Ad Blue - How do you get on with it? (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi All,

Looking at new motorhomes with Fiat chassis and if factory order the new ones are going to come with Ad Blue. So how much of a hassle is it and does it cause any problems like the Dpf's can.

If it is a real pain we could obviously look for one in stock at a dealer with a 2017 chassis without the Ad Blue.

Apparently Fiat held out for as long as poss without fitting Ad Blue and my dealer has said that he had a rush on Chausson Motorhomes last year as people were trying to get them before the new models with Ad Blue.

So was this rush justified or irrational?

Who knew, I thought getting a new Moho would be just a case of picking right layout.

Paul

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I can't see what the problem is other than you need to buy it every few thousand miles. Buy a 10l bottle and fill up just like putting screen wash in. Both the car and van use it, don't have an issue.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Personally I'd stay clear, we have 4 horsebox's with ad blue and all had problems.

Mickey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this may sound daft, but is there a petrol version, don't get me wrong I have had diesel motors all my life and not about to change now, but it seems the way the world is moving.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My merc takes 10 litres and lasts for thousands of miles so it doesn't bother me overmuch, just something to have to do before going off on a long trip.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
So far, the Italian company is the only manufacturer not to use SCR (selective catalytic reduction), and will therefore not require the addition of AdBlue solution.

Instead, Fiat is using an enhanced version of EGR, called Low Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation (LPEGR), which draws exhaust gases downstream of the turbocharger and returns them upstream of the compressor to reduce emissions.?

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thinking about it, the horsebox's are 6 years old and they've had some hammer, so maybe okay for a motorhome.

Mickey.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
So far, the Italian company is the only manufacturer not to use SCR (selective catalytic reduction), and will therefore not require the addition of AdBlue solution.

Instead, Fiat is using an enhanced version of EGR, called Low Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation (LPEGR), which draws exhaust gases downstream of the turbocharger and returns them upstream of the compressor to reduce emissions.?

That's my understanding also.

We're awaiting delivery of a Ducato based van at the moment and it doesn't require Adblue.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
From what the dealer has said, the 2017 Ducato were the last without Ad Blue, the 2018 model year will have Ad Blue and most of the Conversion companies are pretty much out of the 2017 model chassis so any new orders will have the new chassis with Ad Blue.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
My Merc used 10 litres over 3500 miles.
£15 from Halfords. Not a big deal.
Reservoir held 17 litres.
Always carried a spare one.
Check out other threads on adblu

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Personally I'd stay clear, we have 4 horsebox's with ad blue and all had problems.

Mickey.
Totally agree. My neighbour works for a Ford dealer and they're having horrendous trouble with ad blue. Surely we are going back in time to the Redex and 2 stroke days.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
another 20kgs of payload gone then.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have had no problem with AdBlue. Bought the first 10l bottle from Mercedes and a VW filler hose, to make acccess to the filler easier. Have refilled the 10l bottle a couple of times from HGV pumps at half the price. Not sure I will continue to do this because some pumps are now only released by a magnet in the filler, apparently this is to stop Muppets from putting AdBlue in the fuel tank.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had no problem with AdBlue. Bought the first 10l bottle from Mercedes and a VW filler hose, to make acccess to the filler easier. Have refilled the 10l bottle a couple of times from HGV pumps at half the price. Not sure I will continue to do this because some pumps are now only released by a magnet in the filler, apparently this is to stop Muppets from putting AdBlue in the fuel tank.
Plenty "muppets" put wrong fuel in, there's an whole industry getting it out again, so don't see adblu any different.

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
My 2017 Citroen (PAS so same as Peugeot Boxer) engine uses Adblue. I bought a 10 litre container from Halfords for £14 declining the advice to buy a starter pack (cost £12) which has a screw on type filler and 4 litres of adblue . Advice on You Tube seemed to confirm that the supplied filler on the 10 litre container worked better than the 4 litre pack however on trying to top up, the 10 litre filler did not work well causing spillage and being unwieldy because of its size and weight (and no I am not an 8 stone weakling) . So I decided to buy the starter pack after all. I couldn't get one in my local Halfords ("we stopped stocking these months ago") but purchased on web not from Halfords) for slightly more (around £15) The starter pack works well and I will decant the contents from the 10 litre bottle into 4 litre starter bottle. As to payload my van (euro 6) is a direct replacement for the same model which was a Euro 5. However the engine is very different being a 2 litre PAS engine as opposed to a 2.2 litre Ford (Puma) derived engine. The Adblue tank holds 15 litres which weights about 16kg and the tank itself and associated equipment will add further weight however the new engine is physically much smaller and is lighter although it produces slightly more torque and at slightly lower revs so apparently the overall effect is payload neutral. Initial impressions are that the fuel consumption will be slightly lower than the previous engine (around 34mph compare to around 32mph) . Overall therefore the slight inconvenience of buying and filling adblue will be offset by improved fuel consumption and "saving the planet" issues.
I believe that once Adblue becomes common in another year or two Adblue pumps for cars and light commercials will become the norm on filling station forecourts.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thought this was about what you put in your toilet cassette

Does Adblue reduce all types of emissions?

IMG_0723.JPG

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
New Citroen, less than 1k miles, fill AdBlue, none would go in, user error but filler hose too short, go to Citroen dealer, get longer spout, get about 8litres into 15 litre tank, still have dash engine management warning light, and scrolling AdBlue system issue message.
So, not overly impressed so far.
Maybe its just a system reset, maybe a problem which needs to be fixed under warranty... but its a pain.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On my Mercedes the AdBlue gauge only resets after I shut down and restart. This suggests that there is some built in reset procedure, so perhaps this is what is not happening on your Citroen. If it gets to the point where it disables the vehicle I would be tempted to disconnect the battery briefly to see if this triggers it, on the other hand this might also trigger self destruct so perhaps better to ask the dealer.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Haven't done my Renault yet but instructions state that you have to wait for 10 seconds before driving away otherwise the top up will not register for "dozens of minutes of driving".

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hmmm - the handbook doesn't accurately reflect what is being displayed. After 3 nights at Falkirk Wheel, the warning light went out... for 10 miles :rolleyes:.
The handbook warns of ignition shutdowns after 250 miles... and that was 250 miles ago :rolleyes:.
If it doesn't start in the morning, then its down to Citroen Assist/Recovery. If I get it home, then its up to local Citroen dealer to sort it under warranty.
Better get it done before I head to Terry's meet :cool:.

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
i drive new fiat merc and ford vans and trucks. and can honestly say my 1998 fiat 2.5 tdi never goes wrong but these new ones are crap forever warning lights on limp mode and all sorts of other problems.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
From what the dealer has said, the 2017 Ducato were the last without Ad Blue, the 2018 model year will have Ad Blue and most of the Conversion companies are pretty much out of the 2017 model chassis so any new orders will have the new chassis with Ad Blue.
Would like to see the the truth in that statement, why would fiat wish to use add blue, if they don't have too, they seem to think the EGR valve is better' plus would not take the word of a Dealer;)

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
Would like to see the the truth in that statement, why would fiat wish to use add blue, if they don't have too, they seem to think the EGR valve is better' plus would not take the word of a Dealer;)

The Ad-blue setup on the PAS engine is complex and required a re-engineering of the whole exhaust system etc resulting in turn in some re-engineering and repositioning of some habitation elements on the underside of my van.
I don't know the lead time for designing testing and bringing to market a new engine range but I can't imagine it being as short as one year so why would it be logical for Fiat to make a switch to Ad-blue in the Ducato range so early into their Euro 6 engines and if they did would it not be big
news ! Or to put it another way it sounds like "dealerspeak"

As I have remarked before I think in the next 5 years the means of propulsion for cars will move towards electricity and when Euro 7 comes along the engineering challenges to achieve that standard such as it may be combined with improved battery performance and longevity may well provide a boost towards electric cars and this will eventually percolate to light commercials as well.
Large vehicles are already relatively clean and I cant see them being electric in the shorter term.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Euro 6 is being phased in. Perhaps Fiat are having trouble moving from 6a to 6b or 6c without using AdBlue. I suspect we will all eventually have to get used to using it if we want to have new vehicles or drive in cities.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm with the last 3 posts above. This makes interesting reading even if it is a long thread.

Something's in the air, but certainly not immediately as inferred by the dealer. He's just going on hearsay.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I'm with the last 3 posts above. This makes interesting reading even if it is a long thread.

Something's in the air, but certainly not immediately as inferred by the dealer. He's just going on hearsay.
Lets hope so, adblue is just another layer of something to go wrong on top of all the other things.
The proper way to stop pollution would be a household vehicle limit, but nobody in power is going to suggest that.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The proper way to stop pollution would be a household vehicle limit, but nobody in power is going to suggest that.
I'm not sure that works. I think people would do the same mileage and might well be doing it in the wrong type of vehicle. I know of people who use a small vehicle around town and keep a big one for holidays and longer journeys. I certainly wouldn't want to use my motorhome for shopping trips and local journeys but a household vehicle limit might force me to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back