Adapting for Spanish gas bottles. (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are heading to Spain at the beginning of March, intending to tour for 6 to 8 weeks. We will use a mixture of camp sites and wilding.

Our m/h is fitted with two Calor light bottles (6kg each) which will be full when we start out but we are not expecting them to last the tour.

I have read some threads on using Spanish gas bottles but have not fully understood exactly what we would have to buy and change on the gas system in order to use them.(n)

Can someone please describe, (in numpty detail), exactly what we will need, how to physically adapt the system, and where to buy parts? It’s not something we have done before.

Please don’t go into detail about refillable as that isn’t wanted just now, perhaps in the future.

Thanks, in anticipation.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@vwalan
Thanks for that. Now specific questions.

Do I need to do anything to the bulkhead mounted regulator?

Do I just chang or adapt the cylinder connection? i.e. change the fitting on the cylinder end of the hose.

The items in your link don’t specify which I need.

I said I was a numpty when it comes to this move, even though we have been motorhoming for twenty years. We have never been to Spain so early in the year or for so long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
@vwalan
Thanks for that. Now specific questions.

Do I need to do anything to the bulkhead mounted regulator?

Do I just chang or adapt the cylinder connection? i.e. change the fitting on the cylinder end of the hose.

The items in your link don’t specify which I need.

I said I was a numpty when it comes to this move, even though we have been motorhoming for twenty years. We have never been to Spain so early in the year or for so long.
you leave your reg alone just use the 35mmadaptor for the spanish bottle and the butane to propane adaptor that should do it .
i take it you use a normal propane connector on your pigtail to the reg.

i use bottle top regulators as i set mine up 17 yrs ago before bulkhead regs were around .

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@vwalan
We use propane all the time as we use the m/h in winter quite a lot. We also have the bulkhead mounted adaptor. So we just need to change the cylinder connector if we buy a Spanish propane cylinder?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
@vwalan
We use propane all the time as we use the m/h in winter quite a lot. We also have the bulkhead mounted adaptor. So we just need to change the cylinder connector if we buy a Spanish propane cylinder?
yes . 35mm adaptor and the adaptor from the butane thread to propane then you connect to the two.
can you get a bigger bottle in your gas locker though . that sometimes is the problem for many.
you can get smaller bottles in spain but most atre 12 kg size.
i use cepsa they were giving bottles out for free when the shiny stainless ones came out years ago . so i stayed with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
@vwalan
No.

We have a PVC and 2 x 6 kg is the max.
you may find the smaller bottles not as eaasy to swap ,as in spain so many houses only use the bigger bottles . 12kg . have seen smaller but not as common. cant you get the gas locker made bigger?
i know lots do use 12kg bottles .

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!