Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
You are correct I e mailed DEFRA back in 2015 about this as the section in my dogs passport was full and the vet at the time wanted £70 for a new one. The reply is below. I printed a few forms off with the wording that defra suggested below but was never asked for it when travelling on either ferry or tunnel.

RE: clinical examination

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that whilst the entry for clinical examination is not required to be completed for the movement of dogs and cats to other EU countries, some transport companies may still require owners to produce evidence of an animal’s fitness to travel.

Veterinarians may, therefore, complete the ‘Clinical Examination’ section of the passport if they wish to do so and if it is possible. Alternatively, the following statement could be used as a guide by vets if issuing a letter to a client regarding an animal`s fitness to travel, should it be needed -

“On (enter date), I examined the animal described in UK pet passport serial no (enter number) and found it to be free from clinical sign of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit for travel”.

Please be advised that additional pages may not be attached to the EU pet passport. If an essential section has become filled, (rabies vaccinations or tapeworm treatment), you will need to obtain a re-issue passport. Re-issue passports, like the originals, should be obtained from your vet.

For further information on how to prepare a pet for export to the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), including listed countries, documentary requirements and approved routes and carriers, please see the link below:
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners

Kind regards,

Michelle Allison
Imports Team
Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

Telephone: 03702 411710 Option 1 | Email: Pettravel@apha.gsi.gov.uk | Fax: 01228 591900Website: www.gov.uk/apha | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: aphagov

Address: Centre for International Trade, Hadrian House, Wavell Drive, Rosehill, Carlisle, CA1 2TB

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You are correct I e mailed DEFRA back in 2015 about this as the section in my dogs passport was full and the vet at the time wanted £70 for a new one. The reply is below. I printed a few forms off with the wording that defra suggested below but was never asked for it when travelling on either ferry or tunnel.

RE: clinical examination

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that whilst the entry for clinical examination is not required to be completed for the movement of dogs and cats to other EU countries, some transport companies may still require owners to produce evidence of an animal’s fitness to travel.

Veterinarians may, therefore, complete the ‘Clinical Examination’ section of the passport if they wish to do so and if it is possible. Alternatively, the following statement could be used as a guide by vets if issuing a letter to a client regarding an animal`s fitness to travel, should it be needed -

“On (enter date), I examined the animal described in UK pet passport serial no (enter number) and found it to be free from clinical sign of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit for travel”.

Please be advised that additional pages may not be attached to the EU pet passport. If an essential section has become filled, (rabies vaccinations or tapeworm treatment), you will need to obtain a re-issue passport. Re-issue passports, like the originals, should be obtained from your vet.

For further information on how to prepare a pet for export to the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), including listed countries, documentary requirements and approved routes and carriers, please see the link below:
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners

Kind regards,

Michelle Allison
Imports Team
Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

Telephone: 03702 411710 Option 1 | Email: Pettravel@apha.gsi.gov.uk | Fax: 01228 591900Website: www.gov.uk/apha | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: aphagov

Address: Centre for International Trade, Hadrian House, Wavell Drive, Rosehill, Carlisle, CA1 2TB
Yes, the first two paragraphs of that email are lifted straight from the APHA booklet ‘How to complete pet passports’:

23CC05E0-3469-4CF3-B28F-AD9B70438C19.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Thanks for that, Malcolm. (y)

Unfortunately, after your post the thread descended into bickering and/or politics - those involved, please do not hijack this thread. Thank you.
My sincere apologies Maz and others for getting carried away and hijacking your post, it won't happen again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
At the risk of stirring things further, which is not my intention, I was told that the 'Fitness to Travel' section of a Pet Passport was only for 'shipped' animals, e.g crated for air travel. It was/is not required for animals travelling accompanied by their owners. The subject arose because that section is one of the smallest, and consequently fills up first. So in the case discussed earlier, it needn't have been signed at all.
DISCLAIMER I have no documentary proof of this.. Eurotunnel agreed verbally that this was the case, but declined to put it in writing.
Yet another example of poorly worded and ambiguous regulations regarding pet travel.
I actually had to go & look in Alf's passport to see what everyone was talking about. I didn't even know those pages existed as mine are pristine & have never been touched. :giggle:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Good find maz You've really got the bit between your teeth :giggle:. A little bit nervous about the line 'pets returning to the EU' although that should cover all except first time visitors who would need an AHC anyway.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Good find maz You've really got the bit between your teeth :giggle:. A little bit nervous about the line 'pets returning to the EU' although that should cover all except first time visitors who would need an AHC anyway.
The ‘returning’ bit is because an EU Pet Passport can only be issued in the EU, therefore you have to have already entered the EU to get one. Hence when using one you will always be ‘returning‘ to the EU. Americans, Australians etc will have always needed an AHC to enter the EU for the first time, as now do Brits.

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
The day just got better ! ! Had my first Covid vaccination.Then decided to ring my vet back as they had not come up with a figure for the AHC.Alphapet said provisionally £125 + consultation fee !
Spoke to a small independent vet practice a few miles away but still in Chichester and a definite £65 inc. consultation.Yippee I will be going away when we are allowed. They were completely on top of the procedure needed.
PRIORS LEAZE Vets,Nutbourne,Chichester !! Coastal Cruiser should be interested in this.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Spoke to a small independent vet practice a few miles away but still in Chichester and a definite £65 inc. consultation.Yippee I will be going away when we are allowed. They were completely on top of the procedure needed.
PRIORS LEAZE Vets,Nutbourne,Chichester !! Coastal Cruiser should be interested in this.
That’s great - the best price so far in southern England. (y)

A link to their website is here . I see they also have a practice at Rowland’s Castle. I would imagine they would charge the same for an AHC there - worth checking anyway for those nearer to Portsmouth.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
That’s great - the best price so far in southern England. (y)

A link to their website is here . I see they also have a practice at Rowland’s Castle. I would imagine they would charge the same for an AHC there - worth checking anyway for those nearer to Portsmouth.
Our vet reckons about £60 but admits he hasn’t really looked into it. Was getting ready to do one for some show chickens going to NI.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Recap - the good guys so far

For the purposes of this thread, I am regarding £75 as the upper limit for an AHC. Still a lot of money for what you get but reasonable compared to so many others.

1. Paul Jarman Veterinary Surgeries, Norfolk. £50

https://www.jarmanvets.co.uk/

2. Ruddington Vets, Nottinghamshire. £54

https://ruddingtonvets.co.uk/

3. Priors Leaze Vets, West Sussex. £65

https://www.priorsleazevets.co.uk/

4. Andre Cirone of Pets Abroad UK, Surrey. £75

https://petsabroaduk.co.uk/contact-us/

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Well I'm keeping my eye on this lot

Not got a dog - - - -yet looking for a rescue one but Lockdown is getting in the way big style

SO if you know of a medium dog 3-4years old plus for rehoming near Chesterfield let me know guys and Gals

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
The day just got better ! ! Had my first Covid vaccination.Then decided to ring my vet back as they had not come up with a figure for the AHC.Alphapet said provisionally £125 + consultation fee !
Thanks for that. I think they will be having my business.

Sonja

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Just added on another thread but then found this one!....

I have just been to our vets as our Rabies booster was due and in case of any future changes I didn’t want to invalid the titre test we got but don’t need!!

I took our pet passport and asked if it was worth getting it stamped in case things change. The vet was great and said YES it’s worth doing as it’s a handy document with all the details she may need for the AHC. So she stamped it as usual.

she stated that she hopes to only charge around £30 for the new form but won’t really know until she does her first one. She is hoping to be organised with them and keep details on file!! Sounds like she will be one of the cheaper vets!!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
she stated that she hopes to only charge around £30 for the new form but won’t really know until she does her first one. She is hoping to be organised with them and keep details on file!! Sounds like she will be one of the cheaper vets!!
Excellent! Please can we have the name and address of this vet? :Smile:

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Excellent! Please can we have the name and address of this vet? :Smile:
Not sure if it will just be for her own clients as she mentioned keeping a file for those that travel frequently and that some of it will be pre done for those she knows! It’s in
Darlington

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not sure if it will just be for her own clients as she mentioned keeping a file for those that travel frequently and that some of it will be pre done for those she knows! It’s in
Darlington
If she keeps her price at £30 for an AHC she might well have a steady influx of new clients who will then stay with her for all services.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
If she keeps her price at £30 for an AHC she might well have a steady influx of new clients who will then stay with her for all services.
Rabies booster and working tablet was only £30! Although she only marks the booster for 2 years but that as she thinks it offers the most protection! Used her for 20 years!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Rabies booster and working tablet was only £30! Although she only marks the booster for 2 years but that as she thinks it offers the most protection! Used her for 20 years!
Excellent price again but for me the 2-year booster duration would put me off. The manufacturers of the rabies vaccines used in the UK have their vaccines licensed for 3 years duration of immunity - and that is a minimum duration.

I don’t know if you are aware of EU-issued Pet Passports as a workaround for repeat AHCs? There are mentions of it in this thread - but this thread is now on a par with ‘War and Peace’ so takes some time to trawl through. The original thread on the subject is Could this be a workaround .... but that has also grown to a good few pages.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just had a phone call from one of our local vets in Uttoxeter in response to my enquiry about the AHC cost. They're charging £120 for first dog and £75 for second and subsequent.

• Informative
Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just had a phone call from one of our local vets in Uttoxeter in response to my enquiry about the AHC cost. They're charging £120 for first dog and £75 for second and subsequent.
They can go into the Hall of Shame too then - it’s getting quite crowded in there! :RollEyes:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I have just been to the vet to get my dogs stitches out. The price quoted me today was £120 plus £70 for each other dog added.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have just been to the vet to get my dogs stitches out. The price quoted me today was £120 plus £70 for each other dog added.
Did you tell them where to stick it ... along with the scalpel!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back