LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I accidentally spilt some AdBlue in the locker where it is refilled and didn't notice it as it's a clear liquid.
Within a week a huge cluster of white crystals appeared across the locker floor covering and up the carpeted side wall; a right devil to remove it was too!
Cannot understand why Morelo have installed the filling point where they have, it makes it so difficult to fill. Why not an external point, its not as if it does not have enough hatches and filling points already for various other functions. Don't get me started on the windscreen washer tank filling point, impossible to fill without a hose even using a watering can was almost impossible. Best solution was to cut an old mineral water bottle which fits directly into the small filling hole and use it as a funnel.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20171123-050204.png
you can get an adblue hose off ebay or Mercedes. Each end screws so nothing leaks. Makes filling really easy.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have used Halfords and forecourt Adblue in my Merc for the last 2+ years and had no problems.

It chemically breaks down the Nitrogen-oxide to nitrogen and water, I think just changes the combination of one polluting material with another to make another ??????????????? All engines produce oxides of nitrogen. Jet engines make loads and that is why we have an LEZ in London to try and nullify the pollution from Heathrow upwind of London, by cutting back on the vehicles.

I don’t think nitrogen or water are pollutants. We breathe one normally (78% of fresh air is nitrogen) and we drink the other. Very close to Heathrow they attribute 16% of the NOX to the airport but most of the London problem is blamed on vehicles.

If I had a choice I would prefer not to have to top up the Adblue but it is not really a problem. VW got themselves into a deep hole trying to achieve Euro6 without it and Fiat tried a different system but that seems to have several issues too. I think we are just going to have to get used to it if we want diesel engines.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Anything that works downstream of the engine has my vote. Adblue is a good system. The poor alternative (EGR) works to reduce combustion temperatures - the very opposite of what all IC engines are designed to achieve.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I paid £19.99 for 10 Ltrs on the forecourt of a motorway service station. Is that a good price (although I think I know the answer already)!

And, what happens if you run out of AdBlue? Does the engine stop? Can the engine be damaged without AdBlue?

It's good that I have an alarm when the AdBlue tank gets down to 25%

I really like the stats; they say it reduces diesel emissions by 90%. As mine is a Euro 6 (I was emphatic about it having to be in my spec when I bought the Morelo) I won't suffer from any city restrictions which seem popular right now.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I paid £19.99 for 10 Ltrs on the forecourt of a motorway service station. Is that a good price (although I think I know the answer already)!

And, what happens if you run out of AdBlue? Does the engine stop? Can the engine be damaged without AdBlue?

It's good that I have an alarm when the AdBlue tank gets down to 25%

I really like the stats; they say it reduces diesel emissions by 90%. As mine is a Euro 6 (I was emphatic about it having to be in my spec when I bought the Morelo) I won't suffer from any city restrictions which seem popular right now.
In the MB sprinter, you get warnings as the level gets low, then the engine goes into reduced power with more warnings and finally if no adblue in the tank the engine won’t start.

.....and 10 litres is about £14 in Halfords etc., so you weren’t ripped off more than usual

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Being retired from the haulage business for a few years this is all new to me therefore I was surprised to see an addblue forecourt pump here in Spain while filling our tank.
Separated from the derv pumps on the HGV side there it was 35.6cents a litre.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Cannot understand why Morelo have installed the filling point where they have, it makes it so difficult to fill. Why not an external point, its not as if it does not have enough hatches and filling points already for various other functions. Don't get me started on the windscreen washer tank filling point, impossible to fill without a hose even using a watering can was almost impossible. Best solution was to cut an old mineral water bottle which fits directly into the small filling hole and use it as a funnel.

It's really strange isn't it? This brand seems to think they are so top-end but some of the ways they do things are so out-dated and poorly thought out. I am really surprised the German market/ buyers/ owners stand for it to be honest. Sure, as a motorhome it is wonderful once you understand exactly what you have purchased and accept all the the foibles. I pressure washed my Morelo last Monday after a dirty weekend (weather wise I mean) and this was the result - a Hella front fog light "fish tank"! It's still like this almost a week later! Its just not acceptable!

IMG_6505.jpg

As a Range Rover driver I have been to a number of consultation events where they ask owners what they like about their vehicle and what they think can be improved on new models. I currently have a long list ready for when Morelo ask their owners for ideas on improvements (but I doubt they ever will)!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If they reduced the whole of London to two storey buildings the problem would be solved .......
The wind would blow the pollutants away. :LOL:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Won't be long before it comes out of our diesel pumps pre mixed
Putting Adblue in diesel is a bad idea. Not good for the injectors but they say it should crystallise in the filter and stop the engine.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had a laugh when Adblue arrived. I thought it was 2018 and technology was at a premium . We appear to be travelling way back to the Redex days .

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Here is a photo of the AdBlue that was spilt in my locker; see how the crystals have grown into the carpet lining. What's strange is tat I had used some paper kitchen towel to soak up the spillage on the floor of the locker so this must have been absorbed by the carpet.
IMG_6547.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hope not as it's water based and definitely does not mix well:)

Diesel is burnt in the engine, Adblue is injected into the exhaust.

I hope you were joking.:rolleyes:

If you weren’t, then do a google search for SCR - selective catalytic reduction....... :D

Putting Adblue in diesel is a bad idea. Not good for the injectors but they say it should crystallise in the filter and stop the engine.

Good job my engine doesn't need pig piss then, and it's Euro 6.
How can the Koreans get it right but others can't.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Can someone explain why the vehicle makers are getting away with selling engines so poor they need pee added to run ?
Its not the manufacturers fault that the legislators dont live in the real world
Vehicles are easy,taxable , soft targets.
Worn out central heating boilers are not......

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If adblue is no good try adred it’s a lot cheaper. Haha

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
If they reduced the whole of London to two storey buildings the problem would be solved .......
The wind would blow the pollutants away. :LOL:
But London would then have to spread out to take over all of the Home Counties...:)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I’ll stick with my Euro 5+ engine a bit longer I think...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Adblue is better in every way than the alternative - which is EGR. Anyone who has removed the inlet manifold from a high-mileage engine running EGR won't take any convincing. The inlet manifold, inlet ports, and inlet valves are progressively choked by exhaust products until performance is badly affected. A Mondeo owned by a friend was left with a 25mm passage through the inlet by 150,000 miles. Adblue has no effect on the engine at all. Incidentally the crystals formed by spillage will be water-soluble.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
The smaller engines (seems those below 3L) have the ability to comply with Euro 6 without AdBlue

Here's a useful article on the subject.

WHAT IS ADBLUE?

AdBlue is the registered trademark of the AUS32 urea product (32,5% urea solution) used to reduce the emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) caused by diesel engine exhausts, through a process called Selective Catalytic Reduction (RCA) .

As the name AUS32 (Aqueous Urea Solution) suggests, the product is a solution of high purity urea in demineralised water. Clear, non-toxic and safe to handle. However, it may be corrosive to some metals, and materials suitable for transportation and storage must be used. AdBlue is a registered trademark of the German Automobile Industry Association which ensures compliance with the quality standards according to the specifications set out in ISO 22241.

AdBlue is used by vehicles equipped with RCA technology, in which the product is stored in an exclusive tank. Consumption of AdBlue is equivalent to 3-5% of fuel consumption. This low dosage allows to space the refills and to minimise the impact that produces in the chassis an additional tank.

WILL ALL DIESEL VEHICLES USE ADBLUE NOW?

With some honorable exceptions, it is normal that the more powerful diesel and larger vehicles should have to inexorably resort to this additive.

The ability of a manufacturer to make its diesel engines exceed Euro 6 without the need of this additive will depend on its technology. Using a very quick generalization, we will see how small engines for small passenger cars do not require an AdBlue system and are able to comply the Euro 6 homologation with a physical catalyst – the so-called NOx trap – that synthesize a good part of their emissions. On the other hand, the more powerful diesel and larger vehicles will require the use of an AdBlue system.

Written by Link Removed
[Looking at the name of the author this is a translation]

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Adblue is better in every way than the alternative - which is EGR. Anyone who has removed the inlet manifold from a high-mileage engine running EGR won't take any convincing. The inlet manifold, inlet ports, and inlet valves are progressively choked by exhaust products until performance is badly affected. A Mondeo owned by a friend was left with a 25mm passage through the inlet by 150,000 miles. Adblue has no effect on the engine at all. Incidentally the crystals formed by spillage will be water-soluble.

Many thanks, I'll try that rather than scrubbing at them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back