Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Do you think it’s worth telling the Vets professional body vets are pricing themselves out of future income because we are all going to get an EU passport?

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I emailed my vet here ( Tavira, Portugal) today a hypothetical question about issuing a new EU passport to a UK pet brought to Portugal by "my friend".. Here is their reply:

When your friend arrives she has to bring the dog to see the vet and we will issue a portuguese passaport and we copy the dog's vaccination record from the UK passport

Its 20€ for the new passport.

Best regards

Sylvia Olivera

So it seems this is the solution. 👍😁

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
it sounds like the EU issued passport is best option. Looking forward to hearing if any French Vet is as accommodating as the Portuguese one seems,
tk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
it sounds like the EU issued passport is best option. Looking forward to hearing if any French Vet is as accommodating as the Portuguese one seems,
tk
They will be. No reason not to be that I can think of. As said previously, the passport is merely a document certifying the animal has the correct jabs and is not diseased. Nobody cares where it lives, or where its come from ir anything else, purely health.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Do you think it’s worth telling the Vets professional body vets are pricing themselves out of future income because we are all going to get an EU passport?

that may be an idea, but would it prompt their Professional body to lobby the Gov to close the option of an EU passport.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Further to my previous post, the vet consultation fee here is €27, but even if they added that to the cost of the new passport, making a total of €47, it's still cheaper than paying for an AHC every time you travel, I would think.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
As a ( nearly completely retired) vet, let me assure you most vets and vet practices will not be bothered in the slightest if they never have to do an AHC again. The profession as a whole was very disappointed that we weren't on the list that allowed us to continue issuing Pet Passports. We'd got used to dealing with them - a bit fiddly to fill out with the oversticker nonsense, but relatively straight forward. The AHCs are an administrative nightmare, and, although not difficult to fill out, are completely different from pet passports, with lots of things to cross out, initial, countersign, stamp -a lot more potential to get it wrong. We found out what was happening same time as you - December. The instructions for how we should complete them have been updated (i.e. changed) at least twice since the New Year. Nobody wants to do them. For most vets and practices they will represent both a very small number AHCs in a year and a tiny proportion of practice income - far more bother than they're worth. One reason some practices will be quoting high prices will be to encourage people to get it done elsewhere. Because if we get it wrong, all we get is grief from owners, from Defra and possibly from our regulator for false certification.
If it continues, I'm sure this will settle down, vets will become familiar with the forms, we'll get to know what's accepted and it will become part of the routine. Prices will eventually reflect that. There may be some push to get back to pet passports issued from the UK. I don't think vets will be worried at all if UK dogs come back from Europe with shiny new EU passports - after all there's no need for us to know. And no one will be pushing for the practice to be stopped - there are far more pressing issues for the profession to tackle.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As a ( nearly completely retired) vet, let me assure you most vets and vet practices will not be bothered in the slightest if they never have to do an AHC again. The profession as a whole was very disappointed that we weren't on the list that allowed us to continue issuing Pet Passports. We'd got used to dealing with them - a bit fiddly to fill out with the oversticker nonsense, but relatively straight forward. The AHCs are an administrative nightmare, and, although not difficult to fill out, are completely different from pet passports, with lots of things to cross out, initial, countersign, stamp -a lot more potential to get it wrong. We found out what was happening same time as you - December. The instructions for how we should complete them have been updated (i.e. changed) at least twice since the New Year. Nobody wants to do them. For most vets and practices they will represent both a very small number AHCs in a year and a tiny proportion of practice income - far more bother than they're worth. One reason some practices will be quoting high prices will be to encourage people to get it done elsewhere. Because if we get it wrong, all we get is grief from owners, from Defra and possibly from our regulator for false certification.
If it continues, I'm sure this will settle down, vets will become familiar with the forms, we'll get to know what's accepted and it will become part of the routine. Prices will eventually reflect that. There may be some push to get back to pet passports issued from the UK. I don't think vets will be worried at all if UK dogs come back from Europe with shiny new EU passports - after all there's no need for us to know. And no one will be pushing for the practice to be stopped - there are far more pressing issues for the profession to tackle.
Hi and thank you for your very informative post. I remember welcoming you to Fun a while back - really glad that you have decided to take out a subscription so you can continue posting. (y)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The only potential downside for UK vets that I can see is the loss of potential vaccination income. I foe one would prefer to keep my dogs’ vaccination records together, which entails an EU vet making entries in an EU passport

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
There will be some who keep all the vaccines records together, my experience would suggest its a minority.
As an aside, vets in the UK are used to seeing EU issued pets passports - either from dogs that have come from Europe with their owners to stay for some time - from what I've seen mostly Eastern European workers, and rescue dogs from Romania etc. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Hi and thank you for your very informative post. I remember welcoming you to Fun a while back - really glad that you have decided to take out a subscription so you can continue posting. (y)
Many thanks

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
What health issues could a dog have if say you had the rabies jab a month before going away then got an EU passport and had to have another rabies jab about 3 weeks after to come home?
Don’t think I will be having an EU passport if the pups have to have a rabies jab so soon after the UK one.
Apparently there is a high risk of tumours around the injection area☹️

Living and Management​

Do not over-vaccinate your dog. Vaccinate for rabies and other diseases no more frequently than every three years, unless it has been specifically been advised by your veterinarian.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Don’t think I will be having an EU passport if the pups have to have a rabies jab so soon after the UK one.
Apparently there is a high risk of tumours around the injection area☹️

Can the Eu vet not transfer the rabies vaccine details from the AHC? It will have been signed by a UK vet and thus should be transferable, I'd have thought. ( but I'm not au fait with the rules, which may well vary from country to country)
As for the risk of tumours, I'd not put it as high, and as I understand it its more common in cats than dogs. The issue is muddied by the fact that the area where vaccines are generally administered ( between the shoulderblades) is a common site for this type of tumour to appear in cats in particular even if they have never been vaccinated at all. So there are studies out there which show some association with certain types of vaccine, some which show none or are equivocal. (But I'm not an expert in this area - and I'm not saying there's no risk, and yes, keep the number of vaccines down if possible). If I had to, I wouldn't be too bothered if my own dog had to get 2 rabies vaccines within a couple of months. I'd just make sure they weren't administered at the same site, because its the site of the vaccine which is associated with the tumour. Vaccines can be administered anywhere subcutaneously, for example the outer thigh is another site that can be used.
However if a rabies vaccine was required for an AHC, another approach might be to get the vaccine and the AHC or AHCs as required for this year, AHC for first trip abroad next year then Pets Passport in Europe at what could be more than a year after the previous one.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Can the Eu vet not transfer the rabies vaccine details from the AHC? It will have been signed by a UK vet and thus should be transferable, I'd have thought. ( but I'm not au fait with the rules, which may well vary from country to country)
As for the risk of tumours, I'd not put it as high, and as I understand it its more common in cats than dogs. The issue is muddied by the fact that the area where vaccines are generally administered ( between the shoulderblades) is a common site for this type of tumour to appear in cats in particular even if they have never been vaccinated at all. So there are studies out there which show some association with certain types of vaccine, some which show none or are equivocal. (But I'm not an expert in this area - and I'm not saying there's no risk, and yes, keep the number of vaccines down if possible). If I had to, I wouldn't be too bothered if my own dog had to get 2 rabies vaccines within a couple of months. I'd just make sure they weren't administered at the same site, because its the site of the vaccine which is associated with the tumour. Vaccines can be administered anywhere subcutaneously, for example the outer thigh is another site that can be used.
However if a rabies vaccine was required for an AHC, another approach might be to get the vaccine and the AHC or AHCs as required for this year, AHC for first trip abroad next year then Pets Passport in Europe at what could be more than a year after the previous one.
Going by what a lot have read it seems a lot of vets want to give another rabies jab when they issue an EU passport☹️
My 2 Jacks are 13 now so don’t want to risk a chance of any side affects.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Aireworth thank you so much for that. My dog’s passport lapsed after my husband died and I gave up the motorhome. I have now bought another one and want to take the dog with me to visit close family in Donegal, Ireland. We used to do this very frequently. I have been quite horrified to learn that I now need an AHC and even a worming certificate just to go over there! I had thought of using an AHC this summer after a UK rabies jab and then an EU passport the next time, even though that means a second AHC. In the meantime we must all hope that sanity eventually prevails.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Aireworth thank you so much for that. My dog’s passport lapsed after my husband died and I gave up the motorhome. I have now bought another one and want to take the dog with me to visit close family in Donegal, Ireland. We used to do this very frequently. I have been quite horrified to learn that I now need an AHC and even a worming certificate just to go over there! I had thought of using an AHC this summer after a UK rabies jab and then an EU passport the next time, even though that means a second AHC. In the meantime we must all hope that sanity eventually prevails.

There are lots of arguments going on at the minute in Ireland and Northern Ireland about the new rules. I believe they are not policing them at the moment.

Also I got a quote from Carn Vets in Carndonagh Co Donegal for €20 for the pet passport. I didn't enquire about rabies as mine have them.

Sonja

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I think the thing to do is to email a couple of vets in the country where you’d like to obtain an EU Pet Passport and ask whether they require an additional rabies vaccination or not.

If enough of us do this we could end up with a useful list of vets across the EU. Obviously we don’t all want to pester the same vets, so maybe we could come up with some sort of ‘Project List’ from which we each undertake to research a particular area. Any thoughts?

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I think its a brilliant idea. We could also do the same in this country. So we would then gave a definate in writing quote rather than a verbal one.

Reactions: maz
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I did suggest this previously for the popular vet at La Mailleraye, but to avoid misunderstandings it would be better done by somebody reasonably fluent in the language of the country. I asked the question prior to 01/01/21 via Google translate, but unfortunately didn’t get a reply.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I did suggest this previously for the popular vet at La Mailleraye, but to avoid misunderstandings it would be better done by somebody reasonably fluent in the language of the country. I asked the question prior to 01/01/21 via Google translate, but unfortunately didn’t get a reply.
I think we can probably get away with just looking for vets that speak English - maybe by checking out their Google reviews for a mention of this fact. France is probably the country least likely to appreciate an initial approach in English, but maybe try starting an email with the French for ’I’m sorry that I don’t speak French’ before lapsing back into English? Gods help us if we have to rely on my schoolgirl French. :rofl:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I’m thinking of putting together a ‘Project List’ of regions in various countries in a separate thread. Something along the lines of:

France
1. Normandy
2. Brittany
3. Loire Valley
etc

Belgium
1. Flanders
2. Hainaut
etc

Germany
1. Baden-Wurttemburg
2. Bavaria
etc

Each Funster then chooses a region to research for vets - and posts which region they have chosen. That way we should avoid duplication of efforts.

Do you think that might work? :unsure:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe that there is still a list of vets somewhere in the references of the forum. Put together some time ago by a member.
It included contact details and if they spoke English.
Don't know if I still have a copy but I will have a look and check back.

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I believe that there is still a list of vets somewhere in the references of the forum. Put together some time ago by a member.
It included contact details and if they spoke English.
Don't know if I still have a copy but I will have a look and check back.
Great! That will be a good starting point. (y)

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Could yodeli Frankie helps us with a French version of an email to send. I can ask my family in Holland to either enquire for me or to give me a properly written email.

Sonja

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The first page is all France,

the listing is alphabetical by TOWN

hope this helps
vets 1.jpeg
vets 2.jpeg

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i cant do anything with it for a couple hours i need to be doing something else but will check in later.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Ah Red Sonja, Carndonagh, I know it well, my family are in Tullagh! Have you ascertained that they will use the uk rabies jab on the EU passport? That would remove the issue of multiple jabs. The only issue then would be the ridiculous worming on entering NI.
Thanks
Jenny

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
Keith Davies still has a Google maps of recommended vets in Europe which is regularly updated,can’t seem to find a link to it.

I use “Pages Jaune “ and put Vétérinaire in the search box.

With regards to La Mailleraye vet I have used them for years and they used to have a receptionist that was very helpful and spoke good English.Last time I was there was September 2019.Valérie is there now who features on their website and is classed as a Veterinary Assistant.She doesn’t speak any English at all ! I speak reasonable French but wouldn’t say I was fluent.However I did manage a verbal punch up with her when I discovered that they had given Daisy a rabies injection by mistake ! For the previous 3 or 4 years I had been having my cocker spaniel’s annual vaccinations done at the same time as the Worming treatment for returning to UK. Instead of checking Daisy’s records they did a relatively new combination vaccine which included Rabies. I was there on a Friday evening just before they closed and only found out after returning to my van.I always check that the details are correct on the relevant pages for the Drontal treatment.When I found the entry on the Rabies page I was really concerned as it was not entered correctly. There was just the Vet’s signature,no name of where it was done,no phone number and no lamination sticker ! Fortunately they were open next morning and Valerie was extremely apologetic and repeatedly said in French what do you want me to do ?
She was going to use their large stamp of the practice details and I told her to put that in the “poubelle” as it wouldn’t fit in the box ! She then used the smaller stamp which didn’t work properly and wrote in the phone number by hand.I then showed her where the laminated stickers were. It was a one year vaccine and when I checked in at the Port Office in Dieppe they said oh you have had the rabies done 2 months early but it is all fine.
07BE37E4-BF70-4B21-9D2C-C6CC2D241EC3.jpeg
C2D97D79-BE7E-4602-B8DE-E9AF19F143EC.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back