Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seriously doubt that we'll be going abroad anytime soon, if at all, this year so I'll happily wait for the idiotic overcharging vets to get their act together and hopefully realise that they are cutting their own throats as people go elsewhere for the AHC, it may also cost them their core business as owners may also switch vets at the same time if they find the other is less expensive normally.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I seriously doubt that we'll be going abroad anytime soon, if at all, this year so I'll happily wait for the idiotic overcharging vets to get their act together and hopefully realise that they are cutting their own throats as people go elsewhere for the AHC, it may also cost them their core business as owners may also switch vets at the same time if they find the other is less expensive normally.
Because of the pricing at the vets we have been with for years, we changed... and my daughter has also changed ( unbeknown by me.. found out the other day )
So yup, I think the AHC will be bringing this to a head for a lot of folk

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Another vet I’ve just found who lists AHC costs on his website:

St Mary’s Veterinary Surgery, Tamworth

AHC (inc consultation) £90
Each additional pet on same AHC £45

He gets a special mention not for his prices but for his refreshing attitude to the whole AHC rigmarole:

(To think that I once moaned about the bureaucracy of Pet Passports. AHCs have now moved things up to another level.)

As an OV it is my immense privilege to be permitted to complete these mind-numbingly lengthy documents that present a new obstacle to any owners wishing to take their pets to Northern Ireland and the EU.

These notes below will give you a warning of what you might be getting into. Sounds like great news for the (mainland only) UK tourism industry...

https://www.stmarysvets.net/services/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another vet I’ve just found who lists AHC costs on his website:

St Mary’s Veterinary Surgery, Tamworth

AHC (inc consultation) £90
Each additional pet on same AHC £45

He gets a special mention not for his prices but for his refreshing attitude to the whole AHC rigmarole:

(To think that I once moaned about the bureaucracy of Pet Passports. AHCs have now moved things up to another level.)

As an OV it is my immense privilege to be permitted to complete these mind-numbingly lengthy documents that present a new obstacle to any owners wishing to take their pets to Northern Ireland and the EU.

These notes below will give you a warning of what you might be getting into. Sounds like great news for the (mainland only) UK tourism industry...

https://www.stmarysvets.net/services/
IMV they are taking the proverbial ...

You will need to book a 30 minute appointment (longer for multiple animals). The new AHC is a complex and time consuming document. We will need plenty of time to examine your pet, complete and check the documents as well as copy and certify all the other paperwork.
Bearing in mind that most vets will already have all this in their system and even those who don't it won't take 30 minutes!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If the Pet already has a passport and most of us do; then why should it be any different to a quick visit for passport stamp.
particularly if the vet is the pets normal vet .

I would hazzard a guess that a pre filled AHC could be set up for a dog ( lets say ) and the specifics like breed chip data added; job done.

license to print money for vets...

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
IMV they are taking the proverbial ...

You will need to book a 30 minute appointment (longer for multiple animals). The new AHC is a complex and time consuming document. We will need plenty of time to examine your pet, complete and check the documents as well as copy and certify all the other paperwork.
Bearing in mind that most vets will already have all this in their system and even those who don't it won't take 30 minutes!
30 mins is relatively rapid - the first vet I listed in the opening post wanted 45 mins! :rofl:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If the Pet already has a passport and most of us do; then why should it be any different to a quick visit for passport stamp.

I would hazzard a guess that a pre filled AHC could be set up for a dog ( lets say ) and the specifics like breed chip data added; job done.

license to print money for vets...
I would have thought that quite a bit of the form filling could be completed by clerical staff rather than the actual vet.

What really gets me is that the cost for issuing an AHC can be on a par with that of a neutering operation! :RollEyes:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would have thought that quite a bit of the form filling could be completed by clerical staff rather than the actual vet.

What really gets me is that the cost for issuing an AHC can be on a par with that of a neutering operation! :RollEyes:
or a complete new Pet passport useable for years, ( subject to normal vacs etc )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh how I dearly hope that we can legitimately get an EU Pet Passport when we next go abroad, it will make things so much easier, not quite as easy as it was, but anything that stops us being ripped off by UK vets is a good thing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Yes, from what I read in the link provided by Maz's post #46 the forms are not uniquely numbered, this is done by the vet when they complete each one, so there's no reason why a part-filled version can't be kept to download when needed, rather than having to fill them in from scratch each time.

Yes, they could easily do it in advance of the consultation for the vet to sign once he/she has checked the pets. There's no reason at all why the vet should do it and charge accordingly. It's a bit like the Director of a company sorting the post out!

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Back in the day, I changed vets because of Pet Passport charges, and made a point of telling them why I was leaving after many many years. I do hope I don’t have to do that again

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, from what I read in the link provided by Maz's post #46 the forms are not uniquely numbered, this is done by the vet when they complete each one, so there's no reason why a part-filled version can't be kept to download when needed, rather than having to fill them in from scratch each time.

Yes, they could easily do it in advance of the consultation for the vet to sign once he/she has checked the pets. There's no reason at all why the vet should do it and charge accordingly. It's a bit like the Director of a company sorting the post out!
I have read right through the 'instructions'. The Clerk downloads the Country specific form - which costs them nothing, and if the animal is registered with the vet it is -or should be- an easy matter to write in the specifics from their records. All the Vet has to do is give the animal the once over and sign it. A nice little earner!
By the way, if there are any vets on here they are being very quiet...

Apr 8, 2018
East Riding of Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2017
So, from the other side. I have a family member who is a vet. She has had to undergo hours of training in order to be certified to complete the AHC forms. They cannot be completed by a ‘clerk’ as she is completely responsible for the process & it does take time. Should the pet become ill whilst abroad, with any of the notifiable diseases & she had just skipped through & signed it, she would be considered personally responsible - hence vets taking time to ensure this weighty paperwork is completed accurately. It is their job & reputation in the line. I don’t know how much they charge, nor would I ask, until I need to do it - my pets health & safety when driving around in a vehicle worth tens of thousands of £’s is paramount.

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Sounds like Christian Marks in Bernkastle Kues,only €4 when we took our own tablets 👍

Another vote for Dr Marks, we paid five euros, then he said “don’t bother” have it for free! We did take our own tablets!
We have paid 80 euros in Ypres before!
We look forward to our visit to Dr Marks he is as mad a a bucket of frogs and has a superb sense of humour!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
So, from the other side. I have a family member who is a vet. She has had to undergo hours of training in order to be certified to complete the AHC forms. They cannot be completed by a ‘clerk’ as she is completely responsible for the process & it does take time. Should the pet become ill whilst abroad, with any of the notifiable diseases & she had just skipped through & signed it, she would be considered personally responsible - hence vets taking time to ensure this weighty paperwork is completed accurately. It is their job & reputation in the line. I don’t know how much they charge, nor would I ask, until I need to do it - my pets health & safety when driving around in a vehicle worth tens of thousands of £’s is paramount.
May I comment on your points raised.

1. The Clerk completing the form was not mentioned in my post. It is the job of the Vet to scan and sign it.
2. A Veterinary Clerk who 'skips' through the form would not last long in my employ if I was a member of that much lauded profession!
3. Having seen the form, the need for hours of training does make me a little uneasy as to the literacy of a modern Vet...

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
She has had to undergo hours of training in order to be certified to complete the AHC forms
Something wrong here.. Both my old vet and the one I moved to moaned about 'wasting 10 minutes reading the accompanying 'How to do it' PDF', saying there was absolutely nothing unexpected or complicated in completing the form ( I am not quoting verbatim as in the case of the second vet what was actually said involved a lot of effing and blinding !!!! )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's no different to the vet doing the rabies vac though is it? They check the pet is okay first, then do the jab, then do the paperwork and it costs nothing like they are charging for an AHC and that is WITHOUT the cost of the jab. Perhaps you could ask your family member what their costs are going to be and the 'reality' of how long it will take to do. The MOST it should cost is the standard consultation fee IMV.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Another vote for Dr Marks, we paid five euros, then he said “don’t bother” have it for free! We did take our own tablets!
We have paid 80 euros in Ypres before!
We look forward to our visit to Dr Marks he is as mad a a bucket of frogs and has a superb sense of humour!
I love him. Charged me 8 euros for 2 dogs. Had me in stitches when he talked about the French. Well worth a visit. I was going to email him a bit later in the year to ask about the cost of a German pet passport and if he could do it.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I love him. Charged me 8 euros for 2 dogs. Had me in stitches when he talked about the French. Well worth a visit. I was going to email him a bit later in the year to ask about the cost of a German pet passport and if he could do it.
Plus three, both for his service and cost and entertainment value.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Plus three, both for his service and cost and entertainment value.

If anyone is going to issue EU passports to UK dogs it would be him. However, I am still concerned about the acceptance of an EU passport for a UK resident dog, I can easily see the French for example querying it. One of my dogs already has an EU (Greek) passport so I'm doubly concerned.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

Should we be writing to this venerable lady? I certainly will. Try this for size and please comment if you think I have left anything out. I have kept it as short as is possible...

Dear Ms Middlemiss.
I would welcome your views on the use and costs of the Animal Health Certificate and the apparent need for a further examination and certification before returning to the UK.
This allegedly complex certificate is issued by a UK OV and is valid for four months. It is accepted during that period as proof of good health in any Country within the EU. However, is not deemed adequate for this purpose on my return, even though I may have been out of the country for just two weeks. This flies in the face of common sense. Perhaps a change of policy is in the offing? I do hope so.

I am also concerned about the cost of the AHC. I am a member of one of the largest motorhome forums in the UK, and we have been comparing quotations. St Anne’s Veterinary Group, Eastbourne holds the record so far for the most expensive AHC at £136.06 for the first animal plus £91.43 for each subsequent animal on the same AHC. The lowest seen so far is £54 plus consultation.
I look forward your comments.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
great idea.
I think its a great point that an AHC is accepted by the EU but only where it was issued ( UK ) if supplemented by additional treatment / scrutiny.

possibly remove the actual names of the vet practices ,

I would guess a reply from a junior would say its the EU not us!!!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
great idea.
I think its a great point that an AHC is accepted by the EU but only where it was issued ( UK ) if supplemented by additional treatment / scrutiny.

possibly remove the actual names of the vet practices ,

I would guess a reply from a junior would say its the EU not us!!!
I'll take out the practice name, but I'm going to copy it to the Minister, to be sure, to be sure...

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I don’t see why certain sections of the AHC cannot be completed by clerical staff, or ‘practice support staff’ if you prefer that term. They were able to complete Sections I, II and III of the Pet Passports - those that refer to Owner Details, Description of Animal and Marking of Animal.

It’s nice for you that you don’t have to worry about vet charges. Please do not assume that everyone ‘driving around in a vehicle worth tens of thousands of £s’ is in the same enviable position.

PS Does your ‘family member‘ do special rates for Funsters? :wink:

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Does anyone know the situation with cats now? I guess they need the same as dogs on the way out, but under the pet passport scheme they didn't need any checks to return to the UK.

Thanks for the recommendation for Mr Marks, details saved in my phone 👍

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Should we be writing to this venerable lady? I certainly will. Try this for size and please comment if you think I have left anything out. I have kept it as short as is possible...

Dear Ms Middlemiss.
I would welcome your views on the use and costs of the Animal Health Certificate and the apparent need for a further examination and certification before returning to the UK.
This allegedly complex certificate is issued by a UK OV and is valid for four months. It is accepted during that period as proof of good health in any Country within the EU. However, is not deemed adequate for this purpose on my return, even though I may have been out of the country for just two weeks. This flies in the face of common sense. Perhaps a change of policy is in the offing? I do hope so.

I am also concerned about the cost of the AHC. I am a member of one of the largest motorhome forums in the UK, and we have been comparing quotations. St Anne’s Veterinary Group, Eastbourne holds the record so far for the most expensive AHC at £136.06 for the first animal plus £91.43 for each subsequent animal on the same AHC. The lowest seen so far is £54 plus consultation.
I look forward your comments.
I like the idea of highlighting the cost of AHCs and Ms Middlemiss seems as good a person as any to write to. (y)

I’m a bit confused tho’ as to protesting about the need for a ‘further examination and certification before returning to the UK’. This presumably refers to the worming requirement - but that has always been necessary with Pet Passports. I don’t have an issue with that (altho’ it’s a bit of a pain) as it seems mainland Europe has different types of tapeworms to the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back