LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A question for @Lenny HB or anybody else who can advise.

I've got an unlocked 4g mi-fi which I normally use with a '3' payg 12GB 12-month data sim. But when abroad, it's restricted and throttled back to 3g. However, it is all very simple to get it working - buy sim - insert in mifi - surf internet! :)

I saw Lenny talking about the benefits of the EE 6GB sim that lasts for 90 days, so bought one for £14.49 on eBay as recommended. https://tinyurl.com/y8bojhko

It just arrived with some slightly complicated 'activation' instructions, including the requirement to go on the EE website using the sim. But is that using the mi-fi, and if so how does the navigation work?? Or, does the sim have to be put into a phone - for example - to get it activated - and then returned to the mi-fi??

2nd question - does the sim have to be activated whilst in the UK, or can it be left until abroad eg in Spain?

Any advice about activation appreciated. I'm hanging back from the trial & error approach as I'm not quite ready to start the 90-day clock ticking just yet. Thanks! (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can put it in your Mifi, connect to it then open a browser should come up with an EE page with a button "Register" just click on it and fill in your details and click activate. Warning the site is not very user friendly. Alternative is to go here and set up an account then activate it, you need the sim phone number this way, it's on the barcode label. I think I did both.
We are off on Saturday keep thinking about utting a new one in when away to see if its OK should be as you only log on the web to activate it but as I only have 300mb left on the one I'm using at the moment I may not risk it. On the other hand I've got plenty of data on my phone and will probably get a Nos sim in portugal decisions, decisions.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
When abroad "three" does not allow 4G so even if there is a 4G station which is "in range" Three will downgrade it to 3G - I checked this with our local Three shop and they confirmed it - also confirmed that when abroad your monthly data only allowance is limited to 12Gig even if you have paid for more!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When abroad "three" does not allow 4G so even if there is a 4G station which is "in range" Three will downgrade it to 3G - I checked this with our local Three shop and they confirmed it - also confirmed that when abroad your monthly data only allowance is limited to 12Gig even if you have paid for more!!
And often the upload speeds are diabolical that's why I have given up with them.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You can put it in your Mifi, connect to it then open a browser should come up with an EE page with a button "Register" just click on it and fill in your details and click activate. Warning the site is not very user friendly. Alternative is to go here and set up an account then activate it, you need the sim phone number this way, it's on the barcode label. I think I did both.
We are off on Saturday keep thinking about utting a new one in when away to see if its OK should be as you only log on the web to activate it but as I only have 300mb left on the one I'm using at the moment I may not risk it. On the other hand I've got plenty of data on my phone and will probably get a Nos sim in portugal decisions, decisions.
Many thanks Lenny - that's really helpful! (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@mikebeaches Just activated my spare one, you don't need to register, when the activate page comes up just click on Activate and ignore the registration button.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi ,i have also been looking at the EE 6gb sim to take to Spain with me .
I am going for 5 month and can use my phone data for the first 10 weeks ( 2 month and then 2 week notice period)
Then i need another sim.I have a Huawei mi-fi box and a 3 12gb sim.I was looking at buying the EE sim to give flexibility of coverage.( and it would be used in the third month of my trip)
But just a note for info. I contacted the seller to check and this sim(from the link in the first post ,ebmobilephones)

Must be activated in the UK, so be aware if you take one away with you,you might not get it to work if you did not activate it in the UK.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers Cris.:cheers:.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi ,i have also been looking at the EE 6gb sim to take to Spain with me .
I am going for 5 month and can use my phone data for the first 10 weeks ( 2 month and then 2 week notice period)
Then i need another sim.I have a Huawei mi-fi box and a 3 12gb sim.I was looking at buying the EE sim to give flexibility of coverage.( and it would be used in the third month of my trip)
But just a note for info. I contacted the seller to check and this sim(from the link in the first post ,ebmobilephones)

Must be activated in the UK, so be aware if you take one away with you,you might not get it to work if you did not activate it in the UK.

Hope this is of some use.

Doesn't mention it on my sellers site or on the EE site. If it is a problem you could activate by using a VPN to connect to the EE site creating an account and activate it using the phone number, hopefully that would work.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
ject: Re: Details about the item: crisnmand7 sent a message about EE PAYG 4G Data Sim Preloaded With 6GB Data #262825755859
Sent date: 05-Oct-18 14:50:29 BST

Dear crisnmand7,

Hello,

These sim cards can be used in the EU but they need to be activated in the UK first to enable them to work.

Kind regards

EBS

- ebsmobilephones

Hi this is the reply i received .I only contacted them as some other card info i have looked at states activation in the Uk.

As for using a VPN ,i dont even know what that is lol :(.
All this sim card and internet devices are all new to me .
I could activate it just before i go and use in the third month as its good for 90 days.
We used about 10 gb a month last year on a 3 month trip,so will probably use it in one month.
I think i will take a sim with me and try activating it in Spain and just bring it back to us in Uk if i can't.

I don't leave until beginning of November , so some more research time.:whistle:.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
"3" has proved effective for us. We bought two data sims this year, which lasted us for four months. I was warned that 4G could sometimes run away with memory, depending what you were surfing. Never had problems with "3" being unavailable and the download speed really seemed to depend on local services which could be very slow depending on the local supplier. Moviestar always seemed good but Yoigo could be dreadful at times.
Vodaphone proved most expensive and unreliable, with areas sometimes having no signal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We are off tomorrorso I activated mine to be save the ood one only had 300mb on so put it in a dongle I had around.
If you can live with 3G and don't do much uploading Thee is OK but not for me.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I have been looking at an EE data sim 12 gb over 6 months £24.99.
But when you read the info it says "delivered at 2 gb per month for six months." So is the 6 gb for 3 months delivered in the same way? If so you can't leave it until the last 30 days and use the whole 6 gb.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
And often the upload speeds are diabolical that's why I have given up with them.
I'm using 3 now in Spain and yes its slow but I had a text from 3 saying I now have 15gb to use in Spain, they might have upped the allowance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is it any cheaper to buy a local sim, or does it always cost more than taking one from home?
Depends, Nos in Portugal do a €15 unlimited data for 15 days, or €20 for 20 days if you are a heavy data user its a bargin.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have been looking at an EE data sim 12 gb over 6 months £24.99.
But when you read the info it says "delivered at 2 gb per month for six months." So is the 6 gb for 3 months delivered in the same way? If so you can't leave it until the last 30 days and use the whole 6 gb.

Hi that 6gb sim can be used at any amount over the 90 days.
They sell another 6gb sim used at 500gb per month over 12 month at £16:99 .

I'm using 3 now in Spain and yes its slow but I had a text from 3 saying I now have 15gb to use in Spain, they might have upped the allowance.

Yes i read a report today(sure i bookmarked it but cant find it ???) that said due to an ofgem ruling it has changed and the 30gb hotspot cap has gone on any contract over 30gb ,so 100gb contract in now unlimited.

Just found it ,im sure it was a member on here that posted it,ShiftZZ i think
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...oves-tethering-caps-from-4g-mobile-plans.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back