure prejudiced speculation. How is a tractor and plough, harrow or drill overloaded? Utter tosh!
As a farmer’s son, I was thinking the same - agricultural vehicles must not be confused with normal road going ones

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Am not anti farm , but as in all walks of life there is good and bad. The days of a farmer moving half a mile down the road to the next field are long gone. Today farming is on an industrial scale with huge machinery traveling miles and miles on the roads, also some of these are contractors not the actual farmer. Because they get involved with a particular crop to supply supermarkets they have to supply X amount so end up traveling miles along the roads to rented fields to meet demand. Add to this the government and council are building huge amounts of new homes in rural areas without improving roads , each house will have 2 cars minimum which then get frustrated stuck behind tractors on single track roads traveling to and from work.

Deleted User

Don't know about France but in the UK farmers do a lot more than move agricultural machinery between fields, it is normal to see huge tractors towing 20+ ton loads for miles, but of course they will all have different tractors using non rebated fuel to do that, rebated fuel can legally only be used for a limited distance on public roads.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Having watched the channel 4 dispatches documentary it left me with the following concerns:
1.With cheat devices fitted the vehicles tested were 2.8 times more polluting than those using Adblue.
2.Euro Emissions minister confirmed "the cost over benefit" issue of not fitting more rolling road test stations to detect cheating devices or software, in other words not enough people have been proven to have died yet from diesel emissions to warrant the installation costs of these test centres. But he didn't give any indication as to what the death toll would have to reach before a reconsideration was made on this issue either!obviously 21,000 quoted deaths in London caused by pollution is not enough then?
3. All lorries with 63/64 registrations cannot be detected by the traffic monitoring cameras, for the appropriate amount of LEZ tariffs as that was the year they changed the acceptable emission levels from manufacturers.
4. It was quoted for a cost of £700 (average) a software company could remotely change the Ad Blue software settings on most vehicles, which would with the current testing methods, make the defeat undetectable, even for MOT testing stations.
5. There are 400,000 lorries registered in the UK!!!!, yes I say again 400,000 Lorries!!!, but what is the Actual overall number on our roads each year??? When on motorways I see more foreign plates than UK ones...or is that just me?

Interesting but scary program as usual, just proves as usual that LEZ and other forms of indirect taxation does not work, and please dont ask me where all the money goes, bet they can't answer that one either.
The whole argument can be blown out of the water when Heathrow has to build its 3rd runway, and the methodology thats being used to control emissions, especially those of Sadik Khan current Mayor of London
Les

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I was ( of course) not includind the law abiding Farmers.

Just the ones fitting cheat devices to their tractors :)

( And the ones moving 20 tonnes of spuds on a 12 tonne single axle trailer 25 miles to market on public roads using “red” )

With respect, i know red diesel is legal field to field, but if you believe that Is the sole use....by all farmers...

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I was ( of course) not includind the law abiding Farmers.

Just the ones fitting cheat devices to their tractors :)

( And the ones moving 20 tonnes of spuds on a 12 tonne single axle trailer 25 miles to market on public roads using “red” )

With respect, i know red diesel is legal field to field, but if you believe that Is the sole use....by all farmers...

So, if you were a farmer who had shelled out upwards of €60K for a brand new tractor that had spent more time off work than on it and the dealers couldn't or won't fix it, would you let it stand or work around it?

Farmers are on tight deadlines to get jobs done. They can't afford to have a machine not working.

BTW: Do you know the regulations regards using red diesel in France?

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695

I’m afraid I do not know about any French regulations

So, how can you qualify your first remark? :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back