Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
It was a direct response to your initial question. So no you don't need another rabies vaccination if the current rabies vaccination is in date, provided you have sufficient adequate proof of the details and the date of the vaccination to satisfy the vet providing the second and subsequent AHCs.
Thank you for responding

Jun 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Now that vets are beginning to announce their charges for issuing Animal Health Certificates, I thought it would be interesting to start doing a little online research. Most vets’ websites I’ve found are remarkably coy about what they intend to charge for an AHC, even those vets who happily list their prices for a range of other services.

Two vets whose websites do include prices for AHCs are worth commenting on:

1. Mansion Hill Vets, nr Banbury

They reckon that it will take them 45 minutes to complete an AHC, for which their charge is £124.

https://www.mansionhillvets.co.uk/2020/12/16/travel-to-the-eu-after-brexit/

2. St Anne’s Veterinary Group, Eastbourne

Hold the record so far for most expensive AHC at £136.06 for the first animal plus £91.43 for each subsequent animal on the same AHC.

https://stannesvets.co.uk/current-pricelist.html

In various other threads, a couple of Funsters have mentioned what their local vets propose to charge:

Jaws in Norfolk £50

weekenders in Leicestershire £54

Can I ask for the names and addresses (or websites) of these vets, please. :Smile:

If anyone else has details of or links to other vets with known charges for AHCs, please post them in this thread. It could become a useful resource for many pet owners. Thank you. (y)
Goddards vet group in Essex charge £244 for one AHC.

• Informative
Reactions: maz
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Two years ago my vet told me it was a 10 page document, true but every entry was simply cut and pasted.
The last 5 pages were photocopies of the pages from the then defunct UK Pet Passport, He had no response to my query as to why this was relevant and why was I paying so much for an unqualified clerical assistant to perform the task.
It was PetsforUs, charge from memory was £220.
This year I used Abbeywell Vets in Folkestone, £99.00, all done on line, on pick up, I just had to read microchip for them.
Never again, the dog now has an EU Pet Passport from Bruges, €70 including 3 year rabies jab.
Vets taking the opportunity to rip us off and to add insult to injury it only lasts 4 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
£260 at Kingston Veterinary Practice in Hull at the end of April, there are 6 across the area, though you can only get it done at the central one.
There needs to be a set charge, like an MOT.
A friend who lives in Sleaford, Lincolnshire only paid £120 at their local vets.
For what they did which amounts to a standard checkup and a form to be completed around £50-£70 would be fair.
My Motorhome was MOT’d last week for £50, far more work
/time than the five minute check over our dog had.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Never again, the dog now has an EU Pet Passport from Bruges, €70 including 3 year rabies jab.
Vets taking the opportunity to rip us off and to add insult to injury it only lasts 4 months.
Which vet in Bruges? Did you come back to UK using it? Or use the AHC?

Have an appt in Bruges tomorrow afternoon..... 😉

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Which vet in Bruges? Did you come back to UK using it? Or use the AHC?

Have an appt in Bruges tomorrow afternoon..... 😉
The vet was Lieve, her e mail address lieve@dierenartsderycke.be.
Really nice lady, speaks excellent English, I mentioned Motorhomefun as the source, she has done loads of pet passports for us Brits.
Plenty of parking outside her practice, it’s in a residential area but very close to Bruges town centre, previously I walked from Lidl car park.
Deliberately only used the pet passport on our return kept the AHC as a fallback just in case but was not asked for it!
Pet Passport done in March, worming for return done about 3 weeks ago, appointment booked by e mail whilst travelling back through Europe when I knew I’d get there, just had to wait the 24 hours for the tunnel the next day.
I surprised myself because it all went so smoothly. Now we can just leave for Europe without having to b….r about getting the vet to sort out the AHC and we won’t get ripped off either.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I used a different Belgian vet, but similar experience and cost. Please note that they are unlikely to transfer across the previous rabies info onto the passport, but will want to give Fido a new shot. If so, when you produce the passport at the border, you'll be told you can't enter UK until three weeks have passed. At which point you produce the AHC to show that the jab on the passport was a booster, not an initial dose...

Jun 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
The vet was Lieve, her e mail address lieve@dierenartsderycke.be.
Really nice lady, speaks excellent English, I mentioned Motorhomefun as the source, she has done loads of pet passports for us Brits.
Plenty of parking outside her practice, it’s in a residential area but very close to Bruges town centre, previously I walked from Lidl car park.
Deliberately only used the pet passport on our return kept the AHC as a fallback just in case but was not asked for it!
Pet Passport done in March, worming for return done about 3 weeks ago, appointment booked by e mail whilst travelling back through Europe when I knew I’d get there, just had to wait the 24 hours for the tunnel the next day.
I surprised myself because it all went so smoothly. Now we can just leave for Europe without having to b….r about getting the vet to sort out the AHC and we won’t get ripped off either.
Did you get the passport and the rabies jab done on the same appointment?

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Did you get the passport and the rabies jab done on the same appointment?
Yes I did, the existing rabies jab expires in August so I figured it was easier for the vet issuing the passport to do another jab. I think I’d read somewhere that some vets would only do the passport if they inoculate, don’t know if that’s true.
Having said that she did enter the previous rabies jab information on the passport as well as the new one, presumably to prove continuity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back